Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm not sure wearing a pocket square to an interview is a good idea, unless it's for a creative position/in fashion. It's always better to err on the side of caution for more formal positions.

You don't want to miss out on an opportunity because you wanted to wear a pocket square or burgundy shoes. Keep it simple: Solid navy/charcoal suit, white/light blue shirt, neat tie and black (UK) or dark brown (US) cap toe oxfords. You'll have plenty of time to personalise your outfits once you have been admitted/have the job.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

holy shit this kid looks so much like you hahahahaha. Congrats man!!!

3. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I didnt mean out of the womb!!! Lol
    I meant the conception! Haha

5. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

I wonder: do people feel that 3-piece suits count as ostentatious for interviews? I know they're often seen as anachronistic, and can seem especially so on younger men. Best to leave the vest at home?

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yes.

I think the same applies to db suits.

7. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Yes. I'd think any 22-25yo wearing a db jacket or 3-piece suit to a medschool interview is horribly out of touch, and given the number of overqualified candidates for medschool (or most jobs) I would have no interest in seeing how that person functions with everyday people in awful situations.

8. ridethecliche

I really want to wear a white PS though :/

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm going to go against all y'all's and say the square (given the absence of a tie) could be ok for a med school interview. An outfit doesn't exist in isolation, so a great deal rides on how consistent the square is with a personality interviewers may find appealing. If it works with how the interviewee carries himself, I can even see it as being advantageous.

But if it doesn't, it'll backfire.

So, it's risky.

10. ridethecliche

Oh no. Tie is a must.

That was a headshot they ask to go with apps.

11. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

I meant in general. Medical school interviews are sort of a weirdly artificial case unto themselves. And besides, the idea that one's dress (which, at a med school interview says almost nothing about one's ability to dress professionally in general) and empathy skills are at all connected strikes me as suspect. I'm more curious about finance and law, where formal suits are often a critical part of daily dress anyway.

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I work in finance and conduct a lot of interviews. I've never seen anyone in a 3 piece or a double breasted and I am thankful for that.

I think I'd wonder what went through their head when they decided this was a good choice for a job interview. And then I'd wonder what other bad decisions they make which are easily avoidable.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Given the shitty shoes most men wear, I'm very skeptical of the notion that black wingtips would stand out in an interview. A pocket square might not be the best idea for everyone, but if you have a big personality, they'll remember you, not the silk stuffed in your pocket.

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I'm in law and have conducted interviews for both young attorney positions and legal secretaries/paralegals. I guess my take is that most younger applicants dress so badly or unremarkably that it's all a wash. I suppose it is a great equalizer as far as that goes.

I figure most folks - especially the kids right out of school (and saddled with student loan debt) - are broke and doing the best they can. If they're wearing a suit and have shined suits, they're fine. I don't try to make too many inferences from what someone wears to a job interview. If they showed up looking too sharp, I might worry they'd spend too much time hitting refresh on their smart phone instead of working. [​IMG]

15. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

I think all the responses summarize the perils of "dressing up" for interviews. If too nice, some might think you put too much time into your looks. If not put together enough, some people will think you didn't try hard and judge you the other way. You never know where your interviewer lands on that subjective spectrum. So my advice is to dress as boringly acceptable as you can. If you want to pay attention to small details to make the fit if your clothes as good as possible, that's great. Otherwise, my rule if thumb is that dressing for an interview is not to stand out for what your wearing, either good or bad. Let your application/resume/actual interview do the standing out.

My conservative 2 cents anyhow.