Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Dozens of times would be fine. Frozen was released on DVD in March, which means we passed dozens of times four months' ago.

Frozen is a good movie and it's pretty cute watching my girls sing the more popular songs karaokee style on their microphone and amp, but the devotion of kids everywhere to this movie and its soundtrack is unreal. Mark my words now, but every girl between the ages of 4 and 10 will be Elsa or Anna for Halloween.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Way different. The US Gov't is much weaker compared to state governments than SK's in terms of national vs regional. And if we were to merely look at government vs industry/corporation power dynamics, I'd say the US has more power than SK relative to their respective industries. Added to this, industry/corporation in South Korea is really dominated by 4-5 countries, whereas the power is spread more widely in the US.

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

People say my wife looks like Elsa...I chuckled at that.

I like all the Pixar movies, and I have to watch Beauty and the Beast from time to time.

The corporate influence on the SK govt is undeniably strong. There is way too much corruption going on. Tax evasion, cover up crimes in return for money, co trol the media, etc. Everytime I watch the news, I really want run for SK president.

If the kid up North can do it, why can't I? Oh, I have no money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Role play? ;)

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

The popularity of Frozen with the 18-30 crowd is unreal too

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

To bring the two themes together, for kid films, you'd be hard pressed to do better than most anything by Hayao Miyazaki though I have not seen the most recent (and last [​IMG]) one. I especially like My Neighbor Totoro, which is obliquely about post-war Japan, and of course Spirited Away (if you have daughters, Kiki's Delivery Service is a good one, as is Totoro). Pixar folks would watch Miyazaki when they had creativity block (Lassiter made it a cure-all). You can really see the Miyazaki influence in Up.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Basically all of his movies are amazing, but I especially like Howl's Moving Castle. Ponyo is a great disney/pixar alternative for kids

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Pretty much this. I actually quite enjoy a lot of the animated kids movies, whereas the kids shows mostly make you want to gouge your eyes out. There are a few good ones though, Phineas and Ferb is awesome for example.

My only issue with Frozen was just that it was not all that great of a movie. Disney/Pixar/Whomever, have all done much better. It was pretty good sure, but I dont get why the kids love it THAT MUCH.

10. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

We watched Brave again tonight. I had nothing to do with the idea, pure coincidence. It was brought up by the lady, it's her favourite.

Brave has hands down the most beautiful animation of anything ever done. It blows my mind every time. And there are scenes where I always nearly ROTFLMAO. "Feast your eyes!" and the "battle in the hall" are two examples.

If you haven't yet, watch it. Kids or not, you won't regret it.

PS: Disney releases LE dolls of its movies. Latest Frozen. The first Anna and Elsa released last year were 2500 editions each, sold for $100, going for $1200 to $1500 now. Take that stock market.

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I like this Animation talk! I went to Columbia in Chicago for Animation in college, although I don't do that now it has a strong place in my heart and lifestyle interests. I've never hated anything animated but....Frozen....my lord was that bad....just ... I didn't finish it. Technically it was well done but the story was pretty bad and it really wasn't funny, at all.

One of my instructors in college was nominated for an Academy award for this short "stubble trouble".

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

He ended up losing to "Birds on a Wire" from Pixar.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I have some of my college work that is pretty horrible maybe I"ll post it up if I can find it...

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Inb4 Beanie Baby effect

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Wait, what??? We gave the girls those first edition dolls for Christmas last year. My wife ended up picking them up before the movie even came out.

15. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Frozen has grown on me (Do you want to build a snowman? It doesnt have to be a snowman), but I prefer Brave. The Incredibles is great. My son can't get into Jungle Book or Dumbo though, which I find a shame.