1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Distinguished Member

After drug and mental health problems I finished my undergraduate degrees in 2008. From 2008 to 2010 I worked as a software developer until I left to go to grad school. I finish my doctorate in May. I will be 30. The average life expectancy in the US these days for men is 75 and the retirement age is 67. Provided that I stick with it, this gives me 37 years in a career I have been single-minded in pursuit of - even while I was screwing up other things - since I was ~7. Overall, not a bad deal.

2. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

Far be it for me to disagree with you, as I'm childless, but as someone who grew up in a house with 5 kids (I have a sister and 3 brothers) - you can only begin to imagine the chaos!

3. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

Gents, thanks for the lurve here, heart warming indeed! Left Bath and now in Devon. Plans for surfing in the morning, can't wait.

@noodles @Claghorn This is more than just a thread!

@SeaJen What a great pic of the family, the pride and happiness shines through!

I suppose as an epilogue the moral to my story is don't take anything for granted. We both thought we could have a family at the drop of a hat, but no way Pedro on that!

Our English Flower Garden then, isn't our gardens or the glorious countryside of England but our daughters, Poppy and Daisy, our very own blooming English Flower Garden :D

Have a good weekend gents!

4. europrep

europrep Distinguished Member

Agreed, I don't actually know what a 5 kid family is like. I was more getting at the jump from 1 to 2 kids feels like the workload/stress/happiness more than doubled.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Two kids, especially within a couple of years of each other, is certainly more than twice as hard. With one, each parent can take an actual break, go to the movies, get a drink, whatever. With two in diapers, it was divide and conquer, and almost no time for our relationship. It was a very difficult time, but now that the kids are relatively self-sufficient, it's great.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I'm sorry bro. To be clear, I love my babies with all my heart. They're both so sweet, smart, funny, and adorable. And healthy too, knock on wood. There's not a moment that goes by that I'm not glad we had them.

But they ARE a handful though. I mean, God DAM! Lol

7. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

I believe you, my sister said the same when she had her 2nd.

8. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior Member

Dad of 3 here.

We had our first two 18 months apart. It was a very difficult time, essentially like having two babies considering our eldest still wasn't sleeping. It was not unusual for all 4 of us to be up at 3 am. That being said, they are 6.5 and 5 now and fantastic friends. By 3 they were already occupying each other which made our lives MUCH easier.

The 3rd was a game changed but he's a super agreeable kid so it's been better. Our eldest is a boy too, and responsible as he is, it's just not the same as having an eldest girl. Those oldest girls become so helpful with the younger siblings as they get older.

I always tell my wife that if we had a fourth kid (and we're probably not going to for some unfortunate reasons) i'd want it to be an 11 year old girl....

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I'll agree with what a few have said, that it gets significantly easier when the kids are 3 and out of diapers. They can play with siblings and do not need to be constantly entertained, are better about eating meals and can wake up and entertain themselves for a little bit so that Mom and Dad do not have to wake up at 5:30 a.m. every Saturday.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I have the option to buy AE seconds for a tan chukka at a great price (about 69 bucks). Small stain on the inside of one of the boots is the only issue. I'm not sure I care and I'd probably beat on them anyway.

Is tan a decent color for chukkas? I always have a hard time thinking of how they'd pair (outside of jeans). I guess they'd go great with chinos for more casual stuffs.

Is Snuff a much better color?

Tan is in the middle here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Tan/sand suede chukkas are great. I would buy them for that price. I've got a similar pair of unlined Alden.

12. europrep

europrep Distinguished Member

Leave them out in the sun and they will darken up a bit.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Are we still talking about kids?

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Of course, didn't you see the picture of my son? I left him out too long.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

A single person's iron law of kids conversation: Once the parents get started on it, it's impossible to end it.