1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Drake's has a pretty extensive (maybe expensive) collection: http://www.drakes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fairisle

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Is his wife on to his extended time in the bathroom to post on SF trick? What about when he's at work? I'm surprised he's not posting. Perhaps she took his phone.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you, those are very nice, but a bit too expensive for me. My last one accidentally went in the dryer, causing it to shrink 2 sizes. Not something I'd like to risk with an expensive sweater.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kulata just mentioned price, and Iso, you've mentioned it a number of times.

Whether or not you purchase something should be influenced by price. Whether or not you are happy with something shouldn't be.*

You should not be happy with those pants. Not for a hundred dollars. Not for fifty. Not for free. Now, you've got to wear pants, I understand (this isn't Baltimore after all), but the attitude of "well, it's ok given the price" will leave you destined for disappointment.

By all means go back to your tailor. Get some pictures and circle the parts unacceptable. If you can't see it, I'm sure one of us will be happy to circle it for you. Go in. Tell them your next pair of pants shouldn't have these issues.

Do not get into the habit of settling when it is unnecessary to settle.

* you need a car and only have a grand to spend, so you buy a beater stinking of rum and old sex, with paint peeling off, springs bursting through seats, and "wash me" keyed into the hood. It may give you hepatitis. Now, if you need to get to work and that car is the only one available, buying it is the right choice. But you shouldn't be happy driving your '88 Dodge Thundershart.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    5 people like this.
  5. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

It's funny because when my fiancee found out I was checking my phone all the time for SF posts she basically said "I'm actually happy you're just chatting with a bunch of suit nerds, I have could been spending my time worrying about other women instead"

4 people like this.
  6. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Okay, I can't take it anymore. Screw this. I'll just SF at work, and never outside of work.

So, here's a summary of what's going on in my sartorial life:
    1. Waiting on Formosa navy birdseye suit. Will pull the trigger when I get the twitter alert.
    2. Will go get a $500~ suit from Suit Supply this or next weekend. Lazio or Napoli per Kulata's advice.
    3. Sold the last Zegna suit that never fit me from the start but will keep the other 2 as beaters.
    4. I was polishing my shoes with a bathroom towel. Is this bad? Should I take my wife's stocking or something?
    5. Want to start looking at odd jacket and trousers look (OJT). So here is what I have in mind to start off. Let me know your thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

She's apparently monitoring his posting on here as well, so if he posts in the open he gets in trouble.

I think murl needs to post a picture of a smaller purse for his nads ;)

Edit: Wow. He lives!

@The Noodles , that would go awesome together except that the jacket would look too suit-ish maybe? I'll defer to @Cleav @Murlsquirl @in stitches about this though.

Side note, just get a few terry cloths or use old ripped socks to polish shoes + horse brushes first to get the dirt off. If the towels are soft, it's probably fine, but stockings aren't going to work and I'm sure your wife isn't going to like your snooping around her hosiery lol.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

This should have been Noodles CT.

Also, pant are sometimes required even in Baltimore.

That combo he posted would be awesome. As to the jacket being "to suitish," if Greg is selling it on NMWA as a SC, then it is unquestionable not too suitish.

2 people like this.
  9. The Noodles

No, she doesn't check if I am posting on SF. She got better things to do than that...i.e. make me a sandwich!

Can someone explain to me what the heck my CT means???

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Also, Noodles, for serious, has your wife "banned" you from SF indefinitely, and if so, please tell me why, very specifically, why.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@The Noodles, welcome back. Trousers look decent. I would try to buy things that are a bit more seasonal in nature (e.g. Fresco in summer, flannel in winter) as it will serve you well in the long-run and it's pretty easy to build up a seasonal odd trouser wardrobe when you have to wear a suit 5 days a week and thus don't spend much time in odd trousers. The jacket in question looks like a navy suit jacket to me and not a proper blazer.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

"Sigh."
    This is too embarrassing.
    I told her that I would quit SF because she got really ticked off this past weekend.
    I was on SF via phone constantly when I was with her.
    I think what put the final nail in the coffin was when I was trying to sneak out the suit, the one that I sold this week. She told me not to sell it for sentimental reasons but I was going to do it anyways. So it was like I lied and broke the 'covenant' that I made with her. She also said that I get too materialistic when I become too active in SF. Like buy this tie and this suit and them shoes. She thinks I have plenty of ties, shoes, shirts, and suits. I think it stems from the fact that her dad was very frugal. At any rate, I should have had a conversation about selling the final mistake from the past instead of just sneaking it out. I even got caught red handed as I was trying to sneak it out. LOL [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. archibaldleach

Oh Noodles...

Also, please tell me the suit you sold that she wanted you to keep for sentimental reasons was not your wedding suit.

14. The Noodles

[​IMG]
    That would be nuts! I am not that crazy!
    I sold the Formosa because she said it made me look old.
    Just kidding. Sold this one.
    [​IMG]

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe if you made your own sandwiches she would allow you some more autonomy over your tie purchases?

4 people like this.
  16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

She wants him to dress as if he were born in 1989. Serious.

2 people like this.
  17. archibaldleach

^ Ok. Could be much worse (hard to imagine another suit having enough sentimental value for your wife to react that way, but I don't know your life - maybe you wore this on an early date, when you get engaged, who the hell knows). And nobody buys that you actually sold the Formosa.

18. The Noodles

Listen, my wife is awesome and I love her to death. And this will be the last time I will bad mouth her.
    But how dare she suggest a jcrew suit?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Lying to your partner is not good Noodles! If you're going to do it, just do it, don't sneak!

Thanks Clags. You're right about getting what we're happy with, and no doubt with time I'd look back and be apalled, but I must be honest and say that the trousers look pretty good to me. I've just not developed high enough standard yet. I'll take clearer photos with better lighting when my fuller trousers/suit arrive and see if there's anything I'm missing you guys can point out.

I don't know if it's the bad photos/posture I'm having but I honestly don't find many problems with them wearing them looking at the mirror etc. I'm honestly kind of happy with them, even if that'd make me sound easily pleased. Reading through the pants thread I can see some spots where it's less than ideal, but nothing about it strikes me as really off putting and really noticeable. Also I'd have thought most of the problems are hard to notice and covered by the jacket anyway.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's one of those fabrics that can make a great odd jacket or a great suit jacket. There's actually a good number of those, contrary to recent SF belief - hence the concept of blazersuit (which is currently in backlash phase among in SF, from what I gathered?)

6 people like this.