1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

JR, see what's left in the sales at Drake's, and also Exquisite Trimmings and The Hanger Project. There is no sale but always 10% SF discount at No Man Walks Alone. Shibumi has some nice madders, albeit on the small side. And there's a very eclectic selection at Kent Wang. I'm sure there are others, but that should keep you busy.

1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thank you for playing. The point, dear Noodles, is that you buy Zegna for the same reason as lesser mortals buy Armani. Because you know the name and associate it with quality, regardless of its actual useful value. But it costs more than bespoke for something that doesn't fit right. Which is the choice of a fool.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

while one should never buy just for the label, zegna does make some excellent SF approved stuff.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

JR, I suggest the following from Kent Wang in terms of ease of use:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

No doubt. But to Noodles, it is cake to a fatty. Not that he should never have it again, but for the foreseeable future, he needs a healthier option.

Just the madder at the top, and one of the others. They are all silky with lots of light colour in there, I'm not sure you need more than one of those for starters. They're all cool though.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

i see clags is echoing my advice about large scale PSs. :bigstar:

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Okay, if I get the zzzzZZZzzzegna suit that I tried on yesterday, then it will fit just like the one I have on EXCEPT it will darker.
    But the question is, that won't do jack for my wardrobe collection. It'll just look like all the other suits that I already have.
    I need a suit that will make you say, "Mother father! That is one fine suit, you son of a gun!"
    That's what I am looking for.

8. Claghorn

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the idea of 25 ties. So I went through my collection and decided that if I was trapped on an island, and I could only take 25 ties with me, these would be my 25:

[​IMG]
    Row 1: Sam Hober, Tom Ford, Henry Carter
    Row 2: Sam Hober, Henry Carter, Zegna
    Row 3: Howard Yount, Gitman Bros, Drakes
    [​IMG]
    Row 1: Howard Yount, Brooks Brothers (a wonderful wool-silk blend), Howard Yount
    Row 2: Borrelli, Hugo Boss, Panta
    Row 3: Sam Hober, Panta, Henry Carter

[​IMG]
    Row 1: Howard Yount, Altea, Drakes
    Row 2: Sam Hober, Panta, Sam Hober
    Row 3: Sam Hober

3 people like this.
  9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I talked to NMWA and they will restock the sharkskin suit in the Spring...if that ever comes.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

JR
    Why don't you pick a couple of ties you would wear now, say with your navy blazers/suit. See what people come up with. I agree with advice given. I find a busier, multicolor palette to be helpful (and usable in different fits). I like 2 and 3 of the Wang.

Not much left in the other sales, I think. Stitches Navajo PS is a good one. Sugar Butch also has a sand colored one that he has used to great effect (both drakes, both not available anywhere, I think). I'm no longer as sure about paisleys, and probably would avoid Neat patterns for now (though it depends on your tie).

This might be a fun exercise, if I might be so bold as to suggest one: pick a few PS to match with one or two ties. Post your thoughts, pic of tie and link to square. I'd be interested how people here respond.

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

This is what I was looking at:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't know about folding PS's so I just picked ones based on preference of look and tried to get some that included complimentary colors.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

They look more like the 25 ties that you would take to an island and use for fire. [​IMG]

13. Claghorn

Well how else am I supposed to cook my freshly slaughtered Rudals?

I really don't know about folding PS's so I just picked ones based on preference of look and tried to get some that included complimentary colors.
    First two are home runs. The second set are a bit smaller in scale, and you've already got something with a lot of green, so maybe just the orange?

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

How about todays look?

[​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

You would spend a lot of time wondering why you didn't pack any shirts. :)

Nice set. I might play.

Focus on the now. When they do come, you deserve a weekend in New York, gorging yourself on fitting sessions with NMWA, Panta, Howard Yount, Epaulet, and every other SF-affiliate within fifty miles. BUT for now: no mail order. At all. Just ties, and we're done there for now. I want a full report on your Washington suit shop odyssey, with pictures, by midnight Saturday your time. You hear me?

2 people like this.
  16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Not bad at all - good mix of colours and tones, and with a couple of whiteys I think you've got a winning kit there. But get the Wang one with the big wave too...or something else quirky. It's good for the soul.

17. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Yes, sir!
    Don't worry, Uncle Nemo! There's no way in hell I'll be ordering a suit online unless I am comfortable with the vendor and have past experience. I am going up to NYC in April with her so I will drag her along and keep her away from that area where they only sell overpriced cr@p.

18. in stitches

i hate to break the news, but pretty much no untextured solid simple worsted wool suit will illicit that reaction. also, your next suit should be gray.

3 people like this.
  19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You shouldn't see it as matching/complementing just your tie with your square. See it more like complementing your whole outfit with your hanky. It's perfectly fine to wear a square that has no colours in common with your tie, or the rest of your outfit. For example, a navy suit, light blue shirt, brown tie and a green PS might look fantastic together.

Of course complementing just your tie isn't wrong at all, but there are different levels of complementation(?). Foo, whatever you may think of him, is great at this.