Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Um...I would do a midnight navy but I gave my black tie away. I have been brainwashed into thinking all blacks are bad.

Don't like wool. I just don't.

Add 2 black ties?! Why?!
    No more pindots.
    I'll work on finding some good neats.
    I think I need one pow tie

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Sorry didn't read carefully, I would not have recommended Blue/Navy. Not really feeling any of the jackets you posted. I like the fabric of the epaulet but the cut is just blah. The belvest would have been interesting with patch pockets but as-is it's a no show and the eidos is too interesting a fabric.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles, I suggested adding black ties because they are elegant and work well with both navy and grey suits. One in grenadine and one in some sort of twill weave is all you need. Honestly you could get by with one just to have to change things up a bit. Seeing your collection, I think you have enough pindots and probably do not need more of them for now. The other solid colors I mentioned are all important and you can definitely get some mileage out of having ties in similar colors but different weaves. It's a good way to branch out without really branching out.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Do pindots count as formal ties? I.e., are they interview appropriate or are solids/repps just a better idea all around?

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Totally interview appropriate IMHO.

7. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I think in general pindots and foulards are more formal than repp ties, which is why you'll see folks in the CBD thread tend to wear the former over the latter. Solids are fine interview ties but I'm guessing you mean like a silk twill or grenadine and not a shiny satin tie.

8. kulata

kulata Senior member

Not a tie guy but I tried to come up with a list (don't know how you guys pick ties. It's a painful exercise for me)

Black Grenadine Fina
    [​IMG]
    https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/black-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-7.html

Rust Grenadine Fina
    [​IMG]
    http://www.chippneckwear.com/rust-grenadine-tie/

Midnight Blue Pattern Challis Wool Tie
    [​IMG]
    https://www.samhober.com/macclesfie...esfield-midnight-blue-pattern-wool-tie-1.html

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I must be getting seriously old - just found out what everyone else seems to have known for about three months.

Apple is dropping both iPhoto and Aperture and replacing them with a new app "Photo" which will store images in iCloud.

If you add up all my iPhoto and Aperture libraries, I've got something like 100GB of image data. As if Apple will give me that much storage space. Who knows, they might even make it "free" at the start, then no doubt, once all my stuff is safely tucked away in their Cupertino servers and I've gotten lazy and stopped backing it up elsewhere, they will start charging me a heap for it.

Not only that. Every time I open my cloud-based image database and start manipulating it, surely I'm going to be chewing through a shitload of data transfer. Fine if I'm at home with unlimited fast internet. But what about when I'm travelling, linked in via some painfully slow hotel data plan, or in China where access to American servers is often blocked or flaky, or simply in a place where I can't get online?

Couple of questions for the cognoscenti:

1. Does anyone know whether Apple Photo will allow the option of not storing images in the cloud?

2. What is the smart money doing now? Migrating to Lightroom?

Posting here because many of us will surely be affected and I'm hoping some of you may have already thought the implications of this bombshell through.

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You're killing me, Noodles. Give me your money and an hour and I'll buy you 20 ties. Where the hell is your suit!?

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@The Noodles, I'd say you need more textual variety. Grenadine grossa, knits and learn to appreciate wool,linen etc.
    Personally, I don't care for shantung, but YMMV.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'd like to be associated with the words of these gentlemen.

(shantung comment aside)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@Cleav doesn't like shantung?

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

RTC, no I do shantung, apologies if I wasn't clear. I agree with Murl and Elio' posts aside from Elio's reluctance to embrace shantung. :D

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

While I usually agree with Cleav, I have to echo the wise words of SugarButch...."I don't want no slubs. A slub is a tie that can't get no love from me".