Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I quite like single breasted peak lapeled suits. I have one similar to what you describe in fresco and enjoy it:

[​IMG]

Also Anthony Eden approves:

[​IMG]

I don't like hacking pockets though. And definitely not with ticket pockets.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. unbelragazzo

You just want more options similar to Valstar or is there a specific reason you don't want to just get a Valstar?

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

That's what I thought on the "...you and yours..." We could not be any happier!

I didnt realize that I had typed new becomers, I meant newcomers! lol. I was commuting back home so excuse my poor grammar. It obviously is not my strong suit. Lol.

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Maybe I have been brainwashed by SF-ology but it is weird seeing peak lapels on a SB, and I love peak lapels. I think they are [email protected]

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Nothing weird about it whatsoever. Notch lapels are the more conservative option and are preferable in an environment where you want your clothes to blend in, but that's about it.

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

SB peak lapels are as classic as they come. Some folks just don't like it based on individual tastes.

7. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

I like SB peak lapels, too. I think they work better with as part of a three-piece ensemble, but a two-piece works as well. (Just no odd jackets unless it's a DB!) I wouldn't advise a two-button, but I suppose that's only a preference. I just like the how a peak lapel looks with a good 3r2 lapel roll, or the sleek simplicity of a one-button.

Despise hacking pockets, and think ticket pockets work only if it's a more casual suit, or if it's a very plain solid fabric that needs something to break up the verticality. Might do one on the solid navy travel suit I plan on getting.

8. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

Valstars are nice, but I'm open to any options that people have experience with. I guess I'm just not attached, and I'm looking for direction. I imagine that a cotton jacket of some sort could be nice, but sometimes I think that would be boring with cotton trousers. A light suede a-1/a-2 style jacket seems more interesting, and maybe better with wool trousers?

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Just want to help bring on a picnic attack. Noodles, there has never been any SF mantra against SBs with peak lapels.

:lurk:

10. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

The Formosa is going to be your "strong suit."

11. unbelragazzo

For some odd reason I like linen jackets with peak lapels, even if odd jackets and SB. Can't tell you why. Also, velvet jackets should be peak if not shawl.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know "picnic attack." Wasn't their something about knitting as well?

Single breasted peak lapels are alright. Narrow peak lapels, I take a bit of issue with. Noodles, if you recall the suit that started one of your earlier picnic attacks, most people took issue with the narrowness rather than the number of breasteses.

With a few exceptions a month, when I need(ed) to wear a suit, I also dress as a statement (I could get by with polos or OCBDs and jeans). Granted, my statement is: I like clothes. Your statement might be a bit more political, artistic, philosophical, etc.

I think most posters actually dress as they do by choice.

Anything in linen. [​IMG]

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

What's a picnic attack?

That's definitely the problem of some of my suits I got early on. All have overly thin lapels and I didn't know better. I think as far as it goes it's not as bad on me as on others as I'm a bit skinny, but it's still a bit unfortunate.

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Also what the thought on hacking pockets? I'm talking pretty subtle slant too. What about on a solid db jacket?

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nothing wrong with hacking pockets. But I think that, when starting out, you shouldn't deviate from what is standard without good reason, or at least, a decent reason. Deviation for the sake of deviation (e.g. getting something slightly unusual in an mtm/bespoke suit just because you can) isn't a great idea, especially when you're first familiarizing yourself with your clothes. That being said, hacking pockets are a pretty small deviation. I still suggest tradition flap pockets though and no ticket pocket. But I'm a ninny like that.

As far as lapel width, I think 3 inches would do you fine. That's on the narrow end of conservative.