1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

I have an 8 year old - he was born a couple months after I turned 27.

I love him to death and at the same time I am so happy that I'll only be around 50 when he is able to go off on his own. I didn't want to have kids late in life because I really want to be able to re-enjoy independence for a long time once it comes.

I can see myself moving out of the US for sure once he's older - won't get into that, though!

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

This is certainly a thread that is good in nature with good folks. [​IMG]

3. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Yeah, the idea of there being an 'otherside' after rearing kids is wonderful. That there are still good years to spend. Honestly, I'm hoping to travel to a lot of places over the next couple of years: SE Asia, Africa again (Ethiopia hopefully, maybe Rwanda and Tanzania as well), etc.

I'll save Europe for later in life as it's really not as 'rough' on a traveler and easier with more money.

Lifestyle picture:

[​IMG]

5. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

No kids and no plans for kids either. Although we act like kids so that's close enough for me. We're the weird ones in my family for deciding that.

[​IMG]

6. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior Member

I'm 36 now, looking forward to having a few kids: 2, perhaps 3. I haven't yet found the right girl/woman, so it will be a few years in the future at the very least. Most of my friends, all of them mid 30s, have 1-2 young'uns, or are trying. It definately changes the group's dynamics; 4 years ago birthdays were celebrated in a club or bar late into the night. Now we find ourselves celebrating on sunday afternoon with a picknick and a scattering of toddlers. Fun but different.

7. Kira

Kira Senior Member

Wow, most of the users in this thread are borderline Gen X or Gen Y. Interesting.

I once had friend who was having relationship problems with his girlfriend. Her exact words were: "I want to be young and stupid. For once, may I live my life and not care about anything?" [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I've been where you are! Mine are 4.5 and 2. It definitely hasn't gotten that much easier, although I think I've adapted to it much better now. Oh yeah, and my 2 year old had just awful colic as an infant and that's over, which is a big plus (I think I've just blocked out the memory of it.)

Though it definitely takes a lot of vigor, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to tackle it ten years later (35 now).

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

I spend too much $ on stuff that I want need for kids. Kidding. Maybe.

And at 27 I'm considering a major career shift that would put me back in professional school and training until my mid 30s.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I am totally envious that you can switch careers. I wanted to go into teaching but I got too much obligation. That's why I told my wife to do whatever she wants and not worry about the money.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'm thinking about it too. The government is beginning to drain my ambition and I might need to get out before I become one of the unmotivated and worthless stereotypical gov employees.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

you certainly don't dress like one.

I don't know which part of gov't you are in but here's something that I want to share.
    My friend just went thru the exit process with (if I told you I would have to kill you) agency.
    They gave him such a hard time about wanting to leave.
    So they asked for about $10k back from pay.
    He can only submit resume that they approve. The approval process takes about a month.
    He cannot say what he did nor can he say where he worked.
    He cannot apply for jobs until he gets his approved/censured resume.
    He is living off of his pension.

Wife wants to get the heck out of the house 'cus it ain't the lifestyle she wants to live at 25. I told her go to school and major in whatever you want and do whatever makes you happy. Don't be a slave to money like me. That's what I told her.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

13. europrep

europrep Distinguished Member

funny, i prefer to tell my wife to keep working, stay on her career arc, so i don't have to worry about money and can keep buying clothes.

you didn't inspire me on that one. hopefully when they both get past 3, it becomes easier.

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I can't talk about a lot of what I do, but my agency and where I work can be discussed. I've been with the AF for 14 years so it would be hard to leave, but I'm thinking if I don't do it now, I never will. It has it's perks, but I have dreaded work the last few years and that's no way to live.

15. rms340

rms340 Senior Member

I graduated and started my profession at 21. At 24 I pulled the major career shift card. I'll be 27 next month and won't be finished with my training well into my 30s. Sometimes I wonder if I made the correct decision, but then again, I think I would be miserable at the old job.