1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Since when do you not read the complete post? You're arguing a concession I already made.

3. apack

apack Senior member

Pantherella from Sierra Trading Post. Very good deals if you sign up for their e-coupons. Also good socks come through B&S here fairly often.

4. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

TIL I'm terrible at folding pocket squares. I have been trying to duplicate this fold with this square from NMWA. So much fail

[​IMG]

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The gdl fit is one of my five favorite SF fits all time.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Class, right there

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I posted a while back about entirely cycling out chinos, but I do think cords have a place that's kind of unique. Moleskin too.

Cavalry twill is wool right? I think them, flannels, and linen make chinos obsolete. Chinos are versatile and easy/cheap though, but I think they are generally subpar.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I wear cotton trousers and wool jackets all the time. Especially with the military crease, the formality mix works quite well. The main reason I wear cotton trousers is because they're cheap. Luxire cords or canvas trousers go for $80-90. They're great for when it's raining or the streets are dirty, which happens quite often here in autumn.

I have some chinos as well for when I'm travelling, usually in darker colours, so you don't see stains on them. They're perfect for locations where you're likely to get dirty, but still want to look somewhat respectable. Unfortunately, I haven't traveled since my time in NYC this summer, but I have 30 business days plus some bank holidays saved up for next year, so I'm planning to change that.

This is how I dressed when we were travelling around Morocco during the beginning of this year. Temperatures fluctuated between 10 and 20 degrees, so I mostly wore navy chinos, a cotton jacket and either a cashmere polos or linen shirts depending on the temperature. Yeah, the chinos got dirty, but they only cost me $30, and a couple of washes removed most stains, so that's ok. Excuse the extremely touristy obligatory camel in the desert picture. And yes, I'm wearing dainite soled tassel loafers, perhaps the most comfortable travel shoe ever.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

It think cost and versatility/practicality are legit reasons but also the only legit reasons.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks gents...good strategies etc. Helps me think about things.

On the more theoretical question about wool SC and cotton trousers working etc., posted the question in the Lounge thread which seemed a little more appropriate.

Murl...did you get those Drake's squares? You won't regret it, I think. PS are sort of like heroin (I would imagine) though maybe not as destructive. I would have thought 20 squares more than enough (Claghorn) but who knows...

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

@TweedyProf, as promised, here is a pic of the Drakes from Barneys.

This was the best I could do, but I think irl the tie is a bit more creamy mocha, not quite as chocolate brown as the pic implies.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Good looking that El S, great pick up :nodding:

13. TweedyProf

Agree with Cleav. Good pick up.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

Thanks, doods!

1 person likes this.
  15. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

From the a suitable wardrobe blog....

"I believe that a well-dressed man needs roughly as many pocket squares as he has neckties (the corollary to this rule is that the majority of men would be better dressed if they had half as many neckties and twice as many squares). "

Curious, is your Tie:pS ratio 1:1, less than 1:1 or greater than 1:1. Seems like with all the colors on a square it should be able to serve duty with multiple ties.

16. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I think I have the kind of wardrobe that ASW is talking about. I have about thirty ties and ten to twelve squares. I think that my ideal wardrobe would be about 25 versatile, well-chosen ties and about fifteen squares. Don't think I'll ever get close to 1:1.

17. TweedyProf

I don't get that ratio and I'm reductive. My goal in squares is diversity from a single square. Take many of the recent PSs from Drakes. Many of them combine a set of colors and patterns such that I can imagine that same square used with five or so ties. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with more squares but I can see 5 well chosen squares going a long way per season (not counting white linen). The 1:1 seems odd to me. Where'd that come from?

18. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It comes from nowhere, like all of this stuff. You could have just 1 pocket square (a white linen one), over even zero and just never wear pocket squares. Similarly with ties, I think it's fully possible to have only 10 ties, even if you wear ties every day, and three or four pocket squares, and be very stylish. I've been luggage-limited for a month at a time with only three ties and three pocket squares and it wasn't really a problem. Of course at home, I have much much more (embarrassingly many) but that's because I'm a philistine and just like new things, not because there's anything I "need" in order to be "well-dressed" (all IMHO of course).

But I think the general point that dudes who like dressing and do wear pocket squares often end up with more ties and fewer pocket squares is valid. Partly because you just run into ties more often than pocket squares. But also because pocket squares are better opportunities for splashes of non-standard colors because you show only a little bit of them. It's true that some of them you can fold in many ways and get different colors, but even so expanding the number of PSs you have broadens your possibilities at least as much as getting more ties.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

A few diversely colored and well patterned squares could make do with just about everything save the white linen for a more formal time. Seriously.

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

same is true of ties tho

1 person likes this.