• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will's socks are Bresciani, which I stock as well. I used to sell Pantherella's but the Bresciani's are a much better sock and the mid calf ones stay up a lot better than the Pantherella equivalent. The cotton ribbed ones are generally thin yes, but the patterned ones like herringbone's, houndstooth's and pindot's are thicker. I get very hot feet in summer so I appreciate a thinner more breathable sock.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've picked up Falke's and Pantharella's through sales at STP for about $8-13 a pair (cotton versus merino). The pantharella's are ok, and while I would buy them again at discount, there are better options, I think.

I prefer the Falke's though they have many different "kinds". I have four paris from Bresciani through Mr. Porters when they would drop 50% in the first day of the sale (so about $15 a pair; first drops are only 30% now and they still sell out fast). They are great, I love them. Henry Carter is having a sale on them now at 30% but I think shipping from Aus would diminish the saving for us in the US. There's a subtle blue houndstooth I particularly like.

You don't need a ton, of course (not like buying tube socks as a kid), so I think spending a bit more for a few comfortable, breathable and reasonably long wearing socks is worth it.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Pantherella don't seem to make long socks in 100% natural fibres, which I prefer. Bresciani do, and I love mine (very similar to those from Henry Carter). I also get Gammarelli (luxurious wool) and Mazarin (light but robust 100% cotton) from www,meschausettesrouges.com, and some absolutely brilliantly bullet-proof cotton ones from www.blacksocks.com, though their selection is limited. All three companies(Henry Carter, MCR and Blacksocks) give excellent service.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got some new linen trousers. I'm going to post this in the Tailor's thread but sometimes feedback in here is faster. I like the fullness of the leg, they feel like wearing my pijamas. I don't know what could be done to clean a bit the back area of the trouser.

I just wanted to note about "fullness" in the leg. I have to say these look smashing. There's no need to go slimmer as people are wont to do, perhaps. The lines along the leg are clean and it's a nice balance of substantial and lean.

What's the ankle cuff measurement (width)? Are these from Luxire and if so, how was the process?

[I see what you mean about the seat though I wouldn't sweat it too much].

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys.

I was thinking of picking up a jacket with sleeve's that are too long and having them shortened. I'd be taking approximately 1-1.5 inches off, so we'd be at the 1st button. Would removing the button and the faux buttonhole stitching be noticeable or is it just better off passing on something like this due to the potential issues?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just wanted to note about "fullness" in the leg. I have to say these look smashing. There's no need to go slimmer as people are wont to do, perhaps. The lines along the leg are clean and it's a nice balance of substantial and lean.

What's the ankle cuff measurement (width)? Are these from Luxire and if so, how was the process?

I think a greater leg opening can look nice when the pants are creased like those are to appear more 'oval' from the front than 'stumpy'.

I agree that it looks great!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like thin socks at all.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You probably need to alter the curve of the seat, so that it follows the curve of your body more closely. The sewing part is as easy as taking in/letting out a seat, but your tailor does need to have an eye for taking measurements. I've done it myself on some pants, took me about an hour of hand stitching. Would probably take me 15 if I had a sewing machine.

I was thinking about this again and I was remembering the issue you mentioned once with some pair of Luxire trousers. That if you opened your stance a bit more the folds disappear so you just took in a bit the seat seam. Could this be somethingsimilar?

Thanks. The leg opening is 22.7cm just a bit short of 9". These are not Luxire, I have another pair of trousers from Luxire that I use the measurements of a Zanella but the fit was not that good. I think that with these trouser measurements they can do a nice trouser.
biggrin.gif

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of picking up a jacket with sleeve's that are too long and having them shortened. I'd be taking approximately 1-1.5 inches off, so we'd be at the 1st button. Would removing the button and the faux buttonhole stitching be noticeable or is it just better off passing on something like this due to the potential issues?

I've had the buttons moved and the faux buttonholes taken out of the sleeves of two Canali jackets, and with a decent tailor it won't be noticeable at all. If the jacket works for you, don't let sleeve shortening stand in your way!

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most likely, the removed faux buttonhole stitching will be noticeable.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in on socks, all. Based on your recommendations, I'm going to seek out some wool Pantharellas and some cotton Brescianis from ASW.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shouldn't be much of a problem. A competent tailor will move the button and faux buttonholes if needed. The only thing to keep in mind is that with such a drastic shortening you might also need to slim the sleeves a little bit, otherwise the opening might be too wide. Not a complicated thing to do though.....

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Depends on the material and how tight the stitches are. Might be problematic if cotton jacket (holes might show etc.), less so for wool. Color of jacket might hide this as will pattern. I.e. it depends.

The last time I had a tailor do it, it was frustrating for him (he said it wasn't worth his time). He did it carefully, but I could notice a small hole, so there's some peril (the material was a light, hopsack like weave).

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These are not Luxire, I have another pair of trousers from Luxire that I use the measurements of a Zanella but the fit was not that good. I think that with these trouser measurements they can do a nice trouser.
biggrin.gif
Howard Yount trousers fit me really well. I fear for the future of the company however, so at some point might be forced to have the pants copied, should HY (god forbid) fold. I only say this because customer service has been precipitously dropping on various measures and that is never a good sign in a company.

Luxire seems like (for now) an affordable option, so curious if people have tried the replication route from pants sent in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads