Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Quote: For starters Pedro pitched to DHs who were, you know, paid to be hitters, instead of say Bartolo Colon and friends. Pedro also pitched during an era in which hitters were juicing like it was going out of style. What he did was far more impressive than Kershaw, and this is coming from a tortured Jays fan (although I liked the Expos and got to see him there).

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Are you thinking of Oleana near Inman?

I am always tempted by the mr and mrs Bartleys when I am at Harvard.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Nope it's a place on pearl street in central. Bartleys is good too though!

It's called baraka cafe.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The most aggravating aspect of the last 20 years is that the Redskins are rarely terrible (last season notwithstanding). They're just good enough to give their fans hope before coming up short in the most agonizing of ways. Interesting fact: The Redskins beat three out of the last four Super Bowl champions during the regular season in which that team won the Super Bowl (Ravens, Giants x2, and Packers) and came within a botched chip-shot field goal of doing the same to the Saints.

5. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

^ With all due respect, we Bills fans have it far worse. We've beaten contenders to start every season, usually starting 3-0 only to finish 6-10. Haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 15 years. To add insult to injury try living in the Buffalo/Niagara region (no longer there thankfully..).

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I can't even imagine the agony of being good enough to get to three consecutive Superbowls, but not good enough to win even one. My Cowboys have been stuck in perpetual mediocrity for a loooong time. But I think I would prefer this to losing three Superbowls. Not sure, but I think so. Bills fans have my sympathy.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

In retrospect: I should have known better at that point (even if I was 8).

8. ridethecliche

Clothing related questions. I know light blue shirts are the preference for SF, but I've been scouring ebay to find a couple of nice spread collar shirts for interviews and found some CT ones for a reasonable price.

Some of the shirts are white or have light blue or blue stripes (bankers stripes?). I know white is fine for interviews and such, but are stripes okay or just too busy?

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Technically four consecutive Superbowls. And yeah, this is why I can't bring myself to dislike the Bills even though they are in my team's division.

10. archibaldleach

I'd say to stick to white shirts for interviews when in doubt. Light blue shirts are popular on here because they go better with most odd jackets and are also fine with a suit in most cases. Light blue and white striped shirts are a reasonably conservative pattern, but I think white is safer.

11. ridethecliche

Light blue stripe one on the left:

[​IMG]

12. archibaldleach

^ I like that shirt and have something similar. It's perfectly fine and conservative and most likely will not raise any eyebrows (especially considering how most people dress for school admission interviews). I personally tend to go as conservative as possible for interviews, however, hence the white shirt.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

nice choice RTC :nodding:

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have both of those RTC and the one on the left is very conservative. The one on the right is a little more bold. Like others have said, I would probably wear a white shirt to an interview, though.

15. ridethecliche

I currently have one white and one light blue shirt that will work. I'm planning on starting to build up with a few basic shirts in case something gets destroyed. I honestly want a back up suit as well since I'm a bit of a planner for these things and it would suck to have a stain or something between interviews with no recourse.

Thanks! I'll try picking up a few. I need a few decent shirts anyway for when I play dress up. If I pick up a few staples and then build up over time that'll be way easier since I"ll have things should I 'need' them.

I'm giving a talk at a conference in a couple of weeks in TX. I think an sc and tie is appropriate there so I just want to cover my bases.