Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Selling booze in Dubai is legal, but to purchase you need a license. Getting one is no problem but it takes a few months so I don't have one yet. There's places in other emirates that don't require licenses, but their legal status is a bit murky as is the whole issue of getting your stuff home.

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

need some ideas for these cognac bals- I bought these ages ago thinking they look great on their own, but I don't know what to wear them with so that they don't dominate a fit. LIte grey summer suit with matching belt perhaps and casual tie?

[​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Tan cotton suit/trousers, light grey suit/trousers. Khaki/green may be in the cards. Don't go for high contrast with the trousers. Don't overlook the (bad) effect high-contrast socks will also have - don't wear dark socks with those shoes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Pliny, the best look would probably be off white trousers, a light blue/pink shirt, a tan jacket and a brown tie.

Just gave this print a place in my apartment. Am I the only one who's nuts enough to have menswear inspired art?

[​IMG]

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nope.

[​IMG]

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Thanks Greg- great ideas. I was thinking with something like Adrien Brody's wearing here. the trick is it has to be casual enogh for the cognac, but formal enough for the bal [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MF thanks. I think the pic is asm[​IMG]

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pliny I have shoes in that color and I pair them spring/summer with off white/white or light to lighter mid gray trousers, odd jacket, with beige or light brown socks. So pretty much as Greg and MF are suggesting, keeping contrast low. I guess you'll be inclined towards a more casual, lighter suit since these are oxfords, and not odd jacket?

People will automatically be drawn to the shoes visually even with the low contrast, or so I have found, perhaps because of the less common color. I love the color. NMWA has a single monk AS shoe in this color I have been admiring.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

this is it. Has to be low contrast IMO. Did a search and came up with these. hope Vox doesn't mind- they all look great. I have a suit like the first, but the hem is just a fraction too tapered on mine for the round toe.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's the cotton tan solaro suit from NMWA that could go very nicely with your shoes.

Anyone want to talk about gemming?[​IMG]

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Little late on the uptake:

Boston restaurant: go to spot for casual dining in Boston is Coppa in the South End. Non-traditional rustic Italian, utilizing some offbeat ingredients in unusual combinations, almost always to good effect (Sweetbread and mustard green stuffed raviolis, ricotta and summer savory; Wood-oven roasted pig’s bones and tails with mostarda glaze-- snout to tail thing may be old news, but for Btown still a little edgy I think). Always some great variation of a fish crudo (currently fluke).

Beer: Second on the Sculpin IPA. Favorite style lately is Belgian sours, and current go to is Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge: tart, full bodied Flanders Red, delicious. I'm notorious for leaving a bit of ale in the glass, this stuff is good to the last drop.

Cost no object: Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, Golden Blend or Vintage. Tart, crisp and dry, like a fine champagne. I'd drink this every day if I could afford to.

Like to try: Heady Topper, anything from Russian River (mentioned earlier, yes?)

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

I am reminded how Vox's fits are nearly flawless. Look at the line on those trews. Sheesh.

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Please correct me if I'm wrong. While I agree that the best match for cognac/tan shoes is light grey, I believe cognac/tan shoes has potential that other shoe colors lack. The/my rule of thumb is to always wear shoes that are darker than the trousers and cognac/tan shoes seems to be the exception that proves that rule. If executed correct, I believe they look spectacular with navy, despite the high contrast that the make up provides: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-um_UzJs0VHc/Uo-ub6aDxOI/AAAAAAAAEJE/3CJRRLBqkrM/s1600/022B1442.jpg (picture is member j ingevaldsson's, I hope he doesn't mind). Shoes are Bestetti.

Thoughts?

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I see this look a lot but personally I really don't like it.

15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Care to explain?

I agree that there're always more optimal options than pairing tan and navy. But I also believe it's a fairly good option at hand. You will remember the look as it's high contrasting, and thus you wont be able to wear it as often as say navy suit & brown shoes or light gray suit & tan shoes, but I like it for variation' sake in-between times.