Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

This fit got mixed reactions, but it made the composite thread. I think you could just as easily make the tie navy, shirt light blue, and shoes brown. It's a tough jacket color for sure, though.

[​IMG]

Also, the tag team challenge provided a few good example of light jackets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

All nice fits above...I'm a bit intrigued by the actual true colour of the trousers posted by EFV. They look like a very deep brown on my monitor. I hadn't actually considered that combination but he pulled it off really well.

3. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

They are indeed brown. It tends to work really well!!

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think the green tie balances it out. As well as the shoes obviously.

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cheers! They are darker than the jacket, but the light was uneven so the colour representation isn't perfect in this picture. They're milk chocolate brown (if that makes any sense).

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

as a SC, the bottom one is the only one i think could be called versatile. -- sidebar - i pretty much always dislike dark gray pants with a jacket and tie. very few are the exceptions, for me.

7. kulata

kulata Senior member

My choices: Sienna's Farmers Check - Very Versatile Oatmeal Donegal - Not really that versatile but every man should have an oatmeal donegal if the windowpane were bolder on #4 then I'd go for it

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Went to visit Field Tailoring with my Formosa. I asked Will to comment on the construction of the Formosa and he was impressed with all the handwork on the jacket. He also liked the fact that it was made with H&S fabric. Anyhow, the sleeves are being worked on right now and I want to take it in a bit around the waist. As for the shoulders, there is a bit of room that protrudes (cant be seen but can be felt). As for the pants, they were size 31 and I told him I'd come back to get those worked on when I lose another ten lbs. I've lost 10 lbs thus far in about 2 weeks now that I've stopped eating so unhealthy and I am doing 1000 jump ropes in 10 sets everyday. From what I can tell, Murl is definitely like this...broad shoulders and narrow waist. I hate you! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As someone who has something somewhat similar, this is clearly not the most versatile but will look [email protected]
    [​IMG]

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You say that, but go try and find me a RTW suit that doesn't come with trousers that are 4-5" too big. You'll have a different outlook afterwards.

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

Please can you expatiate on that? Are you messing with the shoulder extension?

12. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah I would alter the formosa as little as possible. Why are you pinching the waist of the jacket?? I don't think it's a flattering move based on what you've shown here. (I'm in the same boat/funky body shape)

Or did you mean trouser waist? In that case ok.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I won't do jack on my shoulders. I believe they are perfectly fine. It's just something that the tailor pointed out as he was feeling around the shoulders. Just a 1/4" or less big. The pants should be good soon. I wonder if I have to go Murl's route on all Formosa suits since I have skinny legs and somewhat narrow waist.

14. kulata

kulata Senior member

I won't pinch the waist if I were you, hour glass shape is as bad as pear shape IMO. Also, don't you like the comfort and room it gives you?

15. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

There's nobody who will give additional discounts for group buys if everyone gets the same size, right? Murls and Noodles, I'm ideally a 39 jacket and a 31 waist but often a 40 shoulder (Epaulet Weller, my Coppley Donegal tweed) gives the best fit.

On the other hand, this may explain why size 31 trousers in popular fabrics seem to sell out instantly from SF vendors.