1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

3 hrs?! Get thee to a speed jack, Doodles. I can do mine in under an hr, including torque setting, and that's w/o an air wrench. Half that time is spent lugging (doh) the wheels up and down from the basement ( switching to snows). Those suckahs are heavy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'll stand by the suggestion ...

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I bought a beater jacket as a bar jacket a while ago and while it has a few moth holes, it's pretty nice.

Wore it as part of my halloween costume last night and it got douzed in beer at a house party. The area by one of the vents is rock hard. Would a dry cleaning salvage it? Should I try wetting the affected spot?

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

This.

You are crazy. The PoW is a million times better than the sharkskin.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Mine is off the market. Just get a damn suit, Noodles!

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I still believe in buying staples before indulging in cool but more eccentric stuff. Noodles lacks both a staple grey solid and a navy solid.

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Congrats!

And yes, Noodles, get the birdseye and the PoW, like me!!!

8. archibaldleach

I support buying both.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Just to mess with Noodles and more importantly because it's awesome....grey flannel patch pocket on the BnT master tailor...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. archibaldleach

Every man should own a grey flannel suit...even if it doesn't turn him into Gregory Peck.

2 people like this.
  11. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Suit Supply

12. archibaldleach

Stitchy covered this. Your best suits should not be non-staples. He's right.

3 people like this.
  13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I hope you were joking. Skin peels (and other exfoliative treatments) do not make dark skin lighter. In fact, the darker the skin, the more a peel is likely to trigger a post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation reaction.

Just learn to love your dark complexion. Believe me when I tell you that being a "pink" is not a lot of fun. Skin cancer, rosacea, age spots, seborrhoeic keratoses...

I clicked through to that link. Couldn't believe how many horrible suits there were on that site. All the jackets way, way too short. Thom Browne has much to answer for.

Agreed. My pet peeve is the common and tiresome conflation of schizophrenia with multiple personality disorder. (The latter "disorder" arguably doesn't even exist.)

Agreed, tie looks fantastic with that suit. But its pattern would clash egregiously with the narrow pinstripes of the suit you were recommending pairing it with.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

My suit is a pinstripe. It's a litltle fainter in that photo than the one that was the subject of the original request. I bumped the contrast as much as I could without making everything else crazy. It's clearer in the large photo. Admittedly hard to know for sure. (It is a great tie though!)

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I never said it wasn't a great tie.

It's a great tie.

16. kulata

kulata Senior member

@The Noodles buy according to your means and financial priorities but make sure whatever you buy looks good on you (that's the most important point and you've been educated enough to know what works for your body type) when you need special pieces add the formosa. No regular suit wearing person on this thread wears Formosas daily and I mean nobody. :)

@Coxsackie, there is a lot of trash on yoox no doubt but you can pickup nice brands at steep discounts and if it doesn't work just return with no hassle. The extremely tall models often distort looks, I often figure short jackets out by looking at the distance between the edge of the sleeves and the edge of the jacket. There are lots of threads dedicated to yoox.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Curious about this comment, and just curious about Formosa in general. Sartoria Formosa is a Neapolitan tailoring house which makes suits under contract for NMWA. I imagine that the NMWA suits are designed according to specs laid down for them by Greg, perhaps in collaboration with their own designers. The result is certainly a handsome suit with a number of SF-friendly features such as nice fabrics, 3-roll-2 lapels, wide-ish lapels with a beautiful roll, spalla camicia shoulders and so forth. All of this makes for a fairly up-market suit, but Greg has somehow controlled the price so that the final product is great value. All of this I glean from my readings on this board.

Now let's talk for a sec about price. OK, these little beauties go for around the $2.2K mark. Which is more than most punters are prepared to pay for a suit, but not a lot of dough if the suit is really good - which these suckers apparently are.

So, you stump up a bit of extra coin for a really good suit. Well constructed from fine, hopefully fairly durable fabric. You're going to get a couple of hundred wears out of this piece, easy. So why wouldn't you wear it every day? Only reason I can think of, is that you don't want to turn up to work wearing the same clothes every day. But plenty of blokes have a rotation of only two or three suits. So, it's actually entirely realistic to build a three-suit rotation of Formosas - assuming they suit your body shape and you like the styling - and stay within a reasonably realistic suiting budget. OK, you won't buy them all at once. But it can be done.

In other words...

It's entirely possible for someone to wear Formosas daily.

Am I missing something here?

18. kulata

kulata Senior member

Noodles knows his situation best so he can speak to that. He was going to buy from Murl and tire issues changed his decision so just putting 2k for clothing on a fairly regular basis may not be where is at or where he wsnts to be and who knows if he is saving to buy his wife a business or buy himself an investment property etc. I would love him to wear Formosas but he said it will be his last.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I shoulda bort the damn thing.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is all correct but I'd like to clarify one thing. Formosa developed its RTW (standard sized bespoke, really - Dirnelli calls it "bespoke RTW" but there isn't a good word to describe a RTW suit that is entirely made by hand like a bespoke suit, in a small sartoria and not a factory, because there is no other like that) on its own and is based on its house cut. I loved the cut and decided to go ahead with this idea when I tried on a sample jacket that was made without ever seeing me and that I liked on me better than most of my bespoke stuff...

I didn't give any input as to the cut, size of the lapels, roll, buttoning point, etc... I would have never come up with such a great result.

What I do when we spec the suits with Gennaro and Dionisio is pick (a) fabric (always from bespoke cloth bunches of the best mills, we never use fabric used in the RTW trade, only what you'd find in a bespoke tailor shop), (b) pocket style, (c) shoulder expression and (d) lining. Everything else is their "design"

2 people like this.