1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Well, it's certainly not the reason why bought the jacket, but I do like it and plan on keeping it in for a little while.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The best thing you can do to look good in your clothes is to be about 5'10" and weight about 155 lbs. Be sure not to have much discernible muscularity, either. Short of rejiggering your genetics, this is not an option for the majority of us. I think it's much more useful to recommend being healthy and then dressing in a manner which makes the best of your shape.

Using myself as an example, the only physical change that will make me look better in clothes is to lose the bit of softness in my midsection. And even that would be marginal. I'd get more bang for my buck from better fitting suits. Adding muscle will only take me away from the leanness that would put me closer to the "ideal" shape in clothes.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Huh? This is assuming no muscle

4. sugarbutch

Exactly.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

According the common Western standards for attractiveness, I'd say being over 6'2" and about 195lbs with sub 8% body fat makes you look much better than being shorter and without any muscle, all else being equal. Why would below average height and below average weight look better than above average height and above average weight?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

MonkeyFace just described me....he thinks I'm sexy.

7. Monkeyface

Or myself [​IMG] (except for the sub 8% body fat, but that'll happen).

8. sugarbutch

You're talking about how someone's body looks. I'm talking about how someone's body looks in clothes. Also, the person you've described is several inches taller than the average western man, reinforcing my suggestion that an "ideal" body (however it's defined) is unattainable for just about everyone.

9. Monkeyface

Not that much for the average Dutch man (6'1/2" is our average height). Having some muscle makes clothes look better. It fills them out nicely, especially if we're talking about a bespoke suit, but also for a polo shirt or a simple t-shirt. Height makes clothes look better as well. Compare mafoofan in that overcoat of his with any tall person in a similar overcoat.

10. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I read @sugarbutch's remark that 5'10" and 155 lbs as perfect as being tongue in cheek?
    How tall are you, SB?

11. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

being 6'2 190 pounds with 8% body fat probably means you look crappy in clothes. clothes look best on people with narrow shoulders, small thighs and no ass.

people hating on a barbour motorcycle jacket are stupid, although that version is kind of meh, and barbour in that category is inferior to belstaff.

12. sugarbutch

I'm 5'8". My point is not about men's bodies, but about men's bodies in clothes.

Monkeyface, the Netherlands is an outlier. There's really not much more to say about that. As for height, the favorable proportions you seek are there at 5'10" without the weirdness of proportion that comes with additional height. Over 6'0", the person needs that muscle to retain pleasing proportions. Look at the challenges that chocsosa has with suit proportions. And those that Foo faces as well. They're both at the ends of the spectrum.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

I wonder if it would be more accurate to say that looking good in classic menswear (in terms of how the clothes fit and fall on one's body) becomes more challenging from a tailoring perspective as one's body deviates from the measurements SB gave. An average height and reasonably thin man poses fewer tailoring problems IMO than men who are shorter or taller, more muscular or heavyset, etc. I do think that someone who is a bit taller and more muscular can look very good in classic menswear with good tailoring if the drop is not too extreme.

Looking good in something like linen trousers and a polo, however, is a different ball game from looking good in a suit or in a tweed jacket of some sort.

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I agree with this.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

narrow shoulders? :puzzled: wtf