1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sugarbutch - the Eidos looked just perfect on you. I got a little jealous there...

Good luck with the run

2 people like this.
  2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

This is how I usually wear mine.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I guess I have that light blue silk wool mix jacket, but outside of that I don't have any textured greys or blues. I have a black and white herringbone that resolves to grey from a few feet away, but I don't think that would work at all.

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

I like it with grey and wear it a lot. Not sure I like darker brown with navy though, I prefer lighter shades of brown with navy but maybe I just haven't come across a good example.

Can we talk about charcoal jackets (Charcoal is the new rage)? I really want to buy one and in my mind it works best with brown, tan and olive pants but passable with light grey. Any more suggestions or do you want to talk me out it? Patterned grey pants?

Examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Neither of those will work. The blue is too teal, you need a navy SC for those pants.

Not feeling than SC. But yoox has turrble pics so idk. But I can say that I personally have minimal interest in owning a charcoal SC. Heck, I think I just dont love charcoal. Even a charcoal suit is low on my list, Id much prefer gray. Ymmv obvi.

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

If you go charcoal up top, mid-toned tan (slightly darker than khaki) or olive are really the only decent options imho. Grey herringbone or donegal tweed pants, for a reverse of the classic monochromatic look, might work too. I do think charcoal with a pattern (like NMWA's Eidos SC or any of the many charcoal with blue or orange windowpanes that you can find) looks pretty good with tan pants, but it's a pretty limiting look.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

A charcoal odd jacket IMO is about one of the most useless things a man can possibly buy. Just say no. If you want something in grey, go with a classic Donegal, some sort of herringbone that resolves to grey or a black / white Harris tweed. All of these would be much better.

3 people like this.
  8. ridethecliche

Blazer? I also have a navy sc with peak lapels. No real texture to either of those though. I actually have a navy jacket with a check. Perhaps I'll try that.

This guy here:

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Archi - Agreed.

RTC - SC/blazer, potato/potahto, just make sure its navy. That check miiiiight work, worth a shot. Make a fit of it, post up, and see what people have to say.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

Is your dislike for charcoal odd jackets strictly based on personal preference or the aesthetics?

Your combo ideas is what I have in mind but I don't want patterned charcoal jacket though, I had a check patterned jacket in the past and eventually sold it. I want something plain and I don't mind it being a limiting look. I have tons of jackets so versatility is a non issue to me.

What if you already have a "classic" grey donegal and herringbone jacket? :D

11. archibaldleach

^ If you already have a classic grey Donegal, any of the other two things I suggested work. Other than that, there are all sorts of odd jackets in blue, brown, rust, green, etc. that are much more useful.

12. kulata

kulata Senior member

Basics including herringbone are covered. Green donegal in the works but charcoal is missing.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, Greg! I think if the rise had been more generous, you'd have my money right now. (And I'd have some 'splaining to do...)

14. archibaldleach

^ IMO charcoal is missing from an odd jacket wardrobe in the same sense that something in hot pink is missing. Yeah, you may not have it and it is "missing" in that sense, but it's not really needed. If charcoal is really the only thing you don't have, than perhaps your odd jacket wardrobe is complete. I'd look into casual suits prior to a charcoal odd jacket too.

That said, if you must you must and nobody will be able to talk you out of it. I just have no idea what it could be worn with where it would actually improve a look over something else.

1 person likes this.
  15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That wouldn't work. And that's why you need to buy a navy sportcoat first, and light to medium grey wool trousers second. Stop buying anything until you have those two items.

16. ridethecliche

I have a navy blazer and a navy jacket with peak lapels. Both are navy. Both aren't part of suits. I'm not sure what you want lol.

I have grey pants but they're chinos. I have grey birdseye tweed pants, but they're a bit dark. Getting a pair of grey wool pants next.

17. kulata

kulata Senior member

Charcoal will be very useful at night/evening. Hot pink probably useful in outer space but seriously, what's wrong combining charcoal with "Best with brown, tan and olive pants but passable with light grey."?

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

If that suit really looks as good as Greg says and from what I can make out in the picture, you're crazy! You will get used to the rise.

19. archibaldleach

I think you overestimate the usefulness. A navy blazer seems to do pretty much everything better. Buying yet another navy blazer seems more useful.

20. ridethecliche

I've often thought of changing the buttons of my navy blazer to a color that isn't gold and ripping the besom flaps off the patch pockets...