1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

1:1 seems a bit high.

I like white linen folded in non TV fold though. I don't think that's too formal. I do have a few white with coloured borders too.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agree with this, which is why I'll continue to get PSs from time to time.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm getting a Kent Wang pocket square hanger.

Mrs. C was shocked at how "few" squares I had (20+ worn with 9-10 in heavy rotation) and asked me how many squares I felt I needed. I told her I honestly don't know, but I want to get to the point where so won't ever struggle to find a square for whatever outfit I put together (I generally choose the square last).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Anyone have any good pics of themselves with Chelsea boots and suits?

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Ask docholliday, that's all he wears

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Square last for me too. What do you choose first? (typically)

For me, shoes or suit/SC

7. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

No one asked me, but I usually choose shirt and pants first because I have to iron them. I also pick my pocket square last.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

I choose either jacket or tie first.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Disagree. You can't expose a slightly different part of the tie and show a totally different color scheme. Paisley squares on the other hand. Fold/roll them differently and you can show totally different colors.

I wish. Love the look.

10. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Mostly a lurker, but since the ASW point has started some pocket square discussion, I thought I would pose a question here:

the 10(+/-) tie wardrobe, or necktie essentials/basics topic has been addressed umpteen times on the forum, but so far I haven't seen the same topic addressed from the standpoint of squares. Granted, I haven't had time to read through the entire pocket square discussion thread, so I hope I'm not re-hashing here. So - what do you regard as a basic pocket square collection?

For the sake of argument let's say your 5 essential squares, and let's assume that your wardrobe includes some iteration of at least 10 basic/essential/whathaveyou ties, and at least one gray suit and one navy suit and/or sportcoat.

I ask mainly because I am just beginning to acquire pocket squares (have a white linen and a gold/green/burgundy paisley silk), and am on a somewhat limited budget, so I'm looking for maximum versatility. I also am not required to wear a non-black suit very often (classical musician), so I don't aspire to own more than 5 or so PSs anyway.

TL;DR - what pocket squares should one have, beyond just white linen?

11. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know a lot of people around here think this is silly, because a certain member ( :foo: ) posted a whole lot about it, but I think a cream coloured silk square is one of the most versatile squares you can own.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think it's great too.

13. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I think it would depend on if you're wearing the pocket squares with suits or sport coats or both. I have no experience with suits, so I'll speak to sport coats. I have a lot of squares, but these three are my go tos: navy with white/green/red/brown paisley, burgundy with brown/cream paisley, and green neat with burgundy medallions. I think a brown/cream paisley silk and a light blue/white cotton would round out my top five.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Appreciate the responses, guys. In my particular case I think they're most likely to be worn with navy and mid-gray suits, but I'm happy for it to be a broader discussion.

15. Claghorn

White linen. A subtle pattern based in cream or oatmeal. 3 prints or paisley which will go with go with brown, with green, and with burgundy.

At least two of those wool-silk. I think I'd be happy with 90% of my pocket squares being wool silk.

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I think I have about 5 dozen ties and 1 dozen PSs. Im fine with that. Do not own cream silk square. Also fine with that.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Around 60 ties here and 5 pocket squares. 3 of said pocket squares are white linen. I could probably use more but I only wear white linen with my suits and often forego the square when not wearing a suit. Ironically cream silk would actually probably be useful for tweed.

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I'm gonna guess I have 40 ties....one white cotton/linen PS free from Mr. Porter. I've worn it once, for the Stichy & Squirl team challenge.

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator