1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I've heard quite the opposite in my readings about CXL. http://horween.com/leathers/chromexcel/ thats just a brief blurb on Horweens website but in the shoe care thread it's always mentioned as having a great durability with little to no maintenance.

I'd be interested in hearing more first hand opinions longevity wise and such. Maybe @DWFII can shed some light?

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I cannot keep up with this thread. @Murlsquirl , I am looking for almost the exact same boot. I'm drooling over the Islay, but $600-700 seems pricy for a pebble grain boot. I'm also considering organizing a group MTO of Mr. Six's Carmina boot with pebble grain, a storm welt and danite sole, which would probably come in under $500 (just a guess), but it's no sure thing to get six people interested.

I think the convincing point for me was seeing @Crat 's pictures of his Islays and how they've cleaned up afterwards.

C&J Islay (not sure who this is) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Crat

Crat Distinguished Member

That is the best pic. of the Islay out there but I'd never wear them like that tbh. Don't like boot tucks.

4. New Shoes1

I recall posts in the AE thread where people were posting pictures of wrinkly CXL boots and asking if their boots were defective. The response back was that this is how CXL looks with wear. I have no experience with it, so curious to hear from people in the know.

5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

I got those in October 2012 (had to check my email). I haven't done anything other than brush them after each wearing. They haven't shown any signs of drying out, and most scuffs have brushed out. I plan to use something on them before the coming fall/winter but haven't decided what yet (I need to search the shoe care thread). I've seen some of those photos of terrible looking CXL and wondered what kind of care the owners were taking of them. I think that if you brush after wear, store with shoe trees, moisturize when they seem to need it, and let them dry properly, CXL boots should hold up and patina nicely.

Edit to add: The leather will crease and wrinkle some but I haven't found it to be outrageous like some of those photos. Maybe I've just been lucky. And I have a decent rotation of footwear.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'd get in with you on a MTO NewShoes, but I'm looking at having boots on my feet this month. Nice picture...minus the tucked in sweatpants of course.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I am not fond of CXL. It is an oil stuffed leather and not all that distinctive relative to other oil stuffed leathers. Horween has said it can be 'bulled" but I have my doubts that it can be done without more work that they may be worth. I say that because I don't think the bulling will hold.

All that makes it a "work" or casual leather in my estimation, with nothing to recommend it over other work leathers. That said, it may have good longevity I haven't used any in years.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

9. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

I was in your city this week, from Sunday to Wednesday, and stopped into Haberdash to see if they had any Eidos in 38. I was looking at that exact jacket.

10. New Shoes1

For calfskin shoes, yes, as long as you have six participants. There would be a premium above this for boots, but I'd be surprised if was more than a $50-75 premium. You should start hanging out in the Gentlemens' Footwear thread where these MTO's are organized. If you see one you like, @steveyoo1983 can let you know the cost.

11. New Shoes1

While on the subject of boots, I've also had my eye on these Carminas for a dressier option:

[​IMG]

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

DW, what are your thoughts/experience with moose leather? i am looking at having a couple of boots/shoes made in it.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Id be down to join a pebble calf boot MTO, but I'm very unsure of Carmina sizing (I wear 10.5 3E AE Strand), and I would ideally like a lighter color. Was about to pull the trigger on a chili grain Dalton before the hammer came down...

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Ed,

I'd be real careful and suspicious. Most wild animals like that have very open and loose fibered hides. The changes of season and the way the hair and hair follicles are structured to provide insulation works against what you want in a shoe leather.

some say deer and elk and moose are soft. That's true but the downside to all softness is an inability to retain shape or fit.

Better for slippers I think.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

yes, it is soft and thick, I have some swatches. I'll probably just leave it for the shaft of a boot at most then.