1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior Member

Y'all should watch Adventure Time if you want something good for kids and adults.

Question: I was thinking about picking up this Eidos Raw Silk Chalk Stripe suit today at Bloomies. I really like the color and the fit of the suit, but was wondering what are people's thoughts on having it in raw silk (as opposed to flannel, which is carried by CSC this season)?

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

One that I liked that doesn't get much hype is Robots with Robin Williams

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

If those were the 17" in the very sturdy ornamented cardboxes with plastic show cases inside, you might want to bite yourself some place. It says "Limited 2500" at the front bottom of the outer cardbox, check it out.

(No one asks how I know all this! Dare you! J/k. Wife is a collector. And the value is higher than the spent, so I can't complain. Plus, she learnt hand-drawn animation in Madrid, a while back, after high school. So she has some interest in all this besides the pure entertainment.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Raw silk is awesome, and it'll probably wear just as warm as flannel. The downside is that it might be a bit more casual, so not really office appropriate, depending on where you work.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yes, the snowman line is awesome, and the ice castle is the ish, but there are much better animated movies imo.

The Incredibles is an all time great. Brave is superb.

As to Jungle Book and Dumbo, 100% my love goes to the older Disney movies, even though obviously they are very different visually, or maybe not as good visually. I think Peter Pan is my all time fave. But that is probably just because I relate to the fantasy of never growing up and having to work, in a very serious way.

6. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

^ + a few K on The Incredibles. Love the Bond vibe of the ST.

As for Peter Pan, love the real life version from 2003. Great cast (Jason Isaacs), cinematography and story conversion from book to film.

7. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior Member

I don't really work in a CBD environment, so that works for me. I noticed that Antonio was wearing his in December in one of his photos, so it looks like it can definitely be worn year round if necessary.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

It looks nice, but agree with MF on the more casual nature of the fabric. Am I wrong to think, however, "banker" or "finance" when I see stripes on suits? So there is a versatility issue for me.

MF has this suit, I think, and has some nice pics of it.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Deep sigh of relief or regret. Not the ones we have. There is some serious price gouging going on with all things Frozen. My wife was telling me that official Frozen Elsa costumes were going for $1,000 or more recently.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

No, I have the fresco one. Wide stripes like that silk suit remind me of the 1920s/30s gangsters and of dandies. It looks cool, but it is more of a casual suit than a business suit. I'd say a normal pinstriped suit can be worn to nearly any professional function, but can look out of place at social occasions. Most people in finance don't wear pinstripes anymore, seeing as 80% of the offices are business casual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I don't want to lie to my future kids about Santa Claus and Christmas. I will; I don't want them to spoil it for other kids. But I really dislike the idea. There are enough wondrous things in life that actually do happen.

This has bugged me for years.

12. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I think the raw silk looks awesome. If you don't have a CBD dress code to adhere to, and you really like the suit, I think you should get it.

+ As far as animated movies go, Miyazaki is an all time favorite for me.

13. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

Last post about animation. Geris Game is one of my favorite shorts. In general I love all of Pixars Shorts but this one was one of the first.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

I think there are national differences in association, and within individual nations regional differences as well. Think, e.g., of the almost clichéd association in the American northeast of the pinstripe suit with IBM employees, back in the day. I suspect the association with banking was strongest in London, and perhaps still is.

In the American northeast my impression these days is that in most business or academic contexts in which a suit is appropriate a pinstripe would be fine.

Cheers,

Ac

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/waywewore/waywewore_1.html

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

It hasn't bothered me in the past, but my older two girls are getting to the age where I'm finding it even more important to teach them the value of credibility and truthfulness. I'm not sure how I will respond when the oldest has that first seed of doubt and asks me to reaffirm Santa's existence. Part of me wants to level with her at that moment, but I also realize that she will absolutely tell her younger sisters and that's not fair to them.