Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

JL, any chance of 360 pictures? It's hard to assess fit by only looking at the front. They all look good from the front though, and will probably be great with a slight bit of alteration in sleeve length.

2. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Don't forget that Formosas have a longer front balance (nearly 1" over back?). Meaning, when the front might look just right, the back could already be shortish for the job to CYA.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Yeah, moved to the Middle East last month. It's an opportunity for me to concentrate on building a really complete summer wardrobe.

FWIW a couple of the museums are pretty decent lunch options. The West Wing of the NGA has a really nice cafe that features rotating local chefs that (ostensibly at any rate) pair their menu with the current exhibition. The cafe at the Sculpture Garden is nice as well and great place for an outdoor beer (an jazz in the summer of course).

I think when you live in DC long enough you start to take local amenities for granted. I went a couple of years between museum visits until I had kids and started to take them regularly. Happens anywhere, really. I wish I had visited the Brattle Street Theater more often when I lived in Boston, for example.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I travel to D.C. very often and actually have a home in Chevy Chase...and my favorite museum...and this is the child in me speaking...is the Air and Space museum...haha...I never get tired of it...

I love the National Gallery especially the sections with the great American scenery painters...

I'm not a huge fan of the Hirschhorn...I just don't think the collection is that great...especially when I compare it to the MoMA.

I doubt I have covered all of the exhibits at the Smithsonian...

the new African American history and culture museum that is being built on the mall is going up quick and it looks like its going to be huge...

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

What jssdc said. You live in the suburbs for long enough, you stop caring about the museums. I didnt go even when my inlaws were in town despite flying in all the way from S.Korea. I have been to all of them as a kid. I have fond memories of being there with my parents. But I would not want to spend my weekends there. I guess because I know I can go at any time that I just dont go. Plus, I have NO interest in arts or exhibits. I fell asleep at MoMa (NYC) while looking at a painting.

Spreaking of restaurants, anyone heard of Cafe Berlin? It's a hidden gem in NE. They have Octoberfest going on right now.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Wait, you are partaking in the drink again?

And as a lifelong resident of DC suburbs, I still enjoy the museums some 20 odd years after my first visits

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

The National Portrait Gallery is often overlooked, but I have been there a few times since I live nearby. The interior courtyard is a nice place to eat lunch, and they often have interesting exhibits there. I've never regretted going.

Also, the Phillips is outstanding. They have my favorite Van Gogh, and of course a room full of Rothkos, among many other excellent paintings.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I was there last night....it was very cool.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Proof, the bar/restaurant across the street, is also good.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Just a diet coke for me. [​IMG]

11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Can confirm this--three major celebratory dinners with friends in DC have all been excellent there.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

How about some love for Founding Farmers!!!

13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Do they still do Phillips after 5? That was always fun

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I've only been there for drinks, but it's always packed, so they must be doing something right. Pre-dinner drinks in the Poste at Hotel Monaco courtyard is wonderful as well.

Yep. It's always well attended. The Phillips has done really well at establishing its brand, in contrast to some other museums. *cough*Corcoran*cough

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You talking about Redline?