1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

^ Cannot imagine what you and especially your lady must have gone through.
    Enjoy your little ones and the lady in very good health, for all of you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

2. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, both Erica & I get that a lot, people never think we're passed 30 (especially not her).

We'll see, nothing's ruled out atm. :D

3. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

You and I almost the same.

I envy friends that started early though.

4. Celadon

Celadon Senior Member

Indeed. It was a general comment on the notion that pretend-belief in Santa is some dangerous form of child deception. As I remember it from my childhood and as I have understood it from the attitude of other children I have known later, most get it at an early age but continue to play along. Children probably sense that it is not something that the parents, other adults or older children take seriously and take their cue from that. Or maybe the parents I have known have just been bad liars.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Definitely not an insult, what I meant is that I think you are my age, more or less - I'm 27 - so you must have your kids very young.

Sorry if it was misinterpreted. :(

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@Claghorn
    I keep forgetting how young you still are. I will be effing 37 in 2019! Arggg.

We are not expecting but she keeps telling me that we must hurry cus I am already 32 while she's 25. I is old. And both her parents and my parents are very eager to see their first grandchild.

@EFV
    Never wud have imagined you were your age dude. I wud have put u around early 30s.

7. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior Member

2 childrens for me. 3.5 and 1. Had my gorgeous boy when I was 38 and my beautiful little girl when I was 40. Turned 41 today and have just returned from a fantastic dinner with my wife. She's now passed out next to me after 3 cocktails. Life is good.

8. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

Well, Happy Birthday to you, Span!

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Happy Birthday Span!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Erik, none of my business either. Still just a thought since you're both in your 30s. I didn't want kids either and I think I would have been very happy as a non-parent. The way I think about it is that that non-parent space-time chain is largely what I have now, but essentially enhanced in a completely unexpected way I wouldn't have been able to fathom as a non-parent. Yes, there are challenges, and kids are expensive and when they hit their teens, yikes! But the benefits were just so unexpected and incommensurable. It's hard to see this without kids, but little versions of you and your partner (I thought she was your wife), well the joy of that is something that can't be fully fathomed without actually having them. And I know they would be impeccably dressed!

That said, a family member doesn't have kids, is happily married, spends obscene amounts of money on his custom bikes, and bikes daily across the Golden Gate into Marin for his 150 mile bike rides, eats out a lot, travels a lot, etc. Tis another life. I wouldn't trade mine for his though.

@Cleav what a story, mate. I'm so glad for you and your wife that you have two lovely kids after the ordeal you went through.

PS, I think I've sat on that exact stone in Bath too for a pic!

11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Um...she's like 26 or something....

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

No need for apologies. I'm in my early 30's...so thanks for the compliment!

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Distinguished Member

Forgive my hyperbole, Pliny. I made it sound more exhausting than it is. I just notice how much less energy and flexibility I have now than I did 10 years ago is all. As for the wisdom, I hope so. I certainly have much more patience now than I did in my 20s.

Again, none of my business, but just imagine how good looking your progeny would be, let alone how stylish.

+1000
    I wish I were younger for my kids, but I also really enjoyed most of the 38 years that preceded them and it gave me the opportunity to be in a financial and professional situation where I can provide everything they need and allow my wife to stay at home with them. If I had had kids in my 20s I dont know how I would be in the position to pay for college by now.

@Cleav Miscarriage really does suck, and I can't imagine the pain of so many, but it makes the gifts of your children that much richer. Beautiful family, mate.

[​IMG]

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I'll be 26 in March. I'll start grad school at twenty five and a half if I get in haha.

I'm not even dating anyone at this point. Needed a break from it over the last year and now life is too uncertain but we'll see what the future brings.