Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

No. But make an appt to see him. He is an excellent tailor and person. He alwaus takes time to answer my questions and educates me on stuff, like how to look for fully canvassed jacket using the peel method.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

You the man!

That's quite interesting.
    The successful (not necessarily smart)people that I have met in the business world are very hard working people and are workout-holics as well as workaholics

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Yep, that's the plan. He's been great with every interaction I've had with him. Trying to decide whether to pick the suit up off the bay or not atm.

4. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Where the hell do you live man :) cause it definitely isn't where I live :)

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Same here. The super type-A, masters of the universe I know apply their hard-working nature towards both their body and their work.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Aravanel - The first link is the best!

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You've apparently never worked in Orthopaedic surgery.

I will say that endurance sports are more popular among the affluent. I've done both. I use to race bikes and I primarily lift now. Cycling will always be my passion and I hope to someday get back into and balance that and lifting. I could probably race well at 170lbs or so. I'm 5'10 and 165 right now.

8. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I enjoy going to the gym as well, but I was always more interested in strength training then endurance training. I grew up idolizing guys like Stallone, Arnold, etc. :) Not to mention I was tall and lanky as a kid growing up, so I couldn't wait to put on any kind of muscle, even if it meant losing losing each and every abdominal in the process :)

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Ortho is famous for attracting athletes. What about other specialties?

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Sports and gym are not the same, @MGD83 was talking about the gym specifically. I love cycling, but I absolutely hate the gym.

11. ridethecliche

Quote:
    I mentioned lifting in my schpeal too. A lot of the ortho guys I work with lift. They also dabble in sports and stuff, but many of them lift.

Like I said, it is much more popular for the affluent to dabble in endurance sports. That's whats 'in' these days. Things used to be difference a few decades ago.\\
    See above. I think it's the affluence thing. Way more people in surgery lift vs those in medicine.

It's not a 100% thing, but I'm just saying based on the institution I work at. Med guys are usually scrawny vs the surgeons who tend to be bigger.

In certain cultures, whiteness is prized because it means you didn't work out in the fields and were a higher class/caste. In America, being scrawny and into endurance sports symbolizes that you get paid to think and not to do more menial labor. I think that the divide also occurs on class lines.

12. ridethecliche

I could be crazy though. I hit a dumbbell to my head an hour and a half ago while I was trying to do something.

Got a sexy lil bump right thurr now. It'll be hawt for my date tomorrow night lol.

13. vida

vida Senior member

Thanks, TweedyProf. I'm on the fence but I tend to agree with you.

14. ridethecliche

Real talk though:

I used to weigh 135 when I started school and bike racing. When I raced, I stabilized at like 145-150ish in season. I am WAY happier with my body now.

The gym is a different kind of zen to endurance sports. I love them both for totally different reasons.

I'd still like to strike a balance in the future if I'm able to bike again. Then again, I damn nearly died doing that so I'm not sure it's the best decision.

15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Crimson - I'd give Will a ring before buying. I had a discussion with him about an old circa-'99 YSL suit that I have and love for semi-sartorial (it's a really lovely PoW) and semi-sentimental (my wife bought it for me before she was my wife or we could really afford it) reasons. The coat is a bit long and it's an unvented 3-button. Trou have a too-high rise and are single reverse pleat.

Will was unconcerned about shortening the coat and pressing to a 3r2 sack, but suggested leaving the pleats alone and just slimming the trou and changing the rise. I don't recall his exact reasoning on why he wasn't hot on the pleat removal but it's worth a phone call before purchasing anything.