Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't bother with this. You'd basically have to reconstruct the pants.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

There's nothing wrong with double pleats. They're so much more comfortable than flat front trousers, especially when the trousers are on the slimmer side. They only look bad when the trousers are low rise.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

This just in: I have no more holes in my belt. I must size down. Waist size is much slimmer but weight remains same. Wrird.

4. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

Nothing weird about that. It just means that you added muscle weight and lost fat.

Oh, and surely you could make some additional holes in the belt. Or have a cobbler make them for you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Naw, I can just unscrew the leather and cut it and put it back in.

6. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Disagree with you on this. It's a cultural thing. When I was in med school, the students who wanted to become surgeons lifted to fit in with the surgeons. Many of them had been athletes and already lifted before med school. Even those who had never lifted before picked it up.

Also salary of medical specialties has nothing to do with it IMO. Other medical specialties compensated similarly to orthopedic surgery do not have similar gym/lifting rates.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Disagree, most successful people in finance are actually quite jacked. Going to the gym at 5:30am before starting work at 6:30am is quite common around here. They all have postgrad degrees or even PhD's, and they make a hell of a lot of money. I'd say the same goes for the top people in the business world.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Apropos of the ties @C&A is selling (if they aren't all sold out), found this pic which is similar to the grenadine I think Claghorn purchased.

[​IMG]
    This is Kenji Kaga of Tie your Tie.

Comment: I think tied more normally, this tie would be a tad thin for those lapels (and I think he realizes it, aside from the Sprezz). But the texture is very nice. Those ties pull at me especially at C&As offering price. Just wish they were a bit wider. I also think this is an example of white being too stark for the textured/causal/country feel of the fit.

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Nothing wrong, yes, but as with most things aesthetic related, it is personal preference.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks--some great stuff in here to give me some more ideas.

Completely agree on all points, but I think we burned up most of our political capital convincing her to let him dress like a grown-ass man. I'll wear a yellow tie if I have to. I just need to find one that's not terrible.

Agree, I just know lots of folks are going to balk at the price. The grenadine is looking more likely at this point.

11. TweedyProf

Conrad just had his 20% off sale which ended a few days ago. Perhaps you might see ask if he'll extend it for you on this one purchase? I like that grenadine. Just saw a yellow tie by Pazzion (sp?) in the Hober thread. Did you consider that one as well?

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Didn't know about the sale, will get in touch with him--thanks.

The Hober one (presume you are talking about this one? http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-printed-silk-tie-145.html) is in the running--unfortunately he only has enough for three ties, so we're going to need other options as well.

13. TweedyProf

Oh, you need a set (I was thinking each groomsmen can pick their own....though that wouldn't make much sense I guess)?

Yeah, talk to Conrad. Bulk orders I would think might be negotiable. And yes, that's the Hober I was thinking about.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

This. Also the diet of the Sprinter vs the Marathoner are way different. I love Pop Tarts. [​IMG]

This. [​IMG]

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'm trying to push for several options and letting each groomsman pick--if that's the case, the Hober might still be in the running.