Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I didn't know about that thread; thanks for pointing it out. Between it, the Bourbon and Scotch threads, and the affiliate vendors here, I'll be the best-fed, best-dressed homeless man in Minnesota in no time!

2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Seems like just a couple of years ago we were talking about how mad men had influenced lapels into shrinking.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Woah, he's back!

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

What do you think of these? For versatility etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Each has some positives and some negatives...none are clear winners to me, though if you forced me to choose one, I suppose the steel blue or the windowpane.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like the houndstooth with overcheck too. It'd make a great f/w jacket.

6. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I like the farmer's check and icy houndstooth. I think they'd both look great as sport coats. The steel blue looks a little light, and could be difficult to co-ordinate. Could just be my monitor though.

7. heldentenor

I love the Steel Blue and the Danube Marl in the abstract, but stumbled over pairings (not so much with trousers as with shirts--that's a lot of light blue for a top block). Of those you listed, the navy stitch windowpane and the icy houndstooth are my favorites--though that oatmeal donegal with gray/brown flannel trousers would be sweet, too.

Do you see sportcoats as conservative, or as a fun departure from suits? If the former, navy windowpane; if the latter, maybe the icy blue houndstooth. Either will look great!

8. TweedyProf

I think the steel blue is on the light side. You'd have to go with lighter gray flannels or tan but they aren't as versatile as a navy, which is why I gravitate towards the windowpane, though we have had discussions about whether windowpanes are too "suit like".

I do gravitate towards the houndstooth, and the overcheck might add some punch. The siena might work too, depending on how "red" it is, i.e. less red and more brown would be better in my book.

SCs are less conservative although that is a continuum isn't it? It is a fun departure from suits though, but I rarely see academics wear suits unless its for some admin function.

Heldentenor: did you opt for any (I think you were considering these too).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  9. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

On another note, I do in fact have a sport coat in a light shade that I struggle with in finding coherent trouser combinations. Perhaps I can have some opinions here?

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the fabric:

[​IMG]

10. TweedyProf

11. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Yes, I'd say it has a light grey base. I tried to get closer:

[​IMG]

12. heldentenor

I think the icy blue houndstooth is a great "update" on a traditional academic look. It would fit the work environment but would never be confused for dowdy.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because of a classic paradox-of-choice situation--I can't pick any of them without feeling regret at the ones I would be not purchasing. The olive windowpane was probably my favorite but it's been snapped up. At this point, if I jump for one, it will most likely be the navy windowpane stitch, though the lovat blue plaid is a dark horse too.

13. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Quote:

Darker gray that provides sufficient contrast would also be good. Also, I find I like to pick up the overcheck with a trouser if I can. You may be ale to pull out a darker khaki trouser with that yellow/orange overcheck I see.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  14. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Thanks guys, I'll try out a few of these ideas within the work week.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@TweedyProf, I like all of them except for the navy windowpane. To me it comes down to what is missing from your wardrobe.

I'd probably be all over the oatmeal Donegal but have a Harris tweed herringbone jacket in a similar color. The Siena Farmer's Check could make a nice second brown jacket if you already have a nice brown tweed jacket of some sort, but I wouldn't get it as your first brown jacket. The steel blue is a bit light but could easily work with the right shirt and gives a different look from a navy jacket. If you tend to wear a lot of blue shirts, I understand the reluctance, especially if you don't wear many white or ecru OCBDs. I think I'd prefer a navy herringbone or Donegal to this, but I definitely like the color if you have your navy jacket bases covered. I assume you have a navy blazer. If you have a dark blue tweed of some sort, I'd consider pulling the trigger on this. The Icy Houndstooth is lovely too.

My reason for not liking the navy windowpane is that it just seems too similar to a navy blazer to me. If the windowpane pattern was a lot bolder, I'd probably like it more. Here I think that this jacket just isn't going to do much that a navy blazer wouldn't do and doesn't add much to a wardrobe. Another navy blazer (DB if your current one is SB or a seasonal version) would be a better investment IMO.