Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

You don't? I think BnT is very easy to recognize when compared to Steed.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

fify

3. diniro

diniro Senior member

Enjoying the discussion fellas. It's funny. Didn't think the outfit would create this much controversy because I think it's one of my more normal ones :D. I won't try to defend it (thanks to the guys who did) as I think it's just alright, although it's not as expensive as some of you think. Everything was thrifted. I think a lot of the thumbs are just for the individual pieces.

It's good to read commentaries outside the streetwear context. No hard feelings and no need to censor yourself. For me, the less filter the better.

PS I have normal ankles.

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Just in time to go back to bashing my tailor!

Here, he's going to let out the trousers a bit more as it's too tight on the calves, and also shorten it slightly. I'll repost next week and hopefully it'll be okay then. I want to remind everyone this time that I did ask for tighter trousers and Ricky did say it was his fault he made an error with the tailor so he'll get it sorted and the next trousers should be fine. But yeah trousers still super creased but hopefully it can be fixed. Oh and some of the creasing is because the tailor pinned in some alterations at the thigh.

I think the jacket looks okay though, thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to loosen the linen trousers slightly here, which should fix the stacking of fabric, also increasing the opening width because it's causing the trousers to break well onto the shoes or whatever.. There's some bunching of fabric at the back waist with the tweed jacket but I have other photos that don't show this and I suspect it's caused by standing posture more than anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

It actually looks a lot better than last time. The pants are still a big issue, since I'm no tailor I don't know where to start. The jackets look pretty decent compared to the last pics you posted. There are some issues that remain though, such as sleeve pitch. There is bunching in the back of the arm pits/shoulders of the top two jackets because the whole sleeve needs to be loosened and turned backwards. There is also creasing in the back of every jacket (the last one is HEAVILY creased). This should be fixable, by letting out, nipping and tucking in the right spots.

I'm hoping these turn out well in the end, but as I said earlier, some of the issues are hard to fix.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Very cool of you to be so relaxed about it all. I'm kind of embarrassed now. And I did withdraw all pejorative adjectives, which includes "chicken" although of course that's more often employed as a noun.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I think I often get more thumbs if I don't post the brands...

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

If it's Primark, I tend not to mention it*. The lowest I will go is Marks & Spencer**.

*I don't shop at Primark, just kidding.

**But I totally buy cords and stuff from M&S, no shame.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Nope. I actually don't when I see it. I know certain people have worn xyz a lot in the past and I'm more likely to pick up on that.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or bad thing, but just personally what I've noticed. If you pointed out the differences to me, I'd likely remember forever.

10. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

RTC, Tits will be assigning you homework shortly, Im sure, for that statement. In the meantime, get some pics of Incontro and Vox and look at the shoulders and the cut of the lapel and quarters. Difference should be obvious.

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I continue to protest against this philosophy, but in vain, it seems.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'm on the same page.

A loud tie with everything else quiet is like a shot with nothing to chase it.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I was trying to speak in a way he'd relate with, but oh well.

The way I dress doesn't usually fit in that way either, although I've dialed it down a bit in order to figure more things out then work back up again.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Maybe it's simplistic - sometimes it's balance that is the key - more than one strong element in harmony. Rarely does a blank palette with a loud tie look consonant to me. Basically, I think loud elements are harder to pull off - a tie in particular - but making everything else flat is not necessarily the answer.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I am on record as saying I absolutely do not understand fits like yours on that thread. BUT, I want to try to understand what it is that makes it look so good to a lot of people. I cannot even dissect your look due to lack of knowledge so I will not say something like, "It looks weird" because I can't support my statement. Koodos to you for pulling it off with just thrifts. I am lurking in the thread to gain some understanding. But my roots are in Classic Menswear and thus I may have a hard time understanding.

Request of the Day:
    If anyone cares to invest their time, can you recommend some ties for me? I have my staples down but need more. I only have like 20 ties.