1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I have 4, thanks G-d, and who knows what the future holds, and 130k would be a sweet sweet game changer. My kops would be off teh charts.

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I know what the future holds.

chalk stripe. we have four confirmed...so if you and at least three of your kids get in on this...we are good to go!

1 person likes this.
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Claghorn you're planning on becoming a business school professor?

1 person likes this.
  5. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

TBH, the title loses its significance in a hurry. In fact, I cared a lot more about it before I had it, to the detriment of other things and people I wanted to enjoy. Still glad I did it, but now I view it more as a ticket to admission and less as a mark of particular distinction.

6. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Money isn't everything if your not happy with what you do - I work about 12 hours a day in the kitchen cabinetry industry and while the money is good, there are plenty of sacrifices that need to be made along the way. Schooling and advanced diplomas definitely open doors, but nothing slaps you in the face like real world working life. There's bills, problems everyday, constant phone calls and emails, and each and every staff member finding ways to slack off :) Not to mention very limited vacation time, and even while on vacation I still get calls from the office and clients.

This probably has nothing to do with any of the above threads, but I saw guys discussing salaries and I thought I'd chip in. If I could make 300k + per year sitting at a desk and leaving the office by 5pm I'd sell all my shit and take that deal any day of the week.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You have an mba or a phd?

8. heldentenor

PhD. Doesn't it show in the shabbiness of my wardrobe and my fondness for tweed? [​IMG]

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I'm still amused that they changed Master of PT into Doctor of PT in the 90s. I graduated with the latter and can't imagine anyone calling me Dr.

10. ridethecliche

In econ?

Don't worry, they won't. Just like no one calls DNPs doctor. Totally different in clinical settings and academia imho, as it should be.

From what i understand, the programs became very different as well, right?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  11. heldentenor

In history. Twice the laughs but half the pay...

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

Well that explains the tweed. Be sure to get suede elbow patches.

Actually, if you buy used stuff, look up some daks jackets. I have one with amazing suede details. It's my pub jacket since it has a hole in the shoulder that I stitched up but it also got soaked in beer so there it is.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Just tried to mess with one of my coworkers with my hand in a patch pocket of a different jacket. Heard a rip and noticed that I just ripped the stitching by one of the vents. Guess I have another repair to do this weekend. Oy.

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

Easiest way to avoid this scenario is to walk away from SF. No joke. This place is a powerful enabler, all these tasty resources available at the click of a mouse, and all our well-dressed internet friends here to inspire us and point us in the right direction.

it's just a few quick steps from need to want to hobbyist/collector.

And now back to your regularly scheduled kopping.

2 people like this.
  14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

[​IMG]

Critique please. Wearing this with suede Chukkas and belt, dark indigo jeans.

15. ridethecliche

Eh, it depends. Plenty of people on here dress well and are reasonable about it. I've spent far more money than I ever have before, but I'm okay with being a bottom feeder and waiting for deals. It's the mentality that only the best is worth it, that's silly.

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, I might just do that. Perhaps I'll just start posting/reading less. It's a good resource, but seeing awesome things that you'd like to have on a daily basis does not help the long term planning at all.

I don't need to have the perfect wardrobe right now, or even a couple of years from now. What I have right now isn't bad anyways. Most of it is fully canvassed and fits well, so there's no immediate need. I have 12 pairs of shoes, 25 shirts, and 25 ties, so that's more than enough for now. I should be happy with what I have instead of coveting the latest hype shoe or tie maker.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

I think you can still appreciate nice things without feeling the need to have them. It's a good lesson to learn in our capitalist culture.

3 people like this.
  18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@noodles , are you at least still reading SF? Would hate to see you miss out on the NMWA restock of the navy birdseye Formosa (announced today) during your break.

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I can confirm he did not miss out.

---

I want to make so many oodles of money (technical term) but I quite enjoy my quality of life at my job.

2 people like this.
  20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Glad to hear. My first thought when I read about the restock was . .. that's so Noodles to be talking endlessly for months about getting that suit when it is restocked and then to take a time out and miss news of the restock.

1 person likes this.