Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Congrats! I can only imagine how much effort it must have taken. Do you have any measurements or pictures of your collection being worn? The jackets look a bit short in those pics, so I'd be afraid to buy sight unseen. The overcoat looks awesome though. Are your clothes half canvassed or fused?

2. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Pics?

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

What he said that he said.

Good luck with new endeavor EFV.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Cheap suede can never come back to beautiful. I speak as the owner of some embarrassingly cheap suede to which I'm attached unreasonably.

This is the thing for me. Although, deep down, we buy lots of shoes because they're pretty and we're all big vain fairies, we nevertheless obsess about "quality". We even convince ourselves that paying super premium prices for shell cordovan, hand-welting, even just goodyear welting, is because we are getting "value" from a more durable product. In reality, we rotate twenty pairs of shoes (people are reading this saying "only twenty in your regular rotation? Noob!", brush them and put them on raw cedar trees in special little racks after every use, and polish them obsessively (well, to be honest, I don't do the last one).

But the truth is that welted shoes, quality leathers and especially shell cordovan, are supposed to be beaten to shit and survive. I still can't quite internalise the idea that shell loafers are a thing, being under the impression that the relatively stiff and impermeable horse-crup was design for wading through mud and shit. So yeah, I rather think that getting some wear and tear on shell boots should be a badge of honour, not a source of panic. Well done!

5. EFV

Cheers! Yup, we have a size guide on the web site. This collection is fused, next year we'll have some canvassed garments as well.

6. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

I like this, I still have a wall in desperate need of some decoration, any particular site for these posters/prints or just frantic googling?

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's all a bit too small for me, but it's understandable that you have limited sizes. The fabric looks amazing and the details as well, so I'm sure it'll be a success. Maybe I can buy something next year!

8. EFV

I found those in Paris at Rue de Clignancourt. Unfortunately I have no idea where one could find similar prints online (these are actually vintage and not re-prints, the earliest is from the 1920s). My only regret is that I didn't buy more of them, as they had several boxes filled with beautiful apparel art prints.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

9. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

10. Kira

Kira Senior member

Nice find! [​IMG]

11. europrep

europrep Senior member

I understand your point, but I think if you look at it in the context of the below, it may be more understandable.

I assume Alden is the first name that comes to most of our minds when we think of the cordovan loafer. They are a staple of the New England preppy wardrobe and they are worn exactly the way you describe - beat to hell in all weather conditions. So the cordovan loafer makes sense for their original and most loyal consumer.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Interesting. You're having this stuff made in Amritsar.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Crosspoast from the C&J thread

Good lawd!!! Might need to kop the navy pembroke, the longwing, and the monk...

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm not a huge fan of football leather on dubmonks. I like it on boots and I think it can work on longwings, but otherwise it seems to give the shoe an identity crisis of sorts.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member