Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Physical therapists tend to be athletic and attractive.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

On Viola Milanos, if they remind me of anything, they look like Shibumi ties...

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Time to order some Sam Hober grenadine ties!
    [​IMG]

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

They looked nice but I didn't spend much time there since without photos I can't really do an article on them. Usually when I find a booth I think might be interesting, I introduce myself, say that I might be interested in writing about them, and ask if I can ask them some questions and take pictures. If they say no, I just thank them and move on.

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Crazy, why wouldn't they let you take photos? The point of being there at Pitti is to get publicity for your products, isn't it?

6. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Have anybody ever tried A. Quaranta Locatelli ties? Would love to hear your thoughts on them. I love them personally. They stock a small amount at a time on their website, but seem to update their collection rather frequently. Prices are €70 for standard 3-fold construction and €90 for 7-fold.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Pompous bastards !

8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Please tell David to get the burgundy grenadine fina silk to his workshop quicker than mid-september whilst you're at it. I'm eager to place an order, but am waiting for it to arrive.

9. C&A

C&A Senior member

It's a Dutch based brand set up by a former Dutch/Swedish suit supply employee. It's a bit comparable to Shibumi and some of the other recently created tie/assecoires brands. Although I believe Viola Milano does a better job marketing their stuff on the social media. Their prices are pretty high. Look at the re-branded Sozzi zigzag ties for instance, € 95 plus shipping. They have some nice designs, but I personally prefer Hober or Cappelli. Or would for instance look into a bespoke Exquisite Trimmings' house brand tie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks C&A.

Are those zig-zag's made by Sozzi then sold for a higher price? Henry Carter has some for sale, but none in chocolate or navy, alas.

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Not really. Diff companies have different reasons for being there. Plenty of companies don't want pics taken, at least from outlets they don't recognize. Most common reasons are worry about industrial espionage and no control over photo quality. Both are valid concerns.

12. C&A

C&A Senior member

Yes they are. I see ET still has some colours left http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties. There is also a guy on the Dutch form who also has an account here (CarloLanza) who runs a Dutch online shop mainly selling Sozzi socks, he sold the ties for € 49 and deducts 21% VAT for orders outside of Europe. You could send him a pm and see whether he's got some left or can order some new ones.

13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Are they Dutch? Didn't know that. I feel cheated now [​IMG]

14. C&A

C&A Senior member

Yes definitely. Google for Tom Nathaniel. You can also see that quite a lot of their ambassadors are Dutch. Some guys running the "Atelier Italia" for Oger, and some guys at Pauw Mannen.

15. C&A

C&A Senior member

To add:

Together with some other Dutch and Scandinavian guys he is/was also the force behind the dg6 tumblr/site, which mainly published lists of "best dressed men". Basically mentioning everyone who gets a decent amount of blogging and reblogging at Pitti plus some Italian industrialists. But I think all these guys now went their separate ways or have different projects to attend to and are not putting much time in the dg6 thing anymore.