Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Winter builds character. Or so I tell myself...

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

So far I have been Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, and Seoul. DC/Northern VA is pretty dull. Chicago is very nice but I'd rank Boston above it. The cold in Oct/Nov in Chicago was piercing and unbearable. Maybe I will feel the same way about Boston when the cold weather arrives. NYC is like an armpit. Worst city ever. Seoul is nice and is like nonstop party city with hot girls (post plastic surgery) everywhere.

3. archibaldleach

^ Chicago is all about appreciating June through September, including being able to run / bike along the lake, get on a boat and hang out in Lake Michigan, chill on beaches and outdoor dining. The rest of the year you curse the weather under your breath while enjoying the things the city has to offer.

4. AJL

AJL Senior member

@EFV Your wish is my command. As ever, excuse the poor photography and even worse lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another jacket, for comparison:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. rms340

rms340 Senior member

I moved to Chicago last October from Dallas and dealt with one hell of a winter. I appreciated the hell out of this summer, especially since it's a lot cooler than Dallas summers. Unfortunately, I'm mentally gearing up for another winter here :confused:

6. archibaldleach

^ Good luck adapting. A friend of mine from California was pretty miserable his first winter but slowly got a bit more used to it. At least there are a lot of places to get hard alcohol and other drinks that make the winter months seem less bad.

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Hmmm...my colleague once said a phrase to refer to the rich in New England who go down to the tropics during the winter...forgot if there is a word for them.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Boston is the best walking city in America. Hands down.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

JL, those look really good for RTW. I have a few MTM pieces (pre-SF) that aren't as clean in the back. From these pictures, I'd say the plaid jacket looks great. With some small nips and shortening of the sleeves it will fit beautifully.'

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Agreed. Boston is an amazing spot, I was actually blown away when I went. I know it's not a "major city" but I loved New Orleans as well. Top two U.S. tourist cities in my mind.

Best all season city is Montreal. The only place I've been where the weather gets to -30 and they say "screw it, let's have a rave outside". Way more bearable than Chicago, NY or Toronto in the winter despite being a lot colder, it really doesn't miss a step.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Snow birds?

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

...think u might be right.

13. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

^ Correct

There isn't a person over 60 who lives in upstate New York if they can avoid it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  14. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

Enjoying all the Boston love. I've enjoyed visiting and living in major cities in the U.S. and Boston is my personal favorite. There's so much diversity here and everything is fairly easy to access by foot or public transit. The downsides as I see it: Winter, cost of rent/mortgage/HOAs in the city, and endless supply of neuroticism that comes with an oversaturation of intellects, There are a few sartorial cons, but it's just a train ride to NY.

@akoustas : agreed about New Orleans. There's no other place quite like it. Wonderful place to visit and there's a vibrancy there that's ushered in a new generation of entrepreneurs, artists, and progressive thinkers. Living in Louisiana...well, that's a whole different story.

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I remember we had a discussion about pleated casual pants such as cords and chinos on here, so I thought I'd show my latest iteration of pleated Luxire trousers, in a lovely cream corduroy fabric. They're straight out of the box, so pretend the wrinkles aren't there.

[​IMG]