1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Agreed. After having 3 or 4 larger dot ties, I realized I never use them.

--

No bueno, Noodles.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

On Meermin's...they are very attractive for being hand-lasted and also sourcing leathers from the same sources as Carmina does. I suspect that as their craftspeople become more skilled (the more shoes you make...), the production and quality control issues are less of an issue. I don't care that they are made in China as long as the makers there have a lot of experience, which over three years or so now, they must.

Not that I'm afraid of gemming coming undone (reference to exploding shoes) in Carminas.

Anyone have recent meermin? What lasts are most similar to simpson and rain lasts?

1 person likes this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

There's an entire thread devoted to meermin, I think a lot of people that moved to them came from owning AE's and said that one buys a full size down from the park avenue or any other 5 lasted shoe. So it's pretty similar.

I think I'm going to wait for some of their boots. The pricepoint is perfect for me and I wouldn't mind splurging at some point for good footwear!

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Can someone break this down? So I've listened and sized up to 40R (first picture). To my untrained eyes, the one or two improvements that I see are clean shoulders, clean drop from the shoulders, and I can button the jacket. Anything else?

40R

[​IMG]

38R
    [​IMG]

38R
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  5. ridethecliche

Length is slightly better as well, as are the quarters.

Honestly, it depends on the brand. Some brands and fits are more roomy than others. Some of the more 'trad' american brands have 'classic' lines that are fuller like jpress and bb. The italian stuff is usually cut a bit slimmer, but it honestly depends. There's a lot of variation between brands and even within lines of brands depending on who is making it.

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

We hold these truths to be self evident: that not all suits are created equal; that they are endowed by their respective makers with certain unalienable characteristics, that among these are style, cut and sizing differences. Which makes comparing suits from different makes by their size tags meaningless....
    TBH, I'm still a bit at a loss to explain why the quarters on your Formosa look more closed than on @Murlsquirl . Do you pull your shoulders back when roboposing?

7. The Noodles

I tend to straight up my shoulders.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

• Much nicer chest as well, which is one of the most important, but often overlooked features of a suit imho. The chest can make or break a suit
    • The buttoning point is closer to your natural waist
    • Length is slightly better
    • When it comes to the pose, you have your hands rotated in a more natural position than the monkey hands in the other pictures, which causes a big difference in the way your shoulders look. Your posture is very different from murl (yours is more natural and healthier), so it makes sense the suit looks different on you

1 person likes this.
  9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Here is the suit on me. I think the quarters are due to the stance.
    [​IMG]

10. The Noodles

...just realized, I am wearing what Murl was wearing. I don't know if it is really the stance. Here's another angle.
    [​IMG]

11. Murlsquirl

Not the same. I always pose with one leg sticking further out and a bit bent. That can throw the quarters open a bit. All I know is you look good that suit. Case closed.

2 people like this.
  12. The Noodles

Agreed on case being closed.
    Keep on buying Formosa suits.
    Keep on buying nice staple ties. Also try ties made of materials other than wool.
    Covered on shirts.
    Shoes...to buy more would be living in luxury. Think I am fine here despite having just 2 SF approved pairs and 3 so-so pairs.

What's next?
    Hats? Gold chain necklaces? Cane?
    I'll just lurk and fine tune.

13. ridethecliche

Yeah, this is my game plan.

I think I have far better shirts and jackets at this point, after having just bought. Shoes are also decent. I'm going to try eeking out a few more pairs of nice pants, with a staple grey first on the list. I just got rid of a bunch of shirts and few pairs of pants that don't fit right or that I probably would never wear again, as well as a bunch of ties that I doubt I'd ever touch again!

But I yearn for nice shooz.

All in good time. This year was better than the last, the next will be better than this.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You definitely need shoes so you can throw out those adidas you always wear. Either get yourself some nice sneakers if you're into streetwear, or get yourself some nice loafers for casual wear.

3 people like this.
  15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Before you close the case I believe this is extremely important

3 people like this.
  16. ridethecliche

Yeah noodles, those meermin loafers are kewl.

Also, asics onitsuka tigers for streetwear. Or even just vans brah.

17. Murlsquirl

Don't listen to these lunatics, Noodles. Loafers and cool should never be used in the same sentence. You don't need to spend a ton on sneakers....Converse, Vans, and Adidas all make classic shoes that will always look good when worn right.

3 people like this.
  18. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

Right, some tie questions.

I've just seen that Exquisite Trimmings has a load of new Macclesfields in. I'm assuming given that they're small geometric patterns, they're most appropriate for CBD wear?

Also, I have a tie, which has a small stain on it. I have no idea what said stain is. What's the best way to try and get it out? Or is that not really possible and am I going to have to consign it to the bin? (I really would rather not as it's my favourite tie: it's a really nice dark green floral neat from ET and it ties a great knot)

Also, any idea who makes ET's ties? They say they're made in Italy, and I think I recognised some of the patterns when browsing the Cappelli website.

Last question, aren't ties just the best thing ever?

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm also going to throw a chukka out as a great option for casual wear with jeans, Noodles.

5 people like this.
  20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Get at least some butteros and darkwash or raw denim. Your casual wear looks like it's straight from a 90s high school.

And yes, Adidas does make cool shoes. I used to have at least 10 pairs of rare and limited editions. The RUN DMC ones were my favourites. I was also 13 when I wore those.

1 person likes this.