• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Has anyone had Will Field re-cut double reverse pleat trousers into flat front? And if so, was it successful? Or should I just question my own sanity regarding removing double pleats.

I wouldn't bother with this. You'd basically have to reconstruct the pants.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
This just in: I have no more holes in my belt. I must size down. Waist size is much slimmer but weight remains same. Wrird.

Celadon

Reaction score
This just in: I have no more holes in my belt. I must size down. Waist size is much slimmer but weight remains same. Wrird.

Nothing weird about that. It just means that you added muscle weight and lost fat.

Oh, and surely you could make some additional holes in the belt. Or have a cobbler make them for you.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote:

See above. I think it's the affluence thing. Way more people in surgery lift vs those in medicine.

Disagree with you on this. It's a cultural thing. When I was in med school, the students who wanted to become surgeons lifted to fit in with the surgeons. Many of them had been athletes and already lifted before med school. Even those who had never lifted before picked it up.

Also salary of medical specialties has nothing to do with it IMO. Other medical specialties compensated similarly to orthopedic surgery do not have similar gym/lifting rates.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible to have both. But in actual real life, the smartest and most successful men I've come across have spent very little time inside a gym.

Disagree, most successful people in finance are actually quite jacked. Going to the gym at 5:30am before starting work at 6:30am is quite common around here. They all have postgrad degrees or even PhD's, and they make a hell of a lot of money. I'd say the same goes for the top people in the business world.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apropos of the ties @C&A is selling (if they aren't all sold out), found this pic which is similar to the grenadine I think Claghorn purchased.

This is Kenji Kaga of Tie your Tie.

Comment: I think tied more normally, this tie would be a tad thin for those lapels (and I think he realizes it, aside from the Sprezz). But the texture is very nice. Those ties pull at me especially at C&As offering price. Just wish they were a bit wider. I also think this is an example of white being too stark for the textured/causal/country feel of the fit.

Last edited:

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with double pleats. They're so much more comfortable than flat front trousers, especially when the trousers are on the slimmer side. They only look bad when the trousers are low rise.

Nothing wrong, yes, but as with most things aesthetic related, it is personal preference.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks--some great stuff in here to give me some more ideas.

@aravenel

When it comes to groomsmen, I don't get the whole practice of having a bunch of dudes standing behind you, especially not when they're all matching. The history behind it isn't particulalry appealing either. Anyway, I'm going to avoid that whole matchy-matchy problem by getting married without any groomsmen, when the time comes.

If they must wear a gold/yellow tie make sure it's not shiny and has some nice texture to it. Maybe linen, a grenadine or perhaps even cotton if the weather is still nice. Wear it with a navy suit and it'll look ok. I'm afraid it'll look washed out with a light grey suit. It's certainly a very hard look to pull off. All three ties you've chosen are nice, but I'd recommend you don't buy the same tie. Buy different ones in the yellow spectrum and it'll look much nicer, like your groomsmen actually got to choose their own tie. 

Completely agree on all points, but I think we burned up most of our political capital convincing her to let him dress like a grown-ass man. I'll wear a yellow tie if I have to. I just need to find one that's not terrible.

Aravanel - The first link is the best!

Agree, I just know lots of folks are going to balk at the price. The grenadine is looking more likely at this point.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Conrad just had his 20% off sale which ended a few days ago. Perhaps you might see ask if he'll extend it for you on this one purchase? I like that grenadine. Just saw a yellow tie by Pazzion (sp?) in the Hober thread. Did you consider that one as well?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Conrad just had his 20% off sale which ended a few days ago. Perhaps you might see ask if he'll extend it for you on this one purchase? I like that grenadine. Just saw a yellow tie by Pazzion (sp?) in the Hober thread. Did you consider that one as well?

Didn't know about the sale, will get in touch with him--thanks.

The Hober one (presume you are talking about this one? http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-printed-silk-tie-145.html) is in the running--unfortunately he only has enough for three ties, so we're going to need other options as well.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, you need a set (I was thinking each groomsmen can pick their own....though that wouldn't make much sense I guess)?

Yeah, talk to Conrad. Bulk orders I would think might be negotiable. And yes, that's the Hober I was thinking about.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Muscles get bigger/stronger from lifting heavy weights for a small amount of repetitions. The classic standard is 3 sets of 8 reps, with the weight heavy enough so that you can barely make the last rep. Doing 100 reps of jump ropes won't induce muscle growth.You'd need to 3 set of 8 squats with at least 100lbs on your back to start gaining some muscle.

It's not an entirely accurate example, but compare the body of a marathon runner (lots of reps/light weights) with that of a sprinter (little reps/heavy weights).

This. Also the diet of the Sprinter vs the Marathoner are way different. I love Pop Tarts.
inlove.gif

Everybody serious about CM should be able to do 10-15 pull-ups (Body weight) at a go. No need for shoulder extensions
biggrin.gif

This.
lol8[1].gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, you need a set (I was thinking each groomsmen can pick their own....though that wouldn't make much sense I guess)?

Yeah, talk to Conrad. Bulk orders I would think might be negotiable. And yes, that's the Hober I was thinking about.

I'm trying to push for several options and letting each groomsman pick--if that's the case, the Hober might still be in the running.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads