• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very bizarre....did you check to see if they have security cameras?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that selectively what was stolen, just socks & underwear?

Yep, my shirts were still there. It's the weirdest thing.

Not a good one.

Somehow, someway, I think the Craiglist personals have a role in this and your socks and underwear are going to show up in an adult services listing offering to sell used underwear and socks. I feel dirty just typing that.
uhoh.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somewhere in the housekeeping dept of the hotel, a deranged cleaning person is fondling your wool socks...

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very bizarre....did you check to see if they have security cameras?

Yeah, reviewing the footage tomorrow.

Somehow, someway, I think the Craiglist personals have a role in this and your socks and underwear are going to show up in an adult services listing offering to sell used underwear and socks. I feel dirty just typing that.
uhoh.gif

Haha, I was wondering the same, but by that time they were nearly done with the cycle, so they were pretty much clean.

I was pissed off about it, but it's only socks and underwear. It's not cheap, but I can easily replace them, and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it in the first place.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yo, MF, really sorry about that, just couldnt help myself. its not my fault you have nice socks.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in the housekeeping dept of the hotel, a deranged cleaning person is fondling your wool socks...

or Tarantino is a guest

Pbayvip

Reaction score
I have an off topic question for all noodle-followers:

Now that the whole Passaggio Cravatte story is over, what is your opinion regarding unlined ties and the number of folds?
In other words, are unlined 7-folds really worth the premium price asked or not?

I have some unlined ties from Cappelli and Vanda, and the grenadines do have that "airy" feel… but the rest - well, from the other person's perspective (when tied around my neck) I guess they look no different than standard 3 fold lined ties. I have a few Charvet ties, from the time before I discovered SF, and although they are standard lined ties, the silk feels great and they drape beautifully.

Also, I am somewhat concerned for the longevity of my unlined ties - they feel very…I guess "fragile" would be the right word… like the material could be easily distorted without the lining.
Is this just the feeling when someone is used to heavier, lined ties?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an off topic question for all noodle-followers:
Now that the whole Passaggio Cravatte story is over, what is your opinion regarding unlined ties and the number of folds?
In other words, are unlined 7-folds really worth the premium price asked or not?

I have some unlined ties from Cappelli and Vanda, and the grenadines do have that "airy" feel… but the rest - well, from the other person's perspective (when tied around my neck) I guess they look no different than standard 3 fold lined ties. I have a few Charvet ties, from the time before I discovered SF, and although they are standard lined ties, the silk feels great and they drape beautifully.

Also, I am somewhat concerned for the longevity of my unlined ties - they feel very…I guess "fragile" would be the right word… like the material could be easily distorted without the lining.
Is this just the feeling when someone is used to heavier, lined ties?

i'm really not fussed either way. The unlined Vandas r made for hot climates, as u say, airy, but I haven't had any probs with distortion. I'm happy enough with Cappelli's 3-fold + lined construction too. I don't discern any functional or aesthetic difference between lines/unlined or 3 vs 7 fold, but I've heard it said that 'a good, light lining has many advantages including knot shape, drape and recovery of the tie'.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think 7 fold ties are worth the premium. To me, the value of the tie is mostly in the design and color, not in construction.

Pbayvip

Reaction score
I think you guys are confusing un-lined with un-tipped. Though capelli calls his un-tipped (which are lined) ties un-lined, which of course make it more confusing!
You, Sir, are quite right! I am in no way an expert, just a simple, somewhat confused tie-wearer….just trying to find out whether a price premium is worth anything. I am going to spend the money anyway, just contemplating should I buy five standard ties, or three 7-folds (for the same price).

:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics