Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yah, NickP, your pictures were enough to settle any debate. Your presence was a few hours too late ;)

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

There are endless debates on what exactly are the characteristics of the Neapolitan jacket, but I think it's fair to say that they do tend to have wider lapels. Here's the window of the Attolini shop in Naples a couple of months ago:

[​IMG]

Formosa:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Is anyone else finding the prevalence of the 3r2 button arrangement rather tiresome these days? Perhaps it's just me being a young dinosaur as usual...

This style of gorge, lapel and length is, however, a delight to me - especially in the face of the Bieberesque skinny-lapelled hipster bumfreezers of contemporary fashion emporia.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Not really, if I recall correctly the only appropriate amount of buttons is one or three. I think I read it in an article on Huntsman. So a 3 roll 2 has the right amount of buttons, but the look of a 2.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

But it doesn't look like a two. The way the lower lapel bulges makes it look like an oddly-pressed three. Anyway, it's a "thing", it's popular in current iGentry and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just surprised at how much it appears to have become a standard.

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Since we're talking about characteristics of the Neapolitan jacket, the 3r2 button arrangement is very much one of those characteristics. And always has been, regardless of whether it is a current prevalence.

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

In my opinion, something just doesn't look right about a 3.5"+ lapel and a two-button. To me, nothing looks better than the Neapolitan cut 3r2.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

The 3r2 has a very long history. It's particularly popular now but not like it's some newfangled detail the kids made up.

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yup, it's been around since the early 1900's (perhaps earlier?). Favoured by both American trads and Italians (and of course, iGentry).

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Looks like it's you against the SF world on this one, mimo (also a fan of 3r2).

12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Personally, I've never cared for it. If the lapel is rolling to the second button anyway, then the top button just seems kind of superfluous to me. Just seems like a 2 button suit with a third button on top for show. Really hard for me to imagine how this makes the suit in any way more elegant than a normal 2 button suit.

13. archibaldleach

^ In the interest of full disclosure, I am seriously considering getting every suit and odd jacket I order from now on with only one button. I figure if I don't like it, I can always have additional buttons / buttonholes put in.

14. AJL

AJL Senior member

Isn't there a different buttoning point for a single button jacket, therefore, wouldn't the buttoning point be off if you added a 2nd one? Never owned a single button jacket, so just a guess.

15. archibaldleach

The button that is actually being used, whether it be in a 3r2, 2 button or 1 button should be at pretty similar points I believe to preserve the fit and lines of the jacket. I may use a slightly lower buttoning point for a 1 button jacket, but we're probably talking about 0.5 inches or so. I can't imagine the difference being that dramatic.