Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. europrep

europrep Senior member

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Don't very do that again, Noodles. Thank you.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles, sockless looks can work but they must not involve wearing socks and generally work better with things like loafers and dress shoes.

Pretty much nothing.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha that's hilarious. I grabbed because someone else wanted it. I might keep it to wear with jeans and a T shirt though. Undecided.

5. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

"Undecided" - all hope is not lost then.

At work you'll stand out, and not in a good way, as the excentric guy wearing "funny" stuff. No promotion, ever, or if, for reasons like 'getting rid of the eye sore'.
    In a social environment you'll stand out as the weirdo, women and guys alike will avoid being seen with you. No more invites to social events, ever, unless you meet the other odd single guy out there, in an electric blue jacket, and you decide to found the odd couples club...
    Best case scenario really.

(Lol at the "peeled tomato")

6. ridethecliche

There's no chance for promotion at work anyway, so no loss there haha. It's obviously something I wouldn't wear often, but for once in a while it would be pretty awesome. I can see it looking pretty good in a fit with a summery vibe (cream linen pants, dirty bucks, etc).

7. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

You'll be in good company
    [​IMG]

8. ridethecliche

Hahha I love this thread.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

RTC, Three shades darker and it would work, maybe, just. But this? Virgin Atlantic ground crew?

Noodles. Really, what the fucking fuck? Don't do that again. Buy some nice socks.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I think the occasional WTF moment from Noodles is useful. Kind of brings this thread full circle every so often. But otherwise I agree.

11. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Speaking of brown SCs, I treated myself with this. Can't wait for it to arrive:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for those wondering, the SC I purchased earlier from jrd617 and mentioned on this thread fits great with medium grey and dark brown trousers. I'm really happy with it and the fit is spot on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am also requiring your expertise, fellow Noodlers. I'm planning on purchasing the following tie

[​IMG]

But am also tempted to purchase one of these two (or maybe both if they're not to similar according to you). Given that I purchase tie #1, which of the following two would you recommend

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I wished no 1 was a suit.

Ties, there are sooo many nicer ones out there, especially Vandas (but no 3 is still the best). Also, 1 and 2 are very x-massy in vibe (red-green 'Oh Tannenbaum' like).

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

The Canali SC as a suit would be a killer, yes. But I believe it will serve me well as a SC also. I've been looking for a rich dark brown SC. Hopefully this'll be it.

As for the ties, when you put it that way, yes, they have a christmas-like vibe. Trying to put together two separate orders, one from Cappelli and another form Vanda. I have 3 other ties from Cappelli in my shopping cart and 3 or 4 additional from Vanda (haven't decided on one tie with a navy base yet, beside the green one above). If I had to choose between #2 and #3, I'd probably choose #3. I'll have to think #1 and #2 over given your feedback. Thanks.

14. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

That Canali looks nice, will do well as an SC, too. Paired with Grey, tan or blue-ish grey flannels maybe?

Ties are always an underestimated, difficult job. If you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll see lots of recommendations. If anything, the trend seems to be going (back) towards stripes. I'm sure you'll get more recommendations or feedback when you post another selection. Always good to mention what suit/sc/outfit you aim to pair with.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

As for the SC, that was my plan also. Trying to find blue-ish grey and coffee flannels also but haven't found what I'm looking for. I know Panta stocked really nice ones but they didn't fit me properly unfortunately.

As for ties, I'm really just trying to build up my wardrobe. The bulk of my wardrobe consists of ties with a navy base, some burgundy, brown, green, rust and a bunch of solid grenadines. I'm not into striped ties, although I own two (navy-brown and navy-burgundy). I have the base covered and am trying to develop the wardrobe further by incorporating some color.