Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Lol, but yes. I know that "Great Walls" have become a bit of a thing, but I don't believe that people actually get dressed for them. Its more of a meme than anything else.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's always awesome when you can get any kind of backdrop that adds to the visual appeal of a fit pic, but I think that that is about it. Its nice when you have it, and I am sure that when people happen upon excellent backdrops, they do intentionally take pictures there, but I don't think that they actually get dressed with that intent.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I had a response in the spirit of playing devil's advocate, but remembered that i don't care either way... :bored:

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish I could wear Yohji and not feel like a fraud.

4. in stitches

You could. Also, such great timing. This was just posted in MC WAYWRN LolololollOOLOLOLolllololOLOLOL

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Errbody like a good wall. Errbody.

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

No dark sarcasm in the classroom (quite the opposite of my own teaching style, then)

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Great discussion. Bear with me while I attempt to crystallise my opinion on this with some examples.

1. Thinks very hard about colours, textures, style, cut, fit. Drops 2-3 large on components. Stands in front of wall.

[​IMG]

Result: looks like Cary Grant.

2. Thinks very hard about colours, textures, style, cut, fit. Drops 2-3 large on components. Stands in front of wall.

[​IMG]

Result: looks like Charlie Chaplin.

Personally, I'd rather look like Cary Grant.

8. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

The Cary Grant idoltry on this board is odd, especially considering most here fawn over softer, Italian tailoring. If someone posted a fit that actually was Cary Grant-esque, most would call it woefully dated.

Braddock's fit is not Cary Grant-esque at all.

On the topic of CM vs SWD, CM is akin to artwork before mid-19th century, with its focus on representation, ratios, and the like; SWD is more post-mid-19th century, where those things took a backseat. The audience divide is similar, too; most people, like me, consider SWD and modern art to be rather ugly, but I guess I can understand their goals.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

1) independently of whether or not I like Braddock's fit, nothing about it says Cary Grant to me

2) the starting point for every point directed at you in this discourse was to make it less about what you would want to wear or look like.

10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Cox,

You might get a little more out of reacting against that. Like, if you hate it so much, put the same energy into making how you dress even less like how he's dressed.

But really, CM goes in for the idea of "objective" aesthetics in a way SWD doesn't seem to, in my limited experience. So, if you think there's an objective standard of dress, and that Braddock meets it in a way the other gent (whose name has slipped my mind) doesn't, then you're not as much of an outlier as a SWD poster who were to think that the second pic met an objective standard, and Braddock's didn't.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

EDIT: Unbel beat me to it....what he said.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Is he CM's version of Sinnedk?

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Who, cox? Nah. He actually dresses well.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I see you failed to refute the other aspects...

15. in stitches

The funniest part of all this to me is that Cox's MC posts are closer to SWD in their loudness, and often outre components, than almost any other regular MC poster, save Tira. As a matter of fact, I can think of very few Cox fits that resemble that Braddock fit at all (not a dis, just that is not his style at all as I see it).

If that Braddock fit is really how you want to look, and I gather that intellectually you say you do, but emotionally I think you dont, than you should expend more energy and thought into looking like that, and less energy and thought in going out of the way to hate on SWD, as it seems that in the end, you dont really care to understand or appreciate it. Rather, you quite emphatically point out that you DONT want to look like that. Which is fine, no one is forcing you to look like, but considering how staunch you are on the subject, all points lead me to think that any further efforts to try and "explain" it would be efforts in futility.