Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It was $330, so not exactly super expensive, but I understand that different people have different standards when it comes to that.

I like the fact that it's not dark, as I've owned/own dark leather jackets, and I actually prefer the lighter colour. It adds a touch of lightness to any outfit, a much needed way of brightening a depressingly grey day.

It'll look bad ass in the snow (think spec ops with all white outfits), but it's also suitable for a nice spring or fall day, where it's sunny but still cold. The warmth of the jacket is perfect for the UK climate, and I can pretty much wear it year round if I wanted to. I suppose it's more of a niche item in climates with more extreme temperature swings.

Indeed, if I was looking for the most versatile items I'd only buy casual navy blazers, light blue OCBDs and grey trousers. Pieces like this are what make clothing fun, and it's a perfect way of rounding out a versatile wardrobe, adding some personality to it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. AJL

AJL Senior member

This. Looks like an excellent fit, though the lapels do have that modern/retro, slightly skimpy look to them. Not terrible by any means, and if you really like the jacket this shouldn't be a deal killer. In truth, no one outside the forum would look twice at the lapel width (but then, we are inside the forum, aren't we? :devil:)

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Stop by Carson Street Clothiers if you're still in NYC, they have 60-70% off on Eidos. Bloomingdales in midtown has 50% off Eidos, and wider selection. It's a steal for fully canvassed stuff.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I like it. Not quite a staple piece but could add to a wardrobe with at least a couple of tweed jackets.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks all for feedback.

Summer jackets? How much and what fabrics? Are you in NYC?

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yep, I'm in NYC.

Some summer, some 3 season. Jackets for about $350-400, suits for about $650. There's an awesome raw silk suit and a solaro suit at Bloomingdales, lots of nice windowpane jackets, some plaid jackets as well. They had a big selection when I was there last week, but you never know how fast things sell.

CSC has a slightly smaller Eidos collection, but has lots of other interesting stuff and bigger discounts, and Soho is a nice area for shopping and sightseeing anyways. You can walk down to Chinatown, go to little Italy or walk up to meatpacking or Chelsea, so you can see lots of things in a short time.

This is the jacket I picked up yesterday, fully lined and wool/silk, so definitely 3 season:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Greg!
    I was in NYC but I was with my inlaws so there was no getting away from them. I am sorry but I was just giving u a hard time. I will reiterate the fact that you guys are just awesome. I would love to visit one day since it is close. I will book it and get your permissipn first. My apologies for making it sound like you guys did something wrong. This is absolutely not the case.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

MF I'd happily grab a drink with you but I'm tied up at a conference. Next time...

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No worries, I am should be working right now, and have made dinner/drinks plans for tonight already. Enjoy your conference, hope you get the chance to do some more sight seeing and possibly some shopping!

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Eidos had impressed the hell out of me. Can't wait to see the lineup from NMWA.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Hm. I guess i just haven't seen that many light leather jackets in fits. Any cool pics to show?

Looking forward to seeing the jacket enter MF's rotation!

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Can someone tell me when NMWA will restock so that I can empty out my savings?

That is unless someone tells me Formosa suits dont fit me properly...

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

New Fall offering will probably drop in mid September....I'm guessing. No idea about restock of last years lineup. Didn't Greg say he hasn't re-ordered yet? How are you going to order anything? The jacket you need comes with trousers that are two sizes bigger than what you have. Are you going to try and have them tailored?

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Actually, filling out missing sizes on the existing styles is in the queue behind the new FW14 styles and the three MTO sport coats. So I wouldn't expect anything on size restocks until late October, early November. Sorry but the capacity of the workshop is very limited.

Noodles, happy to hear that we didn't drop the ball there. Please visit next time you're in town.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Not sure. I think I can get by. But it wud be ideal to have pants size 31.