Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Aging sucks. It was an abstract construct for me until the last few years, where I have really started to notice the changes. Of course, I'm in a state of almost continuous exhaustion because of young children and demanding work, but aside from that the changes in flexibility, the recovery time after exercise, the propensity for strains and pulls, and the depressing drop off in athletic ability is quite lamentable. For these reasons, it was quite satisfying last weekend to find that my limited workout opportunities had yielded bench and shoulder presses the heaviest they have been in 3 years.

Oh, and what a great gesture, Ping.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yes, getting old is a witch. But it beats being dead.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Honestly, old age and kids are the two main reasons I decided to get serious about fitness again. I was starting to get too many old man pulls and strains related to carrying the kids and having them surprise me by jumping on my back or whatnot. It's why I focus so much on my core and legs now whereas in my pre-kid days I largely ignored both.

That, and making sure I'm a vibrant and fit 60 when the last one finishes college.

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

How can you be sure of that?

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Dang~
    Sounds like getting old sucks. I think keeping myself active will prevent my body from deteriorating faster. I just eat right and exercise. I have cut out alcohol (since March 2014) but it appears I've replaced it with Diet Coke. I am trying to cut this out and start drinking water again since I have noticed that it makes my breath stink! [​IMG]

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

You raise a fair question. He can't be. But the evidence suggests he's likely right.

7. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Senior member

Try drinking tea, without sugar or milk. No calories, lots of good stuff for you. More flavor than water. I lost 30+ pounds and tea played a part. Diet and exercise might have helped as well. ;)

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

An apocryphal quote from the late Australian billionaire Kerry Packer, who was successfully resuscitated after a severe heart attack:

"Mate, I've been to the other side, and I'm telling you now, there's fucking nothing there."

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I have been told that pilates is really good for building core strength and stability that is important for spine health. It's used as rehab for many patients.

I'd like to try something like that as well. I need to start trying to get to a yoga class once a week or so. I have access to it at the gym I use. Might as well try it.

I need to get to a climbing gym as well... There's one not too far from where I live. Maybe once this grad school saga is over...

That said, as a young buck cyclist, there were many older guys who could kick my ass. Don't discount that for cardio purposes. Although you need to do other stuff to keep yer bones happy!

Dude. Stop drinking soda only. It's disgusting. Water is good for you and it tastes fine.

Yeah, I guess green tea or whatever works as well, but I seriously don't understand the american aversion to water.

10. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Raw silk is probably great in the summer, but you have to remember I live in a place where we have about two months of warm weather every year and for those two months I pretty much never wear tailored clothing. Also, they kind of look a little sloppy to me.....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. in stitches

Well, I could give you a long religious reply, but I will pass. That being said, I am picking the land of living for as long as possible.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Anyone care to join me for some tea? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. in stitches

Is Noodles asking us to teabag him?

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Well, after various diversions regarding spinal health and the afterlife (or lack thereof), it's back to good ole' Good Natured Advice.

Thoughts on this tie?

[​IMG]

Is it just a little bit too much of a good thing?

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Heck no! Get that now!!!

...and yes, I would enjoy getting teabagged!

teabagging
    the insertion of one man's sack into another person's mouth. Used a practical joke or prank, when performed on someone who is asleep, or as a sexual act.
    At the frat house last night, when Tim was wasted an down on the floor, he got teabagged by, like, ten guys!

Me and Jen were teabagging last night when her mom walked in. Awkward.
    ...$#!T! never mind!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014