1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

FTFY

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. TweedyProf

Yeah, that's a nice one isn't it? Given the price, not for the first jacket though.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Claghorn,

I finally had some time to look up the Washington shop in YiTaeWon. I only found a phone number. It is unfortunate but they don't have a website. I guess I will just have to visit in person.
    But I did find the next best thing. Have you heard of the Hamilton's?

https://hs76.com:4812/https.htm

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

All of the above. Don't shorten the base jacket and don't slim the sleeves. I know personal preference but...

5. TweedyProf

The arm hole is a bit low so I would have it brought up a cm which is still lower on the last one they made for me (different model, so had to remeasure). Compensating for the sleeve for that reason. Not drastic...specific reason you wouldn't slim it?

Ok, while we are at it, rank fabrics in order of preferences (also nays)?

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Agree strongly with this. I guess I am in the camp that anything worth doing in matters sartorial is worth doing well. Once the concerns about precise tailoring, construction and other things that we worry about with CM are no longer factors (I suppose construction of casual trousers could be a factor), however, I can see how a less expensive product could satisfy. For me, though, I never enjoyed wearing sweaters / dressing casually until I had some nice stuff to wear. I love wearing my Inis Meain stuff as much as my tailored clothing, just in different contexts.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are we still styling @Claghorn? Clags, what do you have that's not navy or blue? I know you've posted this before, but help me remember...seems like you could use some summer stuff. Do you have any non-blue linen? Also are you still getting stuff made for you or is that over now that you're not next to BnT anymore?

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

9. The Noodles

^These two.

10. unbelragazzo

Micro houndstooth is for suit IMHO. HB is too bright for fall/winter and too heavy for summer. Donegal is my favorite, but a little hard to trouser with. Navy/blue checks is pretty good, but blue seems a little bright in that photo. Might be a lot better IRL.

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

Highest -- 3, 6, 5, 1, 2, 4 -- Lowest

12. TweedyProf

Thanks all, but you're not converging on the same answers!

Unbel, I do think a bigger houndstooth would be better (saw one on the bus after leaving the store and thought, yep bigger/better). You don't like brighter colors in fall/winter?

13. unbelragazzo

Some brighter colors are good in fall/winter, but not bright blue. Think about the colors you see around in the fall/winter. Rust, violet, and whatnot.

14. TweedyProf

Yeah, I know and have preference for a muted fall color scheme, but the sky, when it comes out in winter, is bright. Navy isn't much of a fall color, except I suppose in, well, the navy!

That said, I'd never wear sky blue in the winter, or be disinclined to. Will check on how bright that blue is IRL if I press ahead.

15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

6, but the Moonbeam version is better. Too bad they don't have that.

16. TweedyProf

There comes a point where for a bit more, through Formosa at NMWA, a MTO might be the way to go.

Greg once posted a really nice rich almost coppery herringbone when he was offering the first MTO. Didn't make it to the top, but I thought it was great.

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ That's pretty much the conclusion I've reached and why I've joined a number of the GMTO's. The value proposition is pretty high, as long as the fit works.

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I've come to that point...now I can't settle for much less. I am giving Eidos MTO a shot through NMWA though...nice prices.

19. The Noodles

Glad I can just slip into RTWs with no major alterations.

1 person likes this.
  20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clags, something like the London Lounge houndstooth would be a nice addition to your rotation:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.