1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I bought boots for my spouse without telling them. They were annoyed. :(

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Overheard during an SF member's proposal:

"I'd get on a knee, but there pants are designer."

Made up but probably true.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I bought awesome black watch, single pleated shorts for my girlfriend, and she loves them. Except she won't wear them when I'm not around, as guys start staring too much apparently. One even started clapping, which crosses the line IMHO.

Now I have to make sure that the clothes I get her are sexy, but not too sexy.

4. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

One of my other hobby's is bicycle racing. Regarding bikes we talk about the right number of bikes to have is = to n - 1. n being the number of bikes that causes her to leave you. I guess this applies to suits as well :)

I’ve been married 9 years and we have always shared finances. When we first got married we had two nice salaries and no kids. At that time we discussed only major purchases which for us at that time was anything over $250. The last 4 years have been pretty lean as I left my career to support my wife's career and we had two kids. By necessity we've gotten a little bit better at managing our funds. Now we try to plan most of our purchases. I’m looking forward to this new career as I get to wear suits and have a salary again!

All this ties (pun intended) into my 5 tie budget for this year. Several reasons.... 1) I have many ties that were given to me as Christmas gifts and a handful of ties from tie bar that I picked up a few years ago. 2) I’ve got to educate my wife on why a $50+ tie is better than a $10 tie at Marshalls.

I’m hoping once she sees the quality ties on me she’ll be more willing to let me get more ties this year.

Thanks for the tip to look on eBay and sales. I’ll work to find something equal to my first 5 from Hober. I really don’t want to just buy something on eBay because it was a good price and not a staple I need as I build out my collection.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Regardless, start with two ties from Hober. A grenadine should definitely be among them if you want to impress upon your wife the qualities of a fine tie. A second might be:

https://www.samhober.com/new-linen-tie/midnight-blue-belgian-linen-tie.html

or

https://www.samhober.com/oxford-weave-silk-ties-en/oxford-silk-tie-clone-clone-en-2.html

I asked my wife to go through my Hobers and tell me what would impress her most knowing little of ties (excluding grenadine, which is the obvious choice). She chose a linen and an oxford.

6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm lucky to have an SO who has made more money than me for almost our entire relationship. She doesn't really care about what I do with the money I make, as long as our joint posts are covered, i.e. mortgage, bills et c. OTOH, I don't really spend that much money on anything but business reinvestment atm. When I occasionally splurge (2k or more), like every 6 months or so, she's usually happy if I'm happy with my purchases.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

...wait, i thut @EFV was a billionaire american trvaeling around the world[​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I wish my wife made more money than me. Lucky you!

1 person likes this.
  9. The Noodles

doesn't that mean you would have to watch the kids at home???

10. EFV

Who said I wasn't? A very frugal billionaire.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

Thanks Clags and thanks to your wife. These will be my "gateway ties" like a gateway drug :)

12. EFV

Wasn't really aware of her financial status when we met, but it does have its advantages to have a fiancée with a really good income. That she's also fun, smart and beautiful, and still chose me, is really beyond me (and I'm not selling myself short here).

3 people like this.
  13. in stitches

No. I want her to make a lot of money, and watch the kids, and take care of the house. :)

Way to outkick your coverage, dude. Join the club!

2 people like this.
  14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Men who are emasculated by successful wives have always confused me.

2 people like this.
  15. EFV

Me too, I mean, it's pretty damn awesome.

5 people like this.
  16. The Noodles

My father in-law is a man who has many investments. He told his two daughters that when he passes away, he will give every single penny to charitable organizations. When we got married, we swore we would never ever rely on anyone outside the two of us for money. She also wants no debt, which means I need to pay off my mortgage within a year. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Start a 401c3.

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

Do not pay off your biggest tax shelter please.

Also, debt is awesome. Seriously. There is good debt and bad debt, and good debt is awesome. Unless you are freaking loaded off your pants Richie Rich, debt is super useful for cash flow.

Arent you an accountant?

Lastly, your father in law should leave some money to you so you can buy cool stuff. Yeesh.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  19. The Noodles

Yup. It's just a different world in the Far East. They look at debt differently.
    Anyhow, there's no way I am going to pay off a mortgage, especially when I pay only 3.25%!!! B!tches!
    Naw, I don't want his money. But now that I think of it, his mother left him a fortune and now he's rich...wtf?!

1 person likes this.
  20. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

lol hypocrisy of a generation who got gifted the world, takes everything, ruins the economy, and then pretend it's fair to the next generation to give them nothing, or that just because they managed to find jobs and stability without so much as a degree or going in debt, the same should be expected of their children.

5 people like this.