Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Got it, sir! I will leave the jacket alone. Only the sleeves are being worked on. The pants will be let out just a bit around the waist and the length shortened as well. I like the cuffs on the pants and I think it goes well with the tradition jacket.

So is this the tie that's on the man-e-queen? (I searched back to when we were talking about it but couldn't find the exact one.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...lled-unlined-grenadine-tie-white-stripes.html

[​IMG]

By the way, I am shopping for an odd trouser and the only thing that seems to fit me well are the Red Label Hugo Boss. I think I need to bulk up my thighs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@The Noodles , 50R looks great on you. And it looks shockingly good with that t-shirt. Maybe you should try some Swd stuff in the future !

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the 50r does look great, noodles, but do not ever post with that suit and tee shirt. thnx.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks all for the comments. I think Donegal's are great, but this one is a bit too light for me and makes it more difficult to pair. I worry that it resolves to a taupe in the distance so a little gray rather than the sort of richness you get from a brown.

I'm torn on the windowpane as (a) I think with many that stronger panes are better but (b) sometimes you don't want the possible f*k you quality of a windowpane of that type, and something subtler is better but then (i) orphan? Might be offset a little here by the texture, so I'm tempted for a subtle windowpane on a more country fabric, but probably a pass.

The first three are interesting. If the first is more brown, might be the best. The steel blue is perhaps the second. I agree that they are not ueber versatile like a navy jacket but nothing is right?

The middle one intrigues me. I like the idea of the houndstooth in principle and this, with the brown overcheck might be interesting. But it would be outside my comfort zone.

5. in stitches

top is not a bad choice, i still prefer the bottom. (go ahead, make the joke).

do not get that windowpane unless you do a suit, in which case, hell yes.

6. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

You think that particular windowpane would be better as a suit, or do you have an issue with odd jackets made of any windowpane fabric?

7. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

A little late to the party but I for one will cast my vote for the Donegal. In my mind it's a surprisingly versatile colour, despite being on the light side. The Farmer's check looks good as a swatch but will, again in my mind, be hard to pair up. I have a similar jacket and inevitably tend to go with similar accessories and trousers most of the time. The patterns makes it more hard to pair than the Donegal, despite the jackets being superficially similar. Also +1 on the windowpane being better as a suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. in stitches

i think that windowpane is best as a suit. @Claghorn made a similar mistake not listening to me with a very similar fabric.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1

listen to stichala

For a SC, I think windowpane can work very well on a rough textured green or brown tweed. This is due to the casualness of the earthy colors.

But due to the combination of the vertical lines and navy color, a blue windowpane SC will draw the association of a suit. Something about the navy color + lines just communicates "suit" to me.

It's like a wide pinstripe with horizontal lines added. Looks very "banker" (navy pinstripe)

10. TweedyProf

Pingson

Been a while! Other trousers you wear with the donegal? I can see cream and perhaps a richer brown. Very light gray?

Stitches and jrd I agree on the pane.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@Claghorn check this out

12. TweedyProf

No pinstripe odd jackets for sure. But to my eye the first isn't bad (black trousers are however). I guess it doesn't scream orphan as much as pinstripes but maybe because I'm not around CBD environments much.

13. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Dark brown and cream definitely, I end up using various shades of mid-grey and chocolate brown most of the time. But then again I am on record thinking lighter jackets with darker trousers works just fine....

14. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Hey Gents,

Long time lurker

Stopped by my tailor looking for some ideas for the F/W season and he suggested going with a mocha brown in a wool Holland & Sherry City weight similar to this
    [​IMG]

It'll obviously be styled differently, SB with nothch lapels. I can see it as a jacket but I'm 50/50 on the brown suit idea. I've got the basics down, and am looking to branch out a bit (have a nice flannel Prince of Wales that pushes that a bit). While the subtle pattern fits my MO of not trying to stand out too much at work, this may be a little too blase. Any better thoughts?

15. TweedyProf

A rich brown is fantastic. Suit or jacket. There's a nice pic of Christof watzl in one. Google it And just look at the color. It's nice, much recommended.