1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

People on the internet seem to make a lot more money than the people I meet in real life...

3 people like this.
  2. kulata

kulata Senior member

Your head is in the right place and you've come to a good realization rather early to your own benefit.

I understand the lure of bespoke (wanting to own the best) especially when you have many people waxing poetic about their experiences and I am also aware of the less than stellar results (just browse the Rubinacci, A&S, NSM threads), enough people look like shit in expensive clothing. But no judgments here, it's where you are in life and your priorities. When you find yourself owning more than you need even for this hobby then it's time to take a step back. Lord knows I own more clothing and fragrances that I could use up in a lifetime but I don't feel any remorse coz I give them away often so I can buy more. :D
    I am pretty old school and I don't believe in personal debt outside of a mortgage(s) so I rely on a monthly budget that has a blow money category that I can spend at my own discretion. After investing, saving, tithing and giving, then you owe yourself something. You can blow it on sale items or save it to fund a more thought out item, bespoke, MTM or expensive RTW; your choice.

So keep up the prudence and hey you are in decent shape so you don't absolutely need expensive clothing to look good. Forum cred be damned. Just an observation.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Why don't you just siphon off your income into different accounts for different purposes?

W% for life expenses: rent, food, going out, etc.
    X% to saving
    Y% to travel
    Z% to clothes

That way you still have play money but don't feel bad for all that other stuff.

At a certain point you definitely have to be honest about yourself about whether you'd actually use the stuff you're buying or if you want it just because you like the idea of having it. Also, find a good RTW that works for you. At a certain point, the only person that can tell is you.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Anyone digging the silver/cream houndstooth? I like it quite a bit.

What color of velvet would you recommend? Feels like it's a bit too gaudy, not that I'm really one who can complain. I did just get a burgundy blazer.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Midnight blue.

Not feeling the houndstooth. Maybe for pants.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Trufax.

What I meant was, I want to make 500k+ whilst sitting on my ass all day shopping and talking fashionz.

People on the internet also have hueg penorz.

5 people like this.
  7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Well, when I was younger I've checked a few websites and that appears to be true.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'll definitely have to put some more thought into this, as it's not an easy question. I just had this sudden realization where I saw myself in 5 years time with lots of expensive clothes that I won't wear frequently enough to justify the cost. That made me think, and that's how I got to this discussion.

When it comes to making $500k+ before you're 30, it's not entirely unachievable if you're working in the right division of a big investment bank. There are guys sitting a couple of meters away from me that make many multiples of that. The hours ain't bad either, from 7:30-5:30 for me, but of course you have to like what you're doing every day if you want to last longer than a couple of years.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Noodles is gone? :(

11. rms340

rms340 Senior member

I actually like all of these combos. Only issue I have is the fullness of the pants, and after lurking on SWD more nowadays, I am a big fan of white understated sneakers. I'm pretty sure my next big shoe purchase will be a pair of white Common Projects.

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Also consider the Epaulet White Trainers. They're awesome

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

No. Just taking a breather. Will return after Thanksgiving.

1 person likes this.
  14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm tempted to get a nice pair too but I don't wear sneakers enough to justify that. Did get three pairs of simple sneakers on discount, so I'll wear them for the next few months see how I feel about them.

Right now I'm breaking in my fresh calf Chukkas and have done an hour and a half or more of walking, let's just say my ankles are building a lot of character and might appreciate a change to something softer.

15. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I dont know anyone who pursued an academic life for the fiscal rewards. Although some (very few) can make that kind of money, they are still choosing lower salaries than they can make elsewhere. Faculty salary surveys are produced annually by all public schools I know of and some (those in Texas, for example) list individual professor's salaries and even ROI!

I know many people in the financial sector and I wouldnt swap with them even on my worst days.

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Management professors seem to start off around 130k and cap around 250k for a 9 month year. I imagine (and hope) they make good money consulting as well. When I get there, I'll be more than happy with 130k. Only planning on one kid. And also planning on sending him/her to school somewhere with a tuition agreement with whatever institution I end up teaching at.

17. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I have a management degree...maybe I need to look into academics because I don't even make that starting salary.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dr. Murlsquirl sounds nice when you say it out loud.

4 people like this.
  19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Yeah, I'm just wrapping up an MBA and with two little ones, the idea of going for a doctorate sounds awful. You can still call me Dr. Murlsquirl though...

20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

You don't need a doctorate.

There is an instantaneous way to graduate to Dr. Murlsquirl.

Get a Formosa navy chalk stripe suit!!!!!!!!!!