Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Have you tried just rolling it a bit tightly and leaving it for a day or so? That’s always the first thing I try, as it’s the safest.

You probably don't need to be told this, but future readers of this might: if one does press a tie (last resort IMO) try not to press over the keeper, as this can give you a crease on the front of the tie that can be well nigh impossible to remove.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I would not say I am as into weight management / sculpting my body as I am into clothes (I love good food and drink far too much to be too gung-ho), but I've recently decided to be a bit more conscientious about working out and eating a bit better / drinking a bit less. I've kept most of my gains from weightlifting over time, so my focus has been more on cardio and losing a bit of weight. I've currently been doing 45 minutes of cardio a day for about 7 weeks, added 60-90 pushups a few weeks ago and do a bit of supplemental weightlifting, pullups, etc. to keep my strength up. As a result, I've been able to fit into a couple pairs of pants that I would not have fit into 2 months ago and my other clothes are a bit looser around the waist. Within reason one can get pants taken in, so I'm not too worried about making any of my clothes obsolete.

IMO the ideal is to be in at least reasonably good shape and also have the nice clothes. Good tailoring can mask physical defects, but if you eliminate the defects, that's less work for your clothes to have to do. With luck I'll be where I want by mid-September in time to place a large trouser order and really work on nailing a good and consistent trouser fit.

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I am not about to start growing a big bushy beard and handlebar moustache, but I will admit to favouring certain recent trends in men's hairstyles.

So yesterday I hied me to my trusty Shanghai barber, Wan XingXing (万星星, for it is he) armed with pictures of male model extraordinaire Ricki Hall's resplendent tonsure.

Results below.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Only problem with this style is that it will need to be re-cut on a maximum weekly basis to stay looking sharp.

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Regarding body sculpting etc, at the age of 28 I got sick of being a 98lb weakling and started lifting weights. I'm what's known as a "hardgainer". It took a really long time for me to show any muscle for the amount of work I was putting in, despite a balanced program and reasonable technique. Like most people, I have particular problem areas. My shoulders in particular just never get any bigger. But that's life.

With ever-increasing travel commitments I have been unable to keep the gym routine up in the last couple of years, and my exercise program is in tatters, but funnily enough, I have lost body fat during that time and right now am the slimmest I've been for 20 years. I'd like to lose a bit more around the midriff, but not so much I start looking unhealthily gaunt.

One problem I find as I get older is that my spine is shortening. This of course happens to everyone, and it starts in your late 20s. The effect is that your rib cage gets closer to your pelvis, which is why very few people over 40 can maintain a slim waistline even with low body fat. I always had a barrel chest and this is worse now, in fact it's my number one fit problem with suits and jackets - lapel bowing is very common for me.

Another problem is that I have a structural stoop, or thoracic hyperkyphosis as it's known medically. This is due to Scheuermann's Disease, a very common condition in adolescents where the thoracic vertebral bodies collapse and become wedge-shaped. It's immediately obvious on my lateral chest X-Rays and I most likely have had it since my late teens. I remember my parents saying "don't slouch", and being pissed off because I wasn't slouching.

So these are some of the annoying structural defects one accumulates with age. Nothing to be done about it. I really should get fit again though.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. my wife knows my passcode. it irks me, but then again, if i had anything to hide, she would be all the more in the right.

2. i wish i was better about maintaining my body/physique.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The weed law in the Bay Area was passed in like 2007 or 2008. I visited.

---

Marriage stuff: my wife has all my passwords, phone included, and I hers. It wasn't like we agreed on it (though we did select each others phone passwords). Just sort of happened. That's fairly standard, right?

One thing that annoys me is that she feels no compunction digging through my briefcase. Organizing it. Double yoo. Tee. Eff.

8. in stitches

is that a euphemism?

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

From what I understand, Scheuermann's doesn't necessitate surgical intervention unless you're starting to scrunch your organs together. Did they recommend you start wearing a brace for correction? Not sure if it helps at this point or if it's even a treatment modality.

Having dealt with back stuff since the ripe old age of 20, I feel your pain. Though if your greatest symptoms are 'meh' fitting jackets, you're doing great!

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Re: spine compressing, isn't that part of what yoga is supposed to prevent?

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Farm to table.

Bicycle commuters and municipal bike rental/bike sharing programs ( in greater Boston, Hubway, where they actually take up quite a few rare and valuable parking spaces. I guess there's a subtle hint submerged somewhere in there. Cambridge, where pedestrians have always been of the annoying, entitled variety--read Harvard--now even more annoying as low-carbon footprint cyclists, who run red lights at will, but curse and give you the finger if you happen to be proceeding on green while they are zigzagging through, oblivious of lights/crossing signals).

Airbnb

Uber

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've actually had a pretty good last few months for fitness. I've been on a program where I lift twice a week and run twice a week. The lifting involves a full body lifting session where I alternate between upper body and legs/core with no break in between the lifts and aiming for 8-10 reps per set and end with 5-10 minutes on planks and other core exercises. This keeps my heart rate fairly close to my target zone for the duration of the workout so that I get the cardio and the lifting benefits. For the running I should be running intervals and stepping up my game, but I keep just running 5K's.

I lost virtually no weight (maybe 3-4 pounds), but lost almost all of my belly fat and added bulk and definition very quickly. This, however, has more to do with lifting seriously from 1991 through 2006 and the resultant muscle memory than something special about me or the workout. It's been fun, however when I've been asked by neighbors at the local pool how long I've been working out and I answer 3 months.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Scheuermann's was in my case a retrospective diagnosis, made in my 40s. The changes probably occurred during my early-teenage rapid growth phase and have now stabilised. I was not a yoga practitioner at that time, alas.

It's a skeletal condition, and difficult to imagine how the deformity could be corrected once established. From Wikipedia: "Patients suffering with Scheuermann’s kyphosis cannot consciously correct their posture. The apex of their curve, located in the thoracic vertebrae, is quite rigid." Also: "Interestingly, many with Scheuermann's disease have very large lung capacities and males often have broad, barrel chests. Most people have FVC [forced vital capacity] scores above average." That's me to a T.

Some say that rolfing can help. There's another German physical therapy called the Schroth method, which I might investigate further one day. My problem is very mild and, thus far, I've been too lazy to do anything about it. Certainly I would never consider back surgery - too extreme.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, some of the long fusions I've seen have been nuts. I mean the curvatures are EXTREME, but a cervical to sacral fusion with ilium fixation is no joke...

@unbelragazzo , I don't know that, but I do know that yoga often has a pretty good mix of flexion and extension which is a good thing since most activities tend to have one far more than the other. Those degenerative changes are totally normal though. It's part of aging. Doing things like yoga are certainly better than say running for example since it places less strain on your joints in the long run. That's why cross training is a good idea regardless.

Spine compression stuff happens just with walking as well. It's a side effect of being a bipedal creature.

15. in stitches

i can totally see unbel as a massive yoga junkie. i bet he looks toight in yoga pants, too.