Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Yes, you're crazy. I get the appeal of buying it because it fits well but if you're planning on wearing it often plan on being out $260 soon. How about a suit from Spier&Mackay? Here's my review: http://www.styleforum.net/t/383376/spier-mackay-official-affiliate-thread/315#post_7286919 It's clearly no Formosa or Eidos but if you like the Suit Supply Napoli style or Havana fit I doubt you can do better (new, non-Ebay division) for sub-$300. You're not going to get a truly beautiful lapel roll or the fantastic three-dimensionality of a Neopolitan-style fully-canvassed suit but that doesn't seem to be what you're in the market for anyway. I have the S&M (how's that for an abbreviation) suit in both navy and medium gray. The navy sharkskin looks great as well but I barely have any opportunities to wear a suit right now as is.

2. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd say you're crazy to consider it. I'm going to infer from the fact that you only own one suit that you do not have frequent occasions to wear a suit / do not wear one often. If you are already going to get something from Suit Supply in 3 months or so, I don't see too much point in getting this. Why not save the money and move up the Suit Supply purchase. Sure, in theory you should have one grey solid and one navy solid suit, but I suspect you'd just end up wearing the Suit Supply one more often if you like it better and the Calvin Klein one is just going to sit in your closet. I think people in general are better off only buying things they really want.

5. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

^
    Agreed. Better to get one thing you really like. I've let countless pieces go to the wayside because I got them on sale and jumped at the deal. A few pre-SF Hugo Boss items come to mind [​IMG] Use the 260 towards a couple shirts and a tie for the better suit.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Akoustas - Those are both absolutely excellent, but very different colors of brown, and both with very different hues. One warm, one cold.

I actually have one of each, the Hober you saw, and a Drakes, and I would recommend highly you do the same.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Noodlers, hoping to get some feedback on this guy.

Appreciate it in advance!

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Rtc,
    When is ur inteview?

9. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Button placement seems off to me (a little too low slung and the buttons themselves may be placed a hair too close together for my taste).

Wait, RTC, that's not for your medical school interview is it?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I'm not certain how much useful feedback you can expect from a picture of a jacket (poorly draped) on a hanger.

11. ridethecliche

Well, I have one offer so far and I'm waiting for more. I'm guessing the bulk will be in November/December through feb. I'm hoping to have ten or so.

Oh goodness no!

Was mostly asking about versatility and utility. I'm on the fence.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Ah~ I was gonna bring you something...like a tie.

13. ridethecliche

Haha thanks. When I said offer, I meant interview by the way. I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. I probably won't know till the spring at the earliest. Sigh. It's so drawn out...

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Gorge is on the low side, you're right. I'd date that jacket to the 1990s Width isn't bad

15. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Isolation

Just a thought. Here's what you've learnt about your fits: (1) your drop right shoulder is going to be a perennial problem and (2) light weight fabrics accentuate it even more.

So, learning from past experience, this suggests a possible approach to mitigate the known problem and its worst effects. In future, I think your bespoke standard operating procedure should be to: (1) use medium to heavy weight fabrics only -- never light weight and (2) go for half lined for all your summer/tropical jackets to allow for the heavier fabrics. In other words, this could be your own standardised "jacket chassis" approach. However, it would require you to go against the trend towards light weight fabrics.

Nice new commissions, btw.

BK

Edit: Obviously, continue to have structured right shoulder, as shown above on the pale blue jacket. Very nice! Conduit cut?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014