1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Once you get burned by something that was MADE IN CHINA, then it's very likely that I will stay away for a long time.

When I google imaged patch pocket suits, this is what I got so I said helz no.
    [​IMG]

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

That is probably the most ridiculous post you have ever made, and I hope it does not cause you to change your username yet again. ; )

1. I am sorry that you got burned by a suit made in China, but do you really think that a $1000 suit supply suit made in China is going to be a piece of crap? You even tried them on didn't you? Did they not feel okay?

2. Great job finding an example of a patch pockets suit that looks like crap. I could find you 20 more like that without patch pockets. The point is, that nice patch pockets on a nice suit, assuming it is the type of suit that should have patch pockets, meaning not something ultraconservative, are fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

I like the idea of patch pockets on suits in theory, but to my eye they look best on casual suits. I have a tan linen suit with patch pockets, would probably do patch pockets on another linen suit or a POW flannel or houndstooth flannel suit. That said, worsted solids or stripes (or even a navy or grey woolen flannel) really look best with flap pockets IMO. If Rudals is going to be wearing a lot of navy, navy striped and grey suits, then I can see why he wouldn't be overly fond of patch pockets.

4. in stitches

Certainly a level of selection must be made when choosing a suit with patch pockets, but to rule it out out of hand is pretty silly imo.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Casual suit patch pocket flannel awesomeness
    [​IMG]

Just look at Stitches patch Panta suit...that thing is awesome.

Noodles, listen to the Stitchy one. SS and Kent Wang are two examples of well constructed suits made with nice (to very nice depending on $) fabrics that are MADE IN CHINA. Get some La Spalla and get your staples covered.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Deleted

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

8. in stitches

Talking to hisself now. This just keeps getting better.

If I could give you a custom title it would have to do with smeagol (sp?) from LoTR.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

"Precious 38R"

10. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Let me complicate things for you (it's fun). Timotune in his new suitsupply MTM blue cotton solaro :stirpot:

[​IMG][/quote]

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

This is what I don't understand:

Noodles can go to work without a jacket.
    Noodles will go to work without a jacket.
    Noodles doesn't want to wear odd jackets.
    Noodles wants to only wear suits.

Noodles. Wear odd jackets. Hella fun.

------

Noodles. Get an SS La Spalla. If you don't like it after a month, I bet someone in this thread will be willing to buy it from you for pretty much what you paid for it. As Stitchy pointed out, you'll wear through your suit(s?) without many (more than one) in your rotation.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Noodles don't do logics.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Fair enough. This should work then.

Hey Noodles, wearing odd jackets will make your head look smaller than it actually is. By splitting your body up into three color blocks as opposed to two (with a suit, you have the head block, then the suit block as the pants are the same color), the size of the head is actually deemphasized. Part of it is simply the increased number of items in the ratio. Part of this is that the eye now has three focal points. And, at least should the pants be lighter than the jacket, you'll have light, dark, light in your color blocks (or yellow, dark, light), drawing attention to your chest and away from your head (size).

14. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

[/quote]

SS should fire their entire advertising department and just have Timo walking around getting photographed in their stuff. He wears the hell out of their suits.

15. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

I'm a 40R. I generally think SuitSupply is shit but I'd probably buy the La Spalla from Noodles just so he buys it and wears it for a while to branch out, ha.