1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I can see shantung being a distraction. I own 4 myself and there are moments I look down and think, damn is that a kitchen rag? I jest a little.

They are sluuuuuuuuuby and that is an extreme for some. I rather like them but it requires a certain fit and awareness of the season (though I will wear them into early fall).

Still four is enough. I'd now prefer slightly less slubby say in a drakes tussah or in a linen, or some mix. You still get the more casual vibe.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Oh yes to stitch and MD on wool. There are some nice challis ties you could try first. I still wistfully think of Pliny's blue medallion cappelli which Pliny kindly pointed out to me was available at gentlemans footwear but I waited too long!!!!

There are nice wool/cashmere tied noodles that will allow you to play with texture in a subtle way.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Shantungs appeal to me because every single one will be unique due to the process of making them.

And the 'unfinished' nature feels a bit zen. Imperfection is perfection.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I love shantung because TEXTURES ARE AWESOME!!!

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're not part of the shantung team! Everything is awesome!

If you don't have kids, you won't understand.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

mimo, if you really think that anyone is locked into the Apple world, I'm afraid you just don't know much about how iOS, MacOS, and iCloud interact. For example, all of my music is stored locally, but it is accessible on any of my devices without having to transfer files. In theory, anyway. Match still has some wrinkles, but it mostly works without a hitch.

Apple does make some things around music and video files difficult, but it's a legacy of the time when media companies were wary of letting Apple sell content through iTunes and Apple bent over backward to reassure them. They are far from evil. They are also far from perfect. The religious fervor of some Apple fanatics (and, conversely, Apple haters) is a bit hard to understand.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Right, Noodles. Ten ties.

Firstly, you're doing OK. I'm not keen on the TF check, or the pindots, but that's just my taste, there's nothing inherently wrong with them. You've also got a couple of lovely burgundy neats there, and have no fewer than three greenish neats, which look OK. That Drake's burgundy neat is the pick of the bunch in my view. But I would say that. Now, three things:

First, you like blue ties, and they are perfect for your environment, especially as you are now growing a nice set of non-navy suits. So we can have a couple more, but I don't think you need anything as plain as a navy grenadine. If you're doing more blue, do something classy. Second, you are not sure about wool challises, which is fine, so there is another perfect autumnal tie for you, which is the madder. Ties beautifully, light and easy to wear, and those muted shades are interesting and professional at the same time. I do love a madder. And third, you do indeed need some texture, so if shantung isn't really your thing, a tussah might work, and some more grossa grenadines. Finally, a bit more colour variety, perhaps. Here we go:

Two beautiful madders from Panta. Wonderful dry hand, these, and I love my two so much I think I'll be having these too before the year is out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of tussahs from Drake's, giving you some texture and in colours that might add something to your rotation while still being professional.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another madder, this time from Drake's, in a conservative tone but a lovely contrasting colour for the pattern:

[​IMG]

Now, three very different madders from Vanda: less conservative colours, but that muted tone again makes them very wearable yet interesting. You can definitely carry these off beautifully against your navy suits:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, a couple more of your beloved grenadines - heavier texture, and more interesting colours. Here's a lovely olive from Drake's:

[​IMG]

And a beautiful warm sandy brown from Exquisite Trimmings: stay on their affiliate thread as there are SF discounts on top of this already awesome price. Nice selection of colours, lovely guy to do business with:

[​IMG]

Even Mrs Noodles can't quibble on the price of this one.

Good luck, young fella. Go get some ties. Also keep an eye on Kent Wang, Conrad Wu, Henry Carter in particular, Yellow Hook....etc.; just shout if you run out of choice.

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Excellent! Thank you very much Mr.Nemo. I appreciate your advice.
    It appears some just don't like the TF checks.
    At any rate, I will look into your suggestions. I really need some break-out ties. The current collection is too...safe.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I mean stuff like having to manage your music through iTunes instead of using your iPod or phone as a simple external drive, and that it all shares info whether you want it to or not...that kind of thing. But they're all headed that way I guess. Apple just made it normal.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I'm pretty sure everyone shares info (they'll say anonymized and aggregated, of course). Google's entire business is based on that. As for simple external drives, I remember the bad old days of MP3s pre-iTunes. No thanks. iTunes is slow and kludgy, but still an improvement in my book.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I'm feeling very Noodlesque at the moment. Planned to pull the trigger on these bad boys today, but keep hearing a voice in the back of my head asking if I'm really about to pay $600 for non-shell cordovan boots.

[​IMG]

12. Kira

Kira Senior Member

Would The Fappening still occur even if they used external hard drives?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NewShoes - Those are pretty awesome. Screw $ Kop boots.

14. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

New, that's a complete no brain robocop!

15. aglose

aglose Senior Member

@mimo
    "if they have all your data, you can never leave." Eagles reference?