Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

The two year old in me had a chuckle. :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

2. europrep

europrep Senior member

Tailors have their own style and preferences that won't necessarily be the same as your personal preference for leg openings and trouser length. Every decent tailor I have encountered in Boston would give me a large break on my trouser length if I didn't specify I preferred a small break. It is always good to consider your tailors advice, but not always best to follow it.

3. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

I am 6'0" and about 180 lbs. Size 9b or c shoe. I find that anything under 8-8.25" leg opening means the trouser leg gets caught on my calf and messes up the break.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You might regret slimming the thighs if you're serious about working out. I remember during the first six months of working out the circumference of my quads increased so much that I had to replace every single pair of trousers. Your legs will increase in size much faster than your shoulders, so if you expect to gain .5" in width over the coming months, expect your legs to increase by a hell of a lot more.

FWIW, all of my Luxire trousers have 13.5" thighs and 8.5" leg openings, and my suit trousers have 8.75" leg openings. I'm 6'2", 190lbs and wear UK10 shoes.

5. vida

vida Senior member

What do you guys think of the length of these two jackets. I tried both over the weekend but did not make a decision because I am a bit unsure of the length. The grey is an Isaia "Cortina" model and the other is by Boglioli. For reference, they are both 28" in length. I'm 5'9" and most of my jackets are about 29". They both fit almost exactly as shown in the photos. [ATTACHMENT=9537]isaia.jpg (26k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=9538]boglioli1.jpg (24k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=9539][ATTACHMENT=9540]IMG_0629.JPG2.JPG (2,107k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

6. vida

vida Senior member

What do you guys think of the length of these two jackets. I tried both over the weekend but did not make a decision because I am a bit unsure of the length. The grey is an Isaia "Cortina" model and the other is by Boglioli. For reference, they are both 28" in length. I'm 5'9" and most of my jackets are about 29". They both fit almost exactly as shown in the photos. [ATTACHMENT=9537]isaia.jpg (26k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=9539][ATTACHMENT=9540]IMG_0629.JPG2.JPG (2,107k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

7. vida

vida Senior member

8. vida

vida Senior member

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

It's funny. When I do just cardio (jump ropes) my thigh muscles are the first to go. You would think your thigh muscles will get thicker.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Muscles get bigger/stronger from lifting heavy weights for a small amount of repetitions. The classic standard is 3 sets of 8 reps, with the weight heavy enough so that you can barely make the last rep. Doing 100 reps of jump ropes won't induce muscle growth.You'd need to 3 set of 8 squats with at least 100lbs on your back to start gaining some muscle.

It's not an entirely accurate example, but compare the body of a marathon runner (lots of reps/light weights) with that of a sprinter (little reps/heavy weights).

[​IMG]

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

Everybody serious about CM should be able to do 10-15 pull-ups (Body weight) at a go. No need for shoulder extensions :D

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

NOODLES' RANT OF THE DAY
    So I have been on the phone and in the branch offices due to issues with my bank. They were a local bank when I first joined them, only to be bought out by a bigger and finally got engulfed by one of the Big Banks. The customer service has gone from Neiman Marcus to a used car dealership. Every time I call, they want to offer me some product that they believe is the best interest for me. For example, I have a car loan (paid off almost 80%) at 1.90%, and the bank tells me to refinance at 18.99%. I asked them why in the world should I do that?! So I can get extra cash. WTF?! Then they ask me to refinance my mortgage (paying 3.25%) and they tell me they have a great deal for me for 4.5%. WTF?! Obviously, I've refused both times and had to ask them WTF they are trying to do. It appears that ever since they got bought out by the Big Bank, they have become EXTREMELY predatory and are trying to throw all the bad products that they can at me in hopes of one sticking. I walked into the branch today and told them that I am sick of all these predatory solicitations that don't help me out and your extremely poor customer service, and CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. I think I'll be banking with a local bank that offers good customer service.

Yup. While the example in the picture may be extreme, this is the reality. This is why I ensure that I do squats with my 40 lbs (each) dumbbells. When I do occasionally run, I sprint like there is no tomorrow instead of the boring casual jog.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

OK crowd, here's a challenge for you.

A friend of mine is getting married and his fiance wants the groomsmen to wear gold or yellow ties. Thankfully we have managed to convince her to let the groom wear a classic wedding tie, but it's looking like yellow or gold for the groomsmen.

I'm going to help choose the ties, but yellow and gold are pretty far outside of colors that I normally look at for ties, so I'm somewhat drawing a blank here.

For reference, this will be worn with a mid to light grey suit and either a light blue or white shirt--shirt is also undecided and may depend on the tie(s) we end up picking. Wedding is in September.

A few options I've found thus far:

1. http://www.conradwu.com/collections/neckties/products/yellow-print-grenadine - Maybe my favorite so far, but it's a bit pricey for some.
    2. http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...ory-self-tipped-silk-tie-gold-red-prints.html - Seems a bit too bright to me.
    3. http://www.henrycarter.com.au/product/saffron-grenadine-grossa/ - Somewhat muted, grenadine, what's not to like? May be the frontrunner for now.

Any other suggestions? If I recall, NMWA had some great muted yellow fall ties, but none of them are really around anymore.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Who's got the link to the YELLOW tie FC?

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

This
    [​IMG]
    or this?
    [​IMG]

Shots of Justin Kapur. What say you to versatility of fabric pattern? Brown/cream houndstooth and midnight with aqua check.

Aravanel: that printed grenadine is awesome, but pricey. My vote.