Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I haven't really followed the fit saga upthread Noodles, but IMO that's not bad.
    There's always funerals, touch wood.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

This one annoys the hell out of me too. It also tends to be people who went to MBA programs that are not particularly prestigious. Hell, I don't put "JD," "Juris Doctor" or "Esq." after my name because I think it's just a bit much. Anyone who is reading your resume and cares can tell you went to whatever graduate school.

3. archibaldleach

And Noodles, keep the navy suit for now but sell the black one.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Noodles if you will never wear them, then sell them at 300-400 which is better than 0.

But why not keep them as beaters (crappy weather, travel)? Plus, you might occasionally use the black suit for somber events (not often hopefully).

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Couldn't agree with you more. I have colleagues who went to Wharton and Stern. Both worked at Wall St. Both don't say jack about their background nor do they try to put MBA on their business cards/resume/etc. But we also have this one Mr. IDIOT, MBA who went to a 2nd tier business school and always talks about his school, puts MBA after his name, and even created a big name card to put in front of his cube. We just shake our heads.

For the record, I put CPA after my name. [​IMG]

6. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

What to do with that black suit.

1. put it in the fireplace

2. douse it with gasoline.

3. light it.

4. film all of this for us to enjoy.

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

The black RLBL suit is getting no attention. Everyone wants the navy one.
    When I showed Mrs. Noodles the RLBL suit, she was like...
    [​IMG]

8. kulata

kulata Senior member

She's been browsing SF

9. archibaldleach

I think CPA is a fair thing to put after one's name, since being a CPA has meaningful professional connotations that a job seeker or similar person may want to show and could cause someone to look at your resume a bit more closely. I'd say the same thing for something like the CFA charter (though really only for a resume, not for a professional bio or on a name tag outside one's cube).

10. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

The reality is that one plays the game as best one can and it is the rules of the game that defines our behavior. The US is a competitive, striated society and one way to discriminate oneself is by thrusting one's accomplishments forward. To do otherwise is to risk losing the competition. It sounds like Sweden chose to change their game and intentionally adjust its culture of egalitarianism. So I'm sure it is quite gauche there to list ones credentials like an over-eager boys scout with his arm fulls of merit badges. Not so in the US.

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Gotcha.

12. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Pretty much all the other Scandinavian countries (but Sweden more so than the others) have a long tradition of strong labour unions and a Social Democratic Party that up until the last eight years had been in government pretty much continuously since the 1930s. So the road to egalitarianism has been on the political agenda for the better part of a century. I would never use a title in daily life (not even the Swedish equivalents of Mr and Ms./Mrs are used much at all these days) and you either get addressed by your given name or your full name if necessary. Same goes with credentials and such which rarely gets used other than to describe/identify a person's profession.

Somewhat paradoxically Sweden is also at the same time one of, if not the most, "Americanised" country in Europe, with a very strong US cultural influence over the last 30-40 years it so. As I said earlier, I've spent five years in North America and have seen the cultural differences first hand, which is always quite fascinating to me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

sadly, this. sell if the offer is still there. though if the person is reading this thread you are probably about to get lowballed.

14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes, but he’s the only one who gets to be called ‘Doctor’ AND ‘Professor’.

I hope Claghorn is taking notes. This is the kind of thing he’ll have to put up with if he persists in this foolishness. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

[​IMG]