• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A word about Koreans--as soon as they get something, they take it all the way. Provided his wife allows it and he sticks with it, Rudals is going to be the best dressed UCBD poster on the forum by fall 2015. Mark it in your calendar.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Much appreciate the feedback TweetyProf. I wonder if it is the jacket construction or more of my body (changed since purchasing). I need to get back into shape but I get the feeling that this suit just wasnt for me.

Your welcome (though try Despos, he's the man).

The thing to remember about SF is that in this context, we're picky about details. But in the end, when you walk out the door, you're likely to get compliments (which of course you'll accept graciously, but now with a knowing smile).

Enjoy your suit even if you know what needs to be changed. Just work on the next one (and watch those sales people...some will say anything to sell you a suit). Stitches is a walking advert (in his pics) for trying on the Formosa suits, so check out NMWA.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A word about Koreans--as soon as they get something, they take it all the way. Provided his wife allows it and he sticks with it, Rudals is going to be the best dressed UCBD poster on the forum by fall 2015. Mark it in your calendar.

I hope Stitches won't mind my saying this, but I was rereading the first 20 or so pages in the Good Taste thread. I saw Stitches first post which wasn't bad, but you have to compare the one pic that survived in 2012 to any of the recent fit pics (Stitches was seriously into purple back then
smile.gif
).

Rudals check it out. It took Stitches a year or so to move from meh to playing with the big boys in that thread. I wish I could demonstrate such steep learning.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rudals is going to be textbook well executed UCBD. Count it.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, thx Clag. I am open to all feedbacks and constructive criticisms (are they the same words?). I am willing to learn and change whatever it is that I am doing wrong. But doesn't mean I will just lay down and have no personality of my own. I believe I have been quite open minded and will remain so.

Anyhow, I hope to get there by the end of this year and I am officially calling it quits from NM. They not only have sold me $hitty ties but also a mediocre suit. I am trying to get back to my lean form so the jackets and my shirts should be fitting better soon.

Was the suit any better before I packed on 5 to 10 pounds of fat? The shoulders still look narrow.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Noodles, best to leave the top button unbuttoned on that jacket. Not mandatory like the bottom button on a two-button jacket, but it will look better

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Noodles, why u pay full price for soots???? :fu:

You should ask this thread next time before you kop so we can find you a better version if you like a certain fabric!!!! Stop getting blinded by the brand names!! As @mimo said, that's what got you into trouble with the Neiman ties!!!

So did I effup this purchase? It's already a water ubder the bridge but this Isaia was one that I purchased couple months ago...at full price

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, don't you worry! I have you guys and the Mrs Rudals to prevent me from making dumb decisions like these.
I just thought, since I don't know what is good and what is bad and what to look for, if I went with what is expensive that I will end up with a nice suit.
Same thing with ties.
I thought EXPENSIVE = GOOD

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, thx Clag. I am open to all feedbacks and constructive criticisms (are they the same words?). I am willing to learn and change whatever it is that I am doing wrong. But doesn't mean I will just lay down and have no personality of my own. I believe I have been quite open minded and will remain so.

Anyhow, I hope to get there by the end of this year and I am officially calling it quits from NM. They not only have sold me $hitty ties but also a mediocre suit. I am trying to get back to my lean form so the jackets and my shirts should be fitting better soon.

Was the suit any better before I packed on 5 to 10 pounds of fat? The shoulders still look narrow.

I'm not sure it's the shoulder-to-shoulder measurement per se but how your arm relates to your shoulder.

There was another guy in WAYWRN who I directed to Despos. Basically, a larger upper arm needs different construction at the shoulder (the relevant measureent is where the tailor measures your shoulder/chest including your arms...there is a term for this which I don't remember). The person in question (in a similar position to you) was a former football player so had very muscular arms but caused the same issue at the shoulder. The upper arm is bulging a bit so you break the clean line along the arm. I'm guessing you have a similar issue.

Anyway, if you can go Isaia at full price, why not go bespoke? Umbel has a write-up of someone in the DC area (see Ivory Tower Style). I'm sure there are others in SF who can speak to this (and Despos travels to DC too). Or get Clags to lend you his tailor.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mid-gray sharkskin.

never been a huge fran of sharkskin. not sure why.

he defo has the drive.

^ Noodles, best to leave the top button unbuttoned on that jacket. Not mandatory like the bottom button on a two-button jacket, but it will look better

this is probably true. lets see it, rudals.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know a good tailor in DC. I was going to go see him for a bespoke but Stitchie and Clag talked me out of it because I've yet to figure out what kind of look I want.
Mr. Fields in Georgetown, DC has been recommended by many thus far. He starts off at $3k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads