Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

@The Noodles - are you expecting?

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I suspect discussions have commenced on when to start a family. The only advice I have is to enjoy your time together now and not rush into anything until you're sure you are ready, but do not wait so long that you need to take the van from the retirement home to your kids' college graduation ceremony.

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

or....tell your wife that you can't have kids...because you require that all of your clothing henceforth be made fully bespoke...

a quick cost-benefit analysis should persuade her that the bespoke wardrobe option is the winner.

jk

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

4. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

My significant other and I have decided not to have kids. The reasons have nothing to do with a desire for bespoke clothing (her feelings about pregnancy are, uh, vehemently negative), but it's certainly a perk. You get to have a 529 for your wardrobe! [​IMG]

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

We'll start trying to have kids in 2019 or so. I'll be like 33, so a bit old to be a first time father. But my dad was 37 when I was born and 39 for my sister.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

33 is old for a first time dad?

I'm fucked. If things go my way, I won't be out of training till I'm like 35...

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I was 33 when my daughter was born. I guess it depends on how many kids you want though as to when you start and how you space them out. I'll be happy to stop at 2 and we've had them very close together (I'll let you know in a few months if that's a stupid idea or not!)

8. europrep

europrep Senior member

I feel like I am in the middle of a war zone right now with temporary breaks of smiles and laughter. Mine our 2 years and 6 months old (21 months apart). My wife and I decided for the "rip the bandaid off" approach. Diapers and no sleep for a couple years and then hope for no "mistakes" down the road.

IMO, #2 is the game changer for dad. It feels like I have 5 kids right now. In the end, their smiles and hugs make it all worth it.

Oh, and I definitely drink more now that I have kids.

9. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

Ditto. Another reason I'm not going to bother.

(Not to dissuade you, though, if that's your thing. My partner's mother is a physician. She had her first kid well after she finished her residency, at 35. If anything, she just had more fun before having kids.)

10. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I was 22 when my first decided to show up. Life is what happens when you're making plans.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I was 34 when we had our oldest and a month shy of 40 when we had our third, so I'll be roughly 62 when the youngest graduates college.

On the spacing apart issue, our two oldest are only 19 months apart, which resulted in complete chaos at times, but now is pretty cool because they are really close, share a lot of the same interests and share the same friends in the neighborhood. They are only one grade apart, so I could see them sharing the same friends even in high school.

All I'm going to say on the subject of diapers is that, except for a 2-3 month period of time, we've had someone in diapers continuously for eight years now. It wasn't so bad for a few years, but now that our youngest is getting ready to ditch the diapers, I am going to pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate the last diaper.

12. Kira

Kira Senior member

My friend's dad was 78 when he graduated from high school. He should be 80 now. Overall, the older members of his family procreated very late. His brother is in his 40s.

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'll only be 43 when both of mine are adults (legally). I like the thought of that...

14. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

A little in the face this is, isn't it?

I read Celadon's post in the context of the overall talk, least as a direct reply to yours. Try again, you'll see. ;)

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I'll give you a wild one...

A friend of mine from college...when he graduated at the age of 22...his father was 84. His father had six wives and eight kids...and the oldest of his children was in his late 50's at the time of our graduation.