Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

About 60% of your federal tax burden (and by this I include income, social security, FICA, etc. since there's no sensible reason to distinguish between them) goes towards what is called non-discretionary spending: social security, medicare, medicaid, interest on the national debt. Aside from interest, the bulk supports the elderly. Medicaid, of course, supports the poor, but it's the smallest of these programs and also one of the more humane things we do. Also, you're not "paying into" social security. You're supporting current beneficiaries, again, mainly older people.

Of the remaining 40% of federal spending, 25pp's goes to the military. One can, of course (and I do), question the wisdom of this, but it's hardly social welfare. So, only 15% of federal spending is non-defense, non-discretionary spending. This covers the full range of government activities from building roads to NASA to the Commerce Department and so on. There's really not a lot in there for freeloaders.

On a state level, you live in Virginia, so your marginal income rates are pretty low. Your real estate and personal property taxes are assessed on a local level (presumably Fairfax or Arlington) and go mainly to support your local schools, which are very highly rated and contribute to inflating the value of your house, making you a direct beneficiary even if you don't have kids.

There's loads to gripe about in the US tax system, but for me its mainly its complexity and insufficient progressivity. By any global comparison the effective rates are rather low. (says the guy, btw, who is moving to zero-income-tax Dubai tomorrow)

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Can we start calling you Sir Mimo? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

[​IMG]

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i dont "need" much of anything, but at present i only have one navy SC (another to be made soon) both solid. this would be a great addition. im 99% sure ima kop.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

You might still get it slightly cheaper at Bloomingdale's in NYC. From another thread some jackets in SF discounted to 800 then half of that off apparently. It's not $290 though.

6. TweedyProf

Formosans, how wide is that lapel? 4 inches? 3.5 inches is a sweet spot for me; 3 inches I'll tolerate (I'm guessing the Eidos Tipo is 3.25). Is the wide lapel a Napoli characteristic, so a fairly constant feature of that tailoring?

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If you're going to be angry about taxes, be angry about corporate tax levels and loopholes that exist therein. Corporations can be 'people' and still not have to pay taxes.

They're closer in stature to your friend on food stamps to the poor that need the benefits.

8. in stitches

Idk, the price they are offering me is plenty fair, Im not about to run around calling stores to see who has it a little better. Unless someone has a link of course. :)

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Bloomingdales doesn't have that jacket. I don't think they have anything you'd be interested in, Stitchy.

10. in stitches

Yeah, I am going to kop. Final answer. You owe me money for this MF!!

11. TweedyProf

12. in stitches

Monkeyface Monkeyface, what do you see?

I see an Eidos jacket looking at me.

13. TweedyProf

Greg just posted this. Compare and contrast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The exercise is Tipo versus Lorenzo which as Greg pointed out are pretty different.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

How wide are Formosa lapels? My coworker's comment on it was, "It is as wide as a landing strip for a 747."

15. TweedyProf

Dude you own one, measure it. I have to say, it gives me pause. I'm guessing 4 inches?