• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just don't understand why she doesn't like wide lapels! I luv how they make my fathead appear smaller and looks bad@ss too. 

I think most people outside the CM forums have tastes that are very influenced by what is seen in advertising, on TV, in magazines etc (as do a lot of us as well). Even though the tight suits with narrow lapels are no longer heavily promoted by "innovators", they're still the most popular choice with the late majority and even a part of the early majority I suppose. And will probably be around for quite awhile. Unlike seasonal fashion, suit styles hang on a bit longer (which is both a blessing and a curse I guess).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "modern," very slim, short jacketed, skinny lapeled look, is very popular with the 20 something suit buying crowd, and i understand the appeal 100%. i imagine it will be that way for quite some time.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are just what's "in style" at the moment. Blame GQ magazine and celebrities. To each is own, but the lapels on that jacket are terrible. Otherwise, it looks very nice...I like the color.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that look is on it's way out already. It peaked around 2011/2012, and everything is going back to more conservative details. Lapels are getting wider, pleats are coming back, pants are fuller but still a bit tapered at the bottom, etc. The skinny look will probably be completely out of fashion around late 2016 early 2017.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone sig that please so we can hold MF accountable for his prediction. he will either get rotten tomatoes or a sick award, depending on how the future plays out.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinny and short are two different things, of course; they just happen to go together in current men's suit fashion.

If I had to predict, I'd say that the fashion for short jackets has probably peaked (we've all seen examples from recent designers where the jacket isn't much longer than a vest) and I expect the pendulum to begin swinging back toward a more traditional length within the next decade. I hope it does, since I can't think of any body type where the extremely short jacket is flattering, and it particularly disadvantages men who have big hips or are otherwise 'pear-shaped', which is a substantial proportion of men over 40.

Skinny's harder to predict, I think, especially with regard to trousers, since the tendency toward slimness has deeper roots, going back at least as far as WW II.

Cheers,

Ac

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Pitti is any indication of trends, suits will have matching shorts instead of trousers.

Also, socks will be purged from all wardrobes...

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If Pitti is any indication of trends, suits will have matching shorts instead of trousers.

Also, socks will be purged from all wardrobes...

Now that's funny....and possibly the scary truth!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to seem like I'm shilling for a brand here (no affiliation, and I only have one item of clothing from them), but is anybody in this thread as drawn to the Epaulet Factory Finds jackets as I am? There's a lot of chat about them on the Epaulet thread but a lot of those guys are mainly SWD. I see at least five fabrics that I would love to add to my fall/winter wardrobe, not including some of the gorgeous browns that are too close to stuff I've already got.

In no particular order:

1. lovat blue plaid olive windowpane
2. heavyweight navy windowpane
3. midnight check Harris tweed
4. blue Danube marl
5. steel blue Harris tweed

Are any of you considering these or others?

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Epaulet — all of my trousers are Walts. I would be all over the FF if I didn't hate Southwick shoulders so much :(

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tad slow on GNAT this Saturday evening, so I thought I'd go slightly OT and post my culinary work-in-progress.

Meat has been browned. Onions, garlic and herbs frying -

Time to deglaze the pan with a fine Western Australian white -

Then comes the tomato base -

Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, add the browned meat back in -

About two hours to go at this point. Soon I will prepare the gremolata. And (unless Clags gets mad at me), I will post updates as the evening progresses.

Oh, by the way, I'm wearing a Paul Smith linen shirt and D&G jeans. To cook dinner. What a freaking brand ho...

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't want to seem like I'm shilling for a brand here (no affiliation, and I only have one item of clothing from them), but is anybody in this thread as drawn to the Epaulet Factory Finds jackets as I am? There's a lot of chat about them on the Epaulet thread but a lot of those guys are mainly SWD. I see at least five fabrics that I would love to add to my fall/winter wardrobe, not including some of the gorgeous browns that are too close to stuff I've already got.

In no particular order:

1. lovat blue plaid olive windowpane
2. heavyweight navy windowpane
3. midnight check Harris tweed
4. blue Danube marl
5. steel blue Harris tweed

Are any of you considering these or others?

1, 3 and 5 perhaps, plus the light brown donegal as long as it's not too light (Pingson has a nice brown donegal though I couldn't find a pic easily). The issue, of course, is the fit of the jacket, and that I'm much less certain on.

I hope to try one on next week and can let you know, if any are left (Mike seems to think there should be plenty still next week).

The lapels seem on the skinnier side than I would like and am worried about the button stance and quarters, but this seems a more traditional jacket design than the LBMs which Epaulet also sells. I didn't see the Blue Marl, is that a recent one? I agree there are many tempting options there and at $500 roughly, not bad.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A tad slow on GNAT this Saturday evening, so I thought I'd go slightly OT and post my culinary work-in-progress.

About two hours to go at this point. Soon I will prepare the gremolata. And (unless Clags gets mad at me), I will post updates as the evening progresses.

Oh, by the way, I'm wearing a Paul Smith linen shirt and D&G jeans. To cook dinner. What a freaking brand ho...
Hope you were wearing an apron to deflect splatter!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads