1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I can help you resist. It looks like #hit. J/k

But like I said before, I think you need SCs and ties that are clear in their colors because I notice that you tend to like a blend of colors that really don't say what color they are.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

its his signature move. :plain:

2 people like this.
  3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I seek perfection. [​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I only like the third.

I'd add that the first two seem actively unpleasant to me for a variety of reasons, and the last has nice colours but the scale of is too big for use as a discreet tie, while simultaneously not big enough for a bolder look.

Very versatile colour. Styling is typical RLBL; one either likes it or not. If it fits, it'll be a useful suit, but you might want to find one in a similar colour with more traditional styling. Up to you.

This forum hates shiny ties simply because they're shiny ties. Big mistake IMO.

Shiny ties can be really great. But you need the right kind of shiny for daytime: the glossiness of a printed silk tie against a conservative suit, not the sheen of satin. While at night, satin ties can set of a relatively formal outfit brilliantly by adding an item that catches the light off candles or low lights. In the right applications, ties with sheen are fantastic, and can enhance an outfit much more than a matte tie under those - admittedly fairly narrow - circumstances.

The trouble is that those circumstances are relatively rare for many readers, even on SF: not many wear still wear formal suits to work, and fewer still wear them out to dinner in the evening. So this generalisation of sheen=bad develops, as a satin tie with an odd jacket country-esque daytime outfit is terrible, and those nasty TK Maxx multistripe satin ties look cheap with business suits.

I don't own one these days, but yes, it's very versatile: use it wherever you like the idea of a light silk square but white would be too harsh a contrast. That's a lot of outfits.

However, if you already have a number of other squares, I think there's less need for it. It may be versatile but I don't think it's always optimal in those situations. Depends a bit on your personal style too.

This one is easy. Buy a cheap white one, and wait until it yellows. I'm not even kidding. I have one very old white linen square that has naturally yellowed slightly with age. I don't wash it, because I rather like the cream colour.

Very nice. I have the tipped version, as well as at least one other Drakes grenadine. Be gentle with them when undoing the knot, or you can tear open the long seam. They're the only ties I undo the slow way (reversing the steps to tie the knot), rather than just pulling it through to undo it.

5 people like this.
  5. in stitches

you seek not wanting people to see your errors, and it confuses the shit out of things. :)

my rec would be to leave the originals pics and just add a corrected one so people can see what went down.

3 people like this.
  6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Ah! I get it. I tend to do this A LOT. Sometimes, I would even just delete the picture.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3 people like this.
  8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Double Post 'cus I can't do jack at work right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Dude, what width did you get? Is that a 3.75? Looks mad wide. Could just be the angle...

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

His spec says 9cm or 3.55 inch. Is this considered too wide for my frame?

12. in stitches

i like it.

2 people like this.
  13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ 3.5 inches is a classic width and I can't imagine it would be too wide for you.

3 people like this.
  14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Doodals it's good, don't press that reflex return button

2 people like this.
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Does it look obnoxiously wide to anyone else?

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Nope, looks great. Just make sure your next suit doesn't have wimpy lapels.

1 person likes this.
  18. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That's wider than I get and you have a skinnier frame

I ordered 3.35's

It looks fine, but maybe order narrower next time

19. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, it looks fine. I'm sure people here have ties from 3 to 3.5 inches in width. It's a beautiful tie, Rudals. Revel in it.

If anything, you need wider lapels to balance (and the wider lapels will look better to, just adds more substance to the top half).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Man, good thing I didn't just get another Zegna 'cus their lapels just got even narrower than that. What's going on with the lapels?! They're calling it a trend. Unbelievable.