Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I don't think I'll be able to buy anything after Mrs. Noodles gets hold of the finances.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

From what you've said, I kind of hope this is true.

3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

She's very very frugal so...we might be going to TJ Max, Ross, Marshall's, etc...for my stuff.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

a black overcoat with a gray suit is excellent imo. especially with a velvet collar. want one so bad. though to go really awesome id say a black with white herringbone overcoat with velvet collar would just be kick ass amazing.

but if its a nice coat, and you dont feel like having multiple coats for multiple suits, which is fine, i only have one dress top coat, you are fine over a navy suit, and no you dont need to jake your jacket off, the idea is to be warm. coats have more utilitarian leeway than suits.

been there. nothing wrong with getting rid of everything you own. i did, but do it carefully and slowly, from what i have seen from you, not everything needs to go.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SHINE!!! STAY VERY FAR AWAY!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like it. But it is far from a staple (single breasted peak lapel...and slightly oversized as far as single breasted lapels go). That's the kind of thing you wear twice a month, max.

Instead, something like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both have patch pockets, are of a slightly rougher weave, and one has brighter buttons--all features distinguishing these as odd jackets and not orphans.

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I'd own two overcoats, if possible - a navy double breasted to go over my gray and and other non-navy suits, and a lighter gray shade to go over my navy suits.

Nothing wrong with what In Stitches recommended, either. They all fall under that timeless, classic look umbrella - just a matter of the smaller personal preferences.

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah, I don't know that it would be more than a "friday" jacket for me but I'm strangely attracted to peak lapels. But for realistic weekly use I agree with the ones you posted. Which leads me to my next question, how is an orphan jacket determined vs. If I just wore my suit jacket from one of my suits. To me the two jackets you posted could very well be a part of a suit and I couldn't tell. Are they from SS?

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Flap pockets and no fabric texture are two good starting points for deciding a jacket was probably the top half of a suit.

You'll also notice the buttons on the two posted SC's aren't just regular blue or black buttons - another sign it was more meant to be a SC in addition to having patch pockets and a textured fabric.

Plain navy worsted wool isn't really ever designed to be something aside from a suit. Ditto plain silk.

After a while you just sorta know from muscle memory without always being able to articulate why something is a waste of time.

The dual role this thread has assumed is an interesting one.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I suppose it will always be about Rudals/Noodles (at least for 1 more year if Claghorn is right), but it's sort of nice as a venue for someone who wants more large scale changes to come and have people weigh in. That also provides a nice way for people to talk about topics, with an eye towards lending practical advice. I've enjoyed reading it.

I have noticed on Yoox many SCs with jetted pockets which seems to me just odd. I'm inclined to avoid those.

JR, agree with what TM79 said, who put it very nicely.

10. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Interesting...

By the way I just wanted to take a moment and thank you guys. I'm sure this has been covered on a broader basis and in other threads but I really do appreciate the personal attention and time that all of you have given to myself and I'm sure Noodles shares that sentiment. When I do strike it rich I'll keep this in mind [​IMG] In them mean time any time any of you make it to Chicago let me know and a few rounds are on me. If you're not a drinker than we'll hit up some local food joints or something. I just realized I haven't had a drink in 6 weeks....not like I don't drink I just have cut back quite a bit.

11. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Oh yeah, I actually meant it in a nice and sincere way - not an offhand one as you occasionally see in different threads here.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I really like what this thread is becoming. And no, it should not be about me, TweedyProf.
    I am glad that other people are getting help too. It should be that way.[​IMG]

13. TweedyProf

Sorry, I read you as sincere. Meant to just agree. I'm verbose, in a professorial way [​IMG].

14. TweedyProf

Soon it will not be! Then you can post like Stitch, crushing it in multiple threads.

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Then in that case ...

:cheers: sir!