Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Selling booze in Dubai is legal, but to purchase you need a license. Getting one is no problem but it takes a few months so I don't have one yet. There's places in other emirates that don't require licenses, but their legal status is a bit murky as is the whole issue of getting your stuff home.

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

need some ideas for these cognac bals- I bought these ages ago thinking they look great on their own, but I don't know what to wear them with so that they don't dominate a fit. LIte grey summer suit with matching belt perhaps and casual tie?

[​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Tan cotton suit/trousers, light grey suit/trousers. Khaki/green may be in the cards. Don't go for high contrast with the trousers. Don't overlook the (bad) effect high-contrast socks will also have - don't wear dark socks with those shoes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Pliny, the best look would probably be off white trousers, a light blue/pink shirt, a tan jacket and a brown tie.

Just gave this print a place in my apartment. Am I the only one who's nuts enough to have menswear inspired art?

[​IMG]

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Thanks Greg- great ideas. I was thinking with something like Adrien Brody's wearing here. the trick is it has to be casual enogh for the cognac, but formal enough for the bal [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MF thanks. I think the pic is asm[​IMG]

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pliny I have shoes in that color and I pair them spring/summer with off white/white or light to lighter mid gray trousers, odd jacket, with beige or light brown socks. So pretty much as Greg and MF are suggesting, keeping contrast low. I guess you'll be inclined towards a more casual, lighter suit since these are oxfords, and not odd jacket?

People will automatically be drawn to the shoes visually even with the low contrast, or so I have found, perhaps because of the less common color. I love the color. NMWA has a single monk AS shoe in this color I have been admiring.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

this is it. Has to be low contrast IMO. Did a search and came up with these. hope Vox doesn't mind- they all look great. I have a suit like the first, but the hem is just a fraction too tapered on mine for the round toe.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's the cotton tan solaro suit from NMWA that could go very nicely with your shoes.

Anyone want to talk about gemming?[​IMG]

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Little late on the uptake:

Boston restaurant: go to spot for casual dining in Boston is Coppa in the South End. Non-traditional rustic Italian, utilizing some offbeat ingredients in unusual combinations, almost always to good effect (Sweetbread and mustard green stuffed raviolis, ricotta and summer savory; Wood-oven roasted pig’s bones and tails with mostarda glaze-- snout to tail thing may be old news, but for Btown still a little edgy I think). Always some great variation of a fish crudo (currently fluke).

Beer: Second on the Sculpin IPA. Favorite style lately is Belgian sours, and current go to is Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge: tart, full bodied Flanders Red, delicious. I'm notorious for leaving a bit of ale in the glass, this stuff is good to the last drop.

Cost no object: Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, Golden Blend or Vintage. Tart, crisp and dry, like a fine champagne. I'd drink this every day if I could afford to.

Like to try: Heady Topper, anything from Russian River (mentioned earlier, yes?)

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

I am reminded how Vox's fits are nearly flawless. Look at the line on those trews. Sheesh.

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Please correct me if I'm wrong. While I agree that the best match for cognac/tan shoes is light grey, I believe cognac/tan shoes has potential that other shoe colors lack. The/my rule of thumb is to always wear shoes that are darker than the trousers and cognac/tan shoes seems to be the exception that proves that rule. If executed correct, I believe they look spectacular with navy, despite the high contrast that the make up provides: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-um_UzJs0VHc/Uo-ub6aDxOI/AAAAAAAAEJE/3CJRRLBqkrM/s1600/022B1442.jpg (picture is member j ingevaldsson's, I hope he doesn't mind). Shoes are Bestetti.

Thoughts?

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I see this look a lot but personally I really don't like it.

15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Care to explain?

I agree that there're always more optimal options than pairing tan and navy. But I also believe it's a fairly good option at hand. You will remember the look as it's high contrasting, and thus you wont be able to wear it as often as say navy suit & brown shoes or light gray suit & tan shoes, but I like it for variation' sake in-between times.