1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Sorry, I meant the pleats the other way round, so yes. And visible or not, I find them good for all but jeans.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

People actually wear AE shoes? :/

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

Re: the pleats conversation, if I experiment with pleats it will likely be on a suit or pair of grey flannels that will most often be worn with a jacket. Jeans should not be pleated and I personally find the look of pleated corduroys or moleskins to be rather odd and discordant, but I think you could get away with pleated linen trousers / khakis and even dressier trousers that you plan to wear sans jacket.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Pleats are simply a tailoring technique of shaping a trouser and adding extra material in the right place. It has nothing to do with fabric or formality. You can wear pleated cords or linen trousers without a jacket or a dinner suit with pleats, it's all equally appropriate.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Mimo, lr, and NS1:

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it!

I just bought the amok in tan suede so I have a relatively nice casual boot that will go well with jeans and even chinos. So the grain leather doesn't really fill any void. I have a black chelsea boot and two beater pairs of merlot-esque boots that are my winter shit eaters. They're salt damaged and the leather is ripping, but they're what I'll reach for when it's gross out. I'll change in the office if I have to. Walking around in boston in the winter on a sloppy day with nice shoes on is asking for them to get completely obliterated by salt damage.

The merlot would be awesome and would probably bridge the gap between a casual and formal shoe. I'm sure I could get away with wearing it with suits, but I rarely wear suits (i.e. a few times a year) so it's really not something I have to think about right now. The navy is more of a novelty really, but I like zany things so it could be cool and I'm sure I'd work it into my rotation in the F/W/S because it's attention getting.

I actually have a pair of walnut daltons as well and I've come to realize that they just don't fit all that great. I'm going to try putting a tongue pad in them, but if that doesn't work I think I'll just have a new topy and heel put on and sell them. I should get back most of what I paid I think.

As far as the sizing issues that @New Shoes1 points out, I'd go try on a pair of EC's at a store before ordering. The amoks are supposed to be really narrow but the 8E's fit me relatively well. The heel just hurts my feet, but I'll probably throw a pad in for that. Not sure why they put that weird divot/cup there.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Goooooooooooooooooood morning Noodlers!!!

Anyhow, I know menswear don't translate apples to apples to the ladies but when my wife wanted to get a pair of boots from jcrew, I had to stop her as it seemed like throwing away our money, I'd rather put up some more money for something that will last longer. So I recommended C&Js and this is what she picked out. Y'all with wives, do you just leave your wives to shop wherever or do any of you do something like this from time to time?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/jodhpur-tan

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

7. ridethecliche

No, I actually buy mine to stare at them.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

IME quantity and choice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality and durability when it comes to women's shoes

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Then I'll leave her to zara, H&M, loft, jcrew, rl, etc [​IMG]

10. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

My wife won't even consider wearing a pair of shoes for longer than one season.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

so it's about the look/trend over quality

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Well, thank goodness for the classics that they hang onto. I can't imagine anyone replacing Balenciagas, Louboutins, etc every season haha

13. ridethecliche

Women's fashion flies a lot faster than mens. There's also much more pressure to look trendy. It's a totally different world. I'd compare it more to streetwear than to CM, tbh.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Ah. Thank you gentlemen.
    I have a better understanding of Women's fashion. I need to stop thinking like I am buying for myself when I am out shopping with her. I consider quality more important than appearance.

I am glad those LV bags don't go out of trend. [​IMG]

15. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Wise words. Thank God for Banana, Jcrew, Zara and H&M

Handbag on the other hand.....Let's just forget that topic. :D